The Official Parenting Thread

Mine has fallen asleep brieflydoesn’t watch the kids playing out back, took them in her car without their booster seats ( emergency situation but regardless!), and we recently found one of my kids lit a candle and she was unaware of it.

level of attention is non existent and frustrating, because she was good the first day or two.

she’s taken to becoming a piece of my furniture, as my kids make their own breakfast and lunch, and lets them eat all the snacks up in a day.

won’t let my dogs out often enough and won’t lock them up when she leaves to prevent anxiety for the animals.

Super upset about it all and plan to talk to her about it with the ability to let her go on the spot, but willing to allow her to change into who I’m sure she is but just think she’s got too much going on to do the job. She’s disabled I believe, so lots of “I can’t put this in or take this out” stuff which we work around but it’s still so frustrating and makes me sad.

I applaud your patience and giving her chances.

After a few "second chances", and things haven't changed, then if it were me I'd let her go immediately. Kids are way too important to have someone around who's not paying attention. It takes 2 seconds for a kid to climb up and fall off a bookshelf, fall into a pool, etc...

And I wouldn't give her an ultimatum. I.E. "we will give you ONE more chance to perform better, or else we will let you go." This would only breed resentment and then who knows what she'll do.

Best of luck brother, you're much more patient then I would be.

I applaud your patience and giving her chances.

After a few "second chances", and things haven't changed, then if it were me I'd let her go immediately. Kids are way too important to have someone around who's not paying attention. It takes 2 seconds for a kid to climb up and fall off a bookshelf, fall into a pool, etc...

And I wouldn't give her an ultimatum. I.E. "we will give you ONE more chance to perform better, or else we will let you go." This would only breed resentment and then who knows what she'll do.

Best of luck brother, you're much more patient then I would be.
Thanks!

She apparently saw our ad and questioned my wife.
Wife will be sending response shortly to the tune of “engage, engage, engage “.

no ultimatums, but I want her to know what we are saying aren’t suggestions, but rather requirements that apparently were not explained or understood.

she’s a sweet lady, and I’m sure means really well, and by all I know has been successful at this. Perhaps she’s just too busy with extraneous things and feels my kids are independent enough she can let her guard down.

I also just found out due to her lack of supervision the kids used coffee creamer instead of milk for their cereal. It’s sad and funny at the same time.......

So to add: she ignored the main issues, claimed she did indeed have some other issues to deal with but the kids never asked for help even when she offered.....

and instead of reading and comprehending she took offense to it, and instead offering to fix it or find a middle ground, said she’d remove us from her calendar and said best of luck.

wife asked why give up, if she said she was customer orientated and problem solver, and if she read the message?

then she said she misunderstood and said for us to talk and see if she wanted us to continue and that her feelings were hurt when my wife put the ad back up last night. Without even understanding we have to have childcare and did it as a backup, if we didn’t need her we’d have separated already.

We are done with her. She’s unable to do the job, too much going on, unsafe, and quite frankly the relationship soured with the fact she’d ignored what we said, worried about her own problems, and fed excuses.

I’m going to destroy her in the website review.

I’m going to destroy her in the website review.
Honestly, please do. We got taken in by bullshit positive recommendations, and a bunch of people on the parenting forum we used to belong to even joked about giving glowing referrals for nannies they thought were terrible because they felt bad about telling the truth and potentially tanking their ability to find a new gig after they fired them. That attitude makes the whole concept of reviews/recommendations useless.

How's everyone doing with shut down daycare? Wife and I have a 2 1/2 year old. We are trying to keep a schedule and make her do structured activities and fuck it's hard. She can do something for 5-10 minutes. Mostly we've been tag teaming watching her while the other tries to work. I couldn't imagine having a second kid or not having a second parent. We have been good at limiting TV at least, so for sure I would be leaning on that way more.

Was going to post this to COVID thread, but figured this was more relevant.

How's everyone doing with shut down daycare? Wife and I have a 2 1/2 year old. We are trying to keep a schedule and make her do structured activities and fuck it's hard. She can do something for 5-10 minutes. Mostly we've been tag teaming watching her while the other tries to work. I couldn't imagine having a second kid or not having a second parent. We have been good at limiting TV at least, so for sure I would be leaning on that way more.

Fortunately Charlie is pretty good at doing things by himself, but I think that doing an hour of exercise etc in the park in the morning is key here. He was pretty mellow all day but burned off a lot of energy biking to/around/from the park.

Day 7 here and it's getting tough. Fortunately my wife is a teacher so she has a whole skill set of planning and structuring out the days, along with getting learning times in. Our 7 year old has been great and we're really proud of how she's handling it. Our 3 year old, however, is a different story. Outside play time, walks around the block, etc. is a must. I'm still able to work from home, and she has stuff to work on as well, so we are also doing the child care tag team. We've also been good at limiting tv time, too, but it's unavoidable once it gets to the later afternoon.

Day 5 here, virtual learning or whatever they want to call it is pretty rough so far, wife and I are working remote and 11yr old daughter has been getting about 6 hours of work per day via Google classroom. Hopefully next week settles down a bit and she starts to get the hang of doing everything electronically.

i can’t even....🤣😆

I’ll leave one thing to remember... she’s 2.5. At 5-10 minutes you are doing good.

Time is moving at an outrageous pace now with the baby. It feels like we just left the hospital and it's already been 2 months. She's starting to smile more and I feel like a laugh is on the horizon. In the morning I'll take her in for a diaper change when I get up for work and when she recognizes my face she has the biggest sleepy smile. It makes me indescribably happy.

unnamed.jpg
Holy smokes it's been a long time since I've posted a picture in here. Long enough in dad years to start saying things like "holy smokes"

90158910_10158578002444505_5227698922696212480_n.jpg

How's everyone doing with the kids in lockdown? I start working from home Monday and I have a feeling this cute little monster isn't going to make life easy.

Good article - stay sane, parents...

Completely agree. Their lives have been changed too, let’s keep the perspective in place, perhaps a little fun with them can bring a little more joy than you’d expect.
My 3 have been pretty darn good thus far... as good as two 6 year olds and a 4 year can be.

Holy smokes it's been a long time since I've posted a picture in here. Long enough in dad years to start saying things like "holy smokes"

90158910_10158578002444505_5227698922696212480_n.jpg

How's everyone doing with the kids in lockdown? I start working from home Monday and I have a feeling this cute little monster isn't going to make life easy.

I telework 2 days a week starting when my little girl was born (in July). I have my own space in my basement /garage. After the initial kinks (the wife would constantly come down to check on me or tell down for me to help with things) things work pretty smoothly... As long as I don't go upstairs.

As soon as my daughter sees me she wants me to play with her and she cries when I go back downstairs. Currently holding in a poop, waiting to hear for them to go to her bed room to be put down for a nap.

Our little dude will be 7 tomorrow. Instructions from the school are just do "enrichment" and don't let their brains turn to mush. So school provides 30-60 minutes worth of ideas every day. Problem is, son is exceptionally bright and loves school and is so used to the structure and the ability to read and learn new things that I have to schedule pretty much every minute from 8am to 3pm or later and even then he still wants more. It's a great problem to have, but it's gonna get old really quick. Hoping we get an actual spring and I can just turn him loose outside.

Back