• The first DDT Glassware is on sale! Check out the announcement here!
  • User TallJustin has put together a LIF to help a friend fight cancer. Check it out here. (If you don't have access, DM Nathan.)

US - West Arizona

Thanks for the input.

My daughter is 11 and a pretty active hiker. Definitely trying to do all the research I can, though, to make sure we're prepared for every hike we attempt.
Tucson to Sedona will end up being closer to 4 hours due to having to drive around Phoenix.

All of my in-laws live in Tucson and I am down there a few times a year. I have always enjoyed the Sonora Desert Museum and you'll see plenty of saguaro driving through the pass from Tucson. They even have a cacti garden at the museum with lots of different varieties. On your way back, grab a beer at Pueblo Vida and take your kid to the outdoor mercado (San Agustin) to eat on the patio at Seis (get the fried avocado tacos and chicken taquitos). More hiking would be Sabino Canyon and Seven Falls, Douglas Spring and Tanque Verde Ridge.

Outside of Sedona, hike up West Fork trail. It isn't difficult but you get to see the red rock canyons and get to cross the creek a bunch of times. Our cabin is just up river from the entrance and I've been up there tonnes of times. Your kid will enjoy it. Closer to Sedona townsite, look up Soldiers Pass. I usually hike it as a loop to see the seven sacred pools, the Mitten, Brin's Ridge, Hole in the Sky, etc.

If you make it up to Flagstaff, hit up Dark Sky brewing and take your kid to Lava River Cave. Not hard but neat to walk a mile in a lava tube, bring a flashlight!

Tucson to Sedona will end up being closer to 4 hours due to having to drive around Phoenix.

All of my in-laws live in Tucson and I am down there a few times a year. I have always enjoyed the Sonora Desert Museum and you'll see plenty of saguaro driving through the pass from Tucson. They even have a cacti garden at the museum with lots of different varieties. On your way back, grab a beer at Pueblo Vida and take your kid to the outdoor mercado (San Agustin) to eat on the patio at Seis (get the fried avocado tacos and chicken taquitos). More hiking would be Sabino Canyon and Seven Falls, Douglas Spring and Tanque Verde Ridge.

Outside of Sedona, hike up West Fork trail. It isn't difficult but you get to see the red rock canyons and get to cross the creek a bunch of times. Our cabin is just up river from the entrance and I've been up there tonnes of times. Your kid will enjoy it. Closer to Sedona townsite, look up Soldiers Pass. I usually hike it as a loop to see the seven sacred pools, the Mitten, Brin's Ridge, Hole in the Sky, etc.

If you make it up to Flagstaff, hit up Dark Sky brewing and take your kid to Lava River Cave. Not hard but neat to walk a mile in a lava tube, bring a flashlight!
Awesome, thanks!

A couple more questions:
1) Where should I go for the best mexican food in the Phoenix and/or Tucson areas?
2) Is there anything else to do/worth seeing in Prescott besides Superstition Meadery?

A couple more questions:
1) Where should I go for the best mexican food in the Phoenix and/or Tucson areas?
2) Is there anything else to do/worth seeing in Prescott besides Superstition Meadery?
All I can I add is that Travis, formerly of Societe Brewing, is now at LazyG Brewhouse. I'm definitely going to check that place out whenever I get around to visiting Prescott. Also Rickety Cricket won a medal or two at GABF this year if that means anything to you.

A couple more questions:
the best? there is no best. if you want approachable, the local sit-down chain Manuel's is good, similarly Tee Pee on E Indian School or Don Jose (nostalgic bias, favorite of my family, cash only) on E Thomas is also good. not really mexican but more Spanish, i'd highly recommend checking out Pa'la on 24th st. Tucson has El Charro, and you should get a sonoran dog if you're down there (lots of places for that too). not to mention the countless short-order *berto's places everywhere (berto's, eriberto's, Filiberto's, julioberto's) that could be hybrid baja/sonoran

A couple more questions:
As I mentioned before, hit up Seis in Mercado San Agustin while in Tucson. A bit fancier and super good would be Penca. El Charro and Blanco are also casual good options. As for Phoenix, there are a lot of places; TeePee, Aunt Chiladas, Mi Ranchito. OR... you could just go to Little Miss BBQ....

Prescott. Loved Superstition and looking around the shops in the building. We also just hung out across the street at Courthouse Plaza. A block away is Rickety Cricket which was a total surprise, in a good way.