Let's All Go to the Movies

Speaking of Vertigo, holy shit, I watched Runaway with Tom Selleck, peak 80s Kirstie Alley, and Gene Fucking Simmons tonight.

Complete sci-fi Vertigo/Blade Runner rip-off I havent seen in at least 25 years. Horribly awesome with so much shit that seemed insane in 1985 but now everywhere like dead-on portrayals of drones and Ring doorbell cameras.

This movie is absolutely begging to be remade.

On Prime and could not recommend any more if you need a mindless movie.

Back to the Future 4K set is down to $30.99 on Amazon.

That's nuts. You should probably buy that if you're a connoisseur of Back to the Future like me.
Brad Gilmore is a writer, podcaster, announcer out in Houston who's also a BttF megafan, and he wrote a book called Back from the Future. Might be worth checking out if your a big fan.

I decided to watch American Utopia to cleanse my palate of that M. Night awfulness. So fucking good. I just feel happy and light. I really loved it.
It rules. I went in only seeing the performance on SNL a while back and not being familiar with Byrne's post-TH work but found this to be just a delight. The direction was really cool, too.
Speaking of Vertigo, holy shit, I watched Runaway with Tom Selleck, peak 80s Kirstie Alley, and Gene Fucking Simmons tonight.

Complete sci-fi Vertigo/Blade Runner rip-off I havent seen in at least 25 years. Horribly awesome with so much shit that seemed insane in 1985 but now everywhere like dead-on portrayals of drones and Ring doorbell cameras.

This movie is absolutely begging to be remade.

On Prime and could not recommend any more if you need a mindless movie.
When I was a kid, I was convinced I would walk into a bathroom one day and one of those little syringe robots would be waiting for me.

Last edited:
Watched Unhinged tonight. I actually don’t know what to say. Wife and I were just confused throughout the movie by how large Russell Crowe is now.

The movie is completely insane but I don’t want my $5 back.

source.gif

Following up on the earlier PTA discussion I watched Hard Eight tonight, and really enjoyed it. My official PTA ranking is now as follows:

There Will Be Blood
Boogie Nights
Phantom Thread
Hard Eight
The Master
Punch-Drunk Love
Inherent Vice
Magnolia

I also watched The Wachowskis' first movie tonight, Bound, which I quite enjoyed. An incredibly well constructed movie. It felt like a really amazing adaptation of a play because of how minimal the sets and settings were, but did things and presented the story in a way that a stage production never could. Jennifer Tilly is very good, Gina Gershon is cool, and Joey Pants is great. It's on Amazon Prime and I highly recommend checking it out.

Last edited:
So I was having a conversation yesterday with a friend about Kohl’s relocating their Amazon returns to the back of the store to increase foot traffic and impulse shopping. This reminded me of a scene from a movie that I cannot place and it is driving me fucking batty. I tried Googling the scene, but I must be getting something wrong because all it is getting me are results that will surely fuck up all my embedded ads as now my cookies indicate I am a working mom. If anyone else remembers this scene and can place the actress or the movie, please help. I am losing it. I thought it would come to me last night when I stopped thinking about it and I got jack shit. I want to say this is a movie from the 90s I have seen on tv a billion times but I am clearly an unreliable narrator here. I can hear the actress’s voice clear as a bell talking about her little boy but I cannot see her face.

The gist of the scene is there is a woman talking about coming to the mall (or is it a department store?) with her little boy and always needing to visit the toy store and how the placement of the store makes shopping stressful, but if they could move the store to get the toy shopping out of the way so the kid is happy and both are relaxed while the rest of the shopping is completed, they will make more sales than having the toy store at the back.

There is a chance I have flipped her argument backwards in my head but the more I thought about it, relaxed happy shoppers in a fictional movie is pretty equitable to people who are now annoyed with Kohls for making them spend extra time in a store they don’t need to for what was supposed to be a convenience drop off during a pandemic. Anyway, does anyone remember or have any ideas what in the fuck movie this is or am I having some Shazaam mindfuck moment and this does not exist at all?

The New Mutants is a whole thing. The kind of movie you can immediately tell was hacked to pieces by the studio. The viewer is thrust into a story seemingly midway through and from the jump is expected to care about these characters the movie doesn't bother to introduce. A torrent of bad CGI, bad acting, and no sense of meaning. Cliche teen angst that was obviously written by old people next to an attempt at edginess that fell on its face. Also an unnecessary teen shower scene complete with side boob that felt icky. There was a whole Nightmare on Elm Street/Cuckoo's Nest/Stephen King thing it half-heartedly went for that I appreciated but it didn't quite commit to the creepy horror/thriller.

For something that was supposed to be part of a bigger world, the story couldn't have been more isolated and in the end, meaningless. There is a passing reference to the X-Men but The New Mutants is its own contained story whose impact on an overarching storyline I would find dubious even if Sony had kept their own Marvel universe.
3/10

Back