US - West Arizona

Opened a can of Wren’s Dixileta last night with some buddies, makes me happy they do a lot of simpler BA stouts (ie without coconut, vanilla, candy corn, pancake batter), could happily crush a whole can. I can’t make it in town for next week’s anniversary fun but hoping to visit later this summer. Steel Toed Flip Flops is one of my favorite beer names of all time.

Opened a can of Wren’s Dixileta last night with some buddies, makes me happy they do a lot of simpler BA stouts (ie without coconut, vanilla, candy corn, pancake batter), could happily crush a whole can.

Dixileta was awesome, loved how it was more chocolate-forward than coffee, and I agree that it was refreshing not to have a super-adjuncty stout.

I can’t make it in town for next week’s anniversary fun but hoping to visit later this summer. Steel Toed Flip Flops is one of my favorite beer names of all time.

Let me know if you want me to grab a can of STFF for you, don't plan on maxing out. I'm Saguaro Society so will be preordering this weekend.

Dixileta was awesome, loved how it was more chocolate-forward than coffee, and I agree that it was refreshing not to have a super-adjuncty stout.

Let me know if you want me to grab a can of STFF for you, don't plan on maxing out. I'm Saguaro Society so will be preordering this weekend.
Much appreciation for the offer, but I’m all good. Poor wording on my part, wish I could visit during anniversary week as I’m sure the taplist/vintage bottles will be solid along with the anniversary beers. I joined saguaro society this year and love it, and my wife ends up spending more time at Wren than I do as she travels to Phoenix for work a couple times a month. Looks like she’ll be there the week after the anniversary and is planning on grabbing preordered cans. Thanks again for the offer though!

I will be in Phoenix next week for a conference, so will have relatively little time to explore. Some quick research tells me Wren House and Wandering Tortoise may be my best bets. Any thoughts contrary or anything else I must hit?

I will be in Phoenix next week for a conference, so will have relatively little time to explore. Some quick research tells me Wren House and Wandering Tortoise may be my best bets. Any thoughts contrary or anything else I must hit?

next week is wren house anniversary week and they've plenty of goodies in store so can't go wrong with the research you've done. helton is around the corner too. but long answer also depends where you are staying (metro phoenix is huge). fate (aka mcfate) is also good for beer and grub. az wilderness has a downtown location now that's super easy to get to.

next week is wren house anniversary week and they've plenty of goodies in store so can't go wrong with the research you've done. helton is around the corner too. but long answer also depends where you are staying (metro phoenix is huge). fate (aka mcfate) is also good for beer and grub. az wilderness has a downtown location now that's super easy to get to.

Staying fairly North.... We are going to be posted up at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa

Staying fairly North.... We are going to be posted up at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa

You're staying about 10 min north of where I live. Super easy to hop on the 101 then 51 to get down to Wren, Tortoise, and AZ Wilderness Downtown, about a 20 minute drive. Kings Beer & Wine is also in that area with a huge tap list, and Huss Brewing is a neat little spot at Uptown Plaza (Central & Camelback). A few other options in the general area are Helton, Helio Basin, and Mother Bunch but I wouldn't go out of my way for those.

For options closer to where you're staying, I'd recommend Scottsdale Beer Company if you head east about 10 minutes on the 101...beer is good and food is great...and OHSO, either the location in North Scottsdale or Paradise Valley. Less than 5 minutes away at Desert Ridge Marketplace is Whining Pig, a little basement bar with a pretty substantial tap/bottle/can list.

You're staying about 10 min north of where I live. Super easy to hop on the 101 then 51 to get down to Wren, Tortoise, and AZ Wilderness Downtown, about a 20 minute drive. Kings Beer & Wine is also in that area with a huge tap list, and Huss Brewing is a neat little spot at Uptown Plaza (Central & Camelback). A few other options in the general area are Helton, Helio Basin, and Mother Bunch but I wouldn't go out of my way for those.

For options closer to where you're staying, I'd recommend Scottsdale Beer Company if you head east about 10 minutes on the 101...beer is good and food is great...and OHSO, either the location in North Scottsdale or Paradise Valley. Less than 5 minutes away at Desert Ridge Marketplace is Whining Pig, a little basement bar with a pretty substantial tap/bottle/can list.
One other very nearby option is Mellow Mushroom, basically across the street from the resort (not in desert ridge, in the shopping center to the east, blanking on the name). Usually have a couple interesting things on tap.

Thank you both! Really appreciate the recs.

Any hikers in here? I'm heading out to AZ mid-November with my daughter and we have three full days to see the sites.

I was thinking of spending a couple days in Sedona, and then using the last day to do whatever. My daughter would like to see some classic desert sceenry (cactuses, etc) - Is it worth making the trip down to Tucson to hit Saguaro National Park? Is there decent hiking around Phoenix that also showcases cactuses? Sonoran Desert National Monument seems like it may fit the bill, but the reviews online make it seem a bit sketchy.

Open to any insights y'all have to share.

Any hikers in here? I'm heading out to AZ mid-November with my daughter and we have three full days to see the sites.

I was thinking of spending a couple days in Sedona, and then using the last day to do whatever. My daughter would like to see some classic desert sceenry (cactuses, etc) - Is it worth making the trip down to Tucson to hit Saguaro National Park? Is there decent hiking around Phoenix that also showcases cactuses? Sonoran Desert National Monument seems like it may fit the bill, but the reviews online make it seem a bit sketchy.

Open to any insights y'all have to share.

I'm not a hiker, but you'll see saguaro everywhere. how old is your daughter? Some trails are part climbing, gonna tag abawol01 maybe he can share his experience visiting. The NE valley, Scottsdale near the McDowell's and into fountain hills, has several trails with varying difficulty. Papago park, Camelback mountain have trails, but do a little research. Hikers are rescued enough for me to bring it up. November should be great weather though. Could even go further east to the Superstitions

The desert botanical garden also may be of interest if you want to see native Flora

Sedona to Tucson is around three+ hours. you'll find plenty to do/see between Sedona and Phx imo.

I'm not a hiker, but you'll see saguaro everywhere. how old is your daughter? Some trails are part climbing, gonna tag abawol01 maybe he can share his experience visiting. The NE valley, Scottsdale near the McDowell's and into fountain hills, has several trails with varying difficulty. Papago park, Camelback mountain have trails, but do a little research. Hikers are rescued enough for me to bring it up. November should be great weather though. Could even go further east to the Superstitions

The desert botanical garden also may be of interest if you want to see native Flora

Sedona to Tucson is around three+ hours. you'll find plenty to do/see between Sedona and Phx imo.

Thanks for the input.

My daughter is 11 and a pretty active hiker. Definitely trying to do all the research I can, though, to make sure we're prepared for every hike we attempt.

Back