The Disney+ Thread (streaming begins 11/12/19)

I am SHOCKED they kept Tiger Lily in this thing
My daughter’s school is doing Peter Pan for the play this year and she’s playing Tiger Lilly. Being we’re a bunch of Seattle libs, Tiger Lilly is now the leader of The Indies, a riot grrl punk band and there’s a heavy battle of the bands vibe to the whole thing. No more Indians, no more racist Disney vibes thank fuck. But she is incorporating some of our tribe’s colors and beadwork into her costume, which is pretty cool.

I am SHOCKED they kept Tiger Lily in this thing
They cast an Indigenous actress in the role so I think it remains to be seen how they handle the character in the script. Doesn't appear to be an offensively Spaghetti western type portrayal, so perhaps they can actually do a reasonable job here? A lot of eyes will be on it for sure.

Unsurprisingly the bigger uproar appears to be around Black Tinkerbell, because fairies are a) real and b) definitely white.

My daughter’s school is doing Peter Pan for the play this year and she’s playing Tiger Lilly. Being we’re a bunch of Seattle libs, Tiger Lilly is now the leader of The Indies, a riot grrl punk band and there’s a heavy battle of the bands vibe to the whole thing. No more Indians, no more racist Disney vibes thank fuck. But she is incorporating some of our tribe’s colors and beadwork into her costume, which is pretty cool.
Nephew’s school also doing Peter Pan. He is Captain Hook. 🤣

They doing the Indians or something different?
My dad only sent me the first page of the local article on it with my nephew’s photo that talks about him playing Hook. So no mention of them. They did say the girl selected to play Wendy was really “maternal” in 5th grade though so that’s a whole different cringe.

Back