Show me the Honey (wine)! The official Mead, Honey Wine, Biere de Miel and Honey Spirits thread.

OceanOfMead

Staff member
anyone have thoughts on sending mead samples in Boston Rounds?
People do it. Still meads you don’t have to worry about maintaining carb, and because of the acidity they preserve better than a lot of other things but the types of meads people want sent in Boston Rounds tend to have a lot of adjuncts in them that are not as stable and susceptible to oxidation. Meads made with concentrates instead of whole fruit already have a head start at oxidation (you can tell the difference in color), so.... YMMV. As a mead professional of sorts, even if part time and on the outskirts, I don’t recommend it as it’s not good for the product, but I am not going to scold anyone for doing it.

But if you get one, and it’s oxidated, it’s rude af to put that in Untappd. That’s on the repackaging.

People do it. Still meads you don’t have to worry about maintaining carb, and because of the acidity they preserve better than a lot of other things but the types of meads people want sent in Boston Rounds tend to have a lot of adjuncts in them that are not as stable and susceptible to oxidation. Meads made with concentrates instead of whole fruit already have a head start at oxidation (you can tell the difference in color), so.... YMMV. As a mead professional of sorts, even if part time and on the outskirts, I don’t recommend it as it’s not good for the product, but I am not going to scold anyone for doing it.

But if you get one, and it’s oxidated, it’s rude af to put that in Untappd. That’s on the repackaging.
thanks for all the info!
i am planning to send someone a sample of Marshmallow La Hire which i opened yesterday. will ship on monday. figure it would be a nice surprise to go with the bottle of La Hire i'm sending to someone who hasn't had any pips. i'll just tell them that if it's not up to snuff than it's my fault, don't blame the mead.

also, marshmallow la hire is gooooood.

OceanOfMead

Staff member
thanks for all the info!
i am planning to send someone a sample of Marshmallow La Hire which i opened yesterday. will ship on monday. figure it would be a nice surprise to go with the bottle of La Hire i'm sending to someone who hasn't had any pips. i'll just tell them that if it's not up to snuff than it's my fault, don't blame the mead.

also, marshmallow la hire is gooooood.
Just make sure they open that one within a few days and not try to save it for a share or anything and I think it will be okay.

OceanOfMead

Staff member
711B4055-545A-4D91-9695-75522BBAEEEA.jpeg
I’ve known the guys behind Second City for a while, but they finally got their first member releases out last week.

A friend pulled this out Sunday at a socially distanced carry out meet. More cherry-raspberry than the other two, but I enjoyed it. For those looking for something with a more balanced product, this should fit the bill. Not overly sweet, overly acidic, overly syrupy. Might be a miss for some of the folks still seeking out the bigger, bolder, thicker stuff,but personally I liked it and can’t wait to see what else they pull out.