Wine

This is a pretty overhyped wine. It’s good, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not something I’d run after and frankly I wouldn’t buy it again. Strong red cherry palate with an unfortunate syrupy sweetness on the end that I can’t get past. Good amount of fizz though. And I’m not afraid to admit I got interested in this after seeing it on fuck that’s delicious. Usually they highlight some bangers - this was not one of them.

9FC06BBB-C139-4773-A088-20574D3B1925.jpeg

C06D32E6-48FF-4150-8E49-CAA45EB6FB8F.jpeg

A bunch of brewers/bottle shops around me turned me on to these guys and I’ve been really impressed. Pepper, juicy red fruit, plus acid, and powdery tannin. Real well integrated. Have a bottle of their Chenin that should pair well with all the heat down here in the next few days.

Layne i saw lolo wine posted a big cantina giardino drop on Instagram including chianzano. Please go get that wine so I can live vicariously through you. Thank you.

Cab franc / Malbec blend from the Loire. Great with a grilled steak and opened up nicely after 30 min or so. Funny enough, I met the winemaker in early March a few days before the world locked down. She and her husband were very antsy to be home. Anyways, highly recommend their wines.

2920BB80-BE3D-4A8B-B34D-4F5DDB8AE604.jpeg

Pheasant’s Tears chinuri with kebab. First time with this grape variety and wine. There’s a mescal smokiness to it that I absolutely love. Not nearly as astringent as other Georgian wines I’ve had, and I’m not sure if that’s unique to this specific grape or not. Tons of ripe apple, apricot, and tangy minerality to this as well. Honestly the smokey character really brings this one home. Really enjoying this wine.
If you’re unfamiliar with what Pheasant Tears is doing to preserve traditional Georgian grape varieties, do read up. They’re a really interesting project.

Kebab is chicken marinated in yogurt, brewed saffron, salt, pepper, cayanne, garlic, and chopped onion.

2AFCCD9D-BAC2-4ACD-801B-B89EF656916A.jpeg

Solid rose. Every time I’ve had rkatsiteli in the past it’s been a dry amber wine that has been very woody, astringent, and sour. This, on the other hand, is far more jammy. Still quite sour and dry, but it’s like biting into an unripe strawberry instead of an unripe persimmon. It’s good, but it doesn’t beat out the chinuri from a few days ago (which I bought a few more bottles of, I really really loved that wine).

FF1100A8-EC83-45C1-80EB-08FA4447D989.jpeg

Back