The Disney+ Thread (streaming begins 11/12/19)

Ah, the Ana Lily Amirpour Star Wars project I didn't know I wanted. Cannibals will be quite the shock to a galaxy far far away...
tenor-1.gif

To be fair I'm 100% sure that the 'Bad Batch' in Star Wars (Clone Wars characters) predate that movie.

Interesting. It looks like they were worried the first episode of 'Bad Batch' would eat into Black Widow ticket sales (lol if that happens) and they moved up the first episode earlier in the week.
FUCKING DOY MAY 4TH IS STAR WARS DAY.

I'm such a fucking dink.

We watched the first 2 episodes of The Santa Clauses last night....

... it's certainly turning out to be what you'd think it would be... a 3 hour long 6-episode show that should have been a 91 minute PG rated theatrical release. Tim Allen of course sneaks in some boomer lines too. The kid likes it so we'll keep going though.

Also goddamnit my Santa Clause 3 review that I wrote when I was really high was lost in that whole HBT debacle.

EDIT: Fuck you TxBrew I found this archived

Now that this is out, I've got some thoughts:

-After 3 movies I am really starting to question how the North Pole economy works. As it is located in a "Winter Wonderland" where no plant life can be seen, they're certainly not growing the grain that goes into all those cakes and cookies. Where exactly is the financing coming from? The film would probably cop out and say "Magic" if it actually said anything.

-We see elf "children". If the immortal "elves" are procreating, this can only further hurt the economics question above.

-Is Cocoa basically crack to elves?

- Why does Santa trust Jack Frost so quickly after learning he's been trying to steal his thunder in 250+ incidents with cardboard cutouts in North American shopping malls?

-Why are people flying to the "North Pole Resort" to pay to get on Jack Frost's "Nice List"? Paying thousands of dollars for airline tickets,lodging, theme park tickets, winter clothing, and food (at >theme park prices<) to get a dance number and a pogo stick... I don't buy it.

-The back half of the movie also reeks rehashing the tropes of "Its a Wonderful Life" to a GREAT degree.

-The power of love? Fuck off.

More thoughts to come, but I'm finding this hard to digest as a canonical entry in The Santa Clause film series...

... it's certainly turning out to be what you'd think it would be... a 3 hour long 6-episode show that should have been a 91 minute PG rated theatrical release. Tim Allen of course sneaks in some boomer lines too. The kid likes it so we'll keep going though.

Also goddamnit my Santa Clause 3 review that I wrote when I was really high was lost in that whole HBT debacle.

I'm sure we'll check it out this season. I don't know that I ever watched the third movie so I'm sure I'll be totally lost!

I'm sure we'll check it out this season. I don't know that I ever watched the third movie so I'm sure I'll be totally lost!
You definitely don't need to know anything going into this thing. If there is anything relevant they do a flashback showing a scene from the previous movie.

The 3rd movie is still a Christmas watch for me in a so-bad-it's-good kinda way. It's REAL bad. Hahah.

Disenchanted was pretty fucking pathetic. It honestly kinda ripped off the premise of Once Upon A Time and had some horrible 2D animation. In a Disney movie lol. It also lost the fish out of water fun from the first one which was most of ever it had going for it.

Idina Menzel does have 1 banger though.

Meh.

Does their anime have english subs? I know Netflix doesn't put English on them (on most/all?) because the anime distros don't want people from the US sneaking in with their VPNs watching anime.
No, they don’t on D+. Spy Family on Netflix Japan had English subtitles, though.

Hulu Japan and Amazon Prime Video Japan are completely region locked and you can’t access them unless you have a Japanese account. Hulu everywhere else in the world works just fine where I’ve been, but not in Japan. I really wanted to watch the Japanese Great Baking show on Amazon JP but nope. You get a super pared back Prime Video while in Japan that says “while you’re away traveling, enjoy this assortment of shows from home.” My buddy who lives in Osaka said Hulu and Prime JP both suck and have horrible UX/UI like most of Japanese web design.

No, they don’t on D+. Spy Family on Netflix Japan had English subtitles, though.

Hulu Japan and Amazon Prime Video Japan are completely region locked and you can’t access them unless you have a Japanese account. Hulu everywhere else in the world works just fine where I’ve been, but not in Japan. I really wanted to watch the Japanese Great Baking show on Amazon JP but nope. You get a super pared back Prime Video while in Japan that says “while you’re away traveling, enjoy this assortment of shows from home.” My buddy who lives in Osaka said Hulu and Prime JP both suck and have horrible UX/UI like most of Japanese web design.
Thanks for reminding me to login to my various torrent sites. ;)

Watched some more tonight. It’s enjoyable. Lots of dad pun energy.

Watched some more tonight. It’s enjoyable. Lots of dad pun energy.
Tried watching it with the family over the Thanksgiving break and no one was really into it. It does seem like it should have just been an hour and a half long movie.

Back