Show me the Honey (wine)! The official Mead, Honey Wine, Biere de Miel and Honey Spirits thread.

Aman is a beer store owner legend in Wisconsin. Wisconsin people are nice, and then there's Aman.

Also:

Hi Fear you handsome devil
I just thought it odd someone created this mead in untappd and adding “ASP1782” to the name. But now I just noticed that a lot of the Pips stuff is named this way in the app. So maybe it’s Matt? He’s pretty active on untappd or at least used to be.
I’ve only heard good things about Aman.

He is a delightful human. Have never actually been to his store.
Been to his old store but not his new one it’s about an hour south of us.

Fun fact way back when at the 2012 Assassin release (back when people gave a shit about Toppling Goliath) we hung out with Aman and his lovely wife all day. All of the locals were drinking IPAs and the non-locals were drinking unlimited Assassin on draft. Oh how much Assassin do you want? Two cases? Ok. Good times

I just thought it odd someone created this mead in untappd and adding “ASP1782” to the name. But now I just noticed that a lot of the Pips stuff is named this way in the app. So maybe it’s Matt? He’s pretty active on untappd or at least used to be.
To my knowledge the only time Matt has had bottle sales outside of his facility it has been at Aman’s. I think. Aman’s also has had exclusive beers from breweries in Wisconsin so ya he’s kind of a big deal

Nathan

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah looks like Matt named it that way so nothing for me to do.

OceanOfMead

Staff member
Now that we’ve firmly established my wrongness, let’s get back to the important stuff.
Nathan opened this yesterday in the middle of hot dog party in 95 degree heat. Not ideal conditions for a sweet, decadent mead and yet, it was still perfect

6FFA47B8-7040-47CF-81B8-F01B740AA61C.jpeg
6BB1D635-373C-4F00-A04B-0DD15EA4C349.jpeg
Nah fam, you just need an ice shaver. Perfect time to drink big sweet meads. This was perfect yesterday. It was super hot and humid, but the ice brought out the wine like tannins, and dropped out most of the perceived sweetness. It still drank like a sangria, I guess, but I had it with pizza and didn’t get any of the old person gut rot I tend to get after mixing bold mead with bold pizza. 🤣

OceanOfMead

Staff member
2A6BDBEA-13F4-4513-8C95-01BEC986B7A8.jpeg
B1 Statement still drinking like it’s fresh. Tart Balaton cherry backbone, sweet, but not overwhelming. I have a water sidecar to make sure I finish my pour because it’s still a robust beverage, but overwhelmingly the flavor is a bowl full of fresh cherries. I think it’s just a good wildflower honey with a strong basswood component (local midwest spring honey is killer) based on the aroma, but I don’t actually know for sure.

OceanOfMead

Staff member
Happy mead day!

This one is crazy good.

A07E8C33-C785-48FB-B579-47DB2280A04B.jpeg
I opened one of those the other day and enjoyed it.

catching up:
1A4B4803-C678-486B-A9F9-90F3B11D4DD7.jpeg
I think this is just a semi-sweet to sweet Traditional from Brussels. I liked it but a hair acidic (unsure if heavy handed on acid blend or just the honey, but the flavor was almost piña colada like without being actually pineapple or coconut flavored)8F435700-908C-4716-A89B-B00B32D5E20B.jpeg
Flight of meads from Imperialking.
775DF7CC-85D2-4404-838A-B73FE3ABC1ED.jpeg

Last edited:
So, for those of you who are Schramm’s Matzohs (proper N.Y. pronunciation of mazer), what were limits on Lord Jim b5? Seems like there will be no online sale for the time being.

OceanOfMead

Staff member
So, for those of you who are Schramm’s Matzohs (proper N.Y. pronunciation of mazer), what were limits on Lord Jim b5? Seems like there will be no online sale for the time being.
They had an IP sale at the retail partners first wirh B4 and B5, then put both on sale to Mazers first come first served (no limit mentioned in the email - I bought one each, the person I picked up for bought 2). So... I think they did it in reverse, basically