Gardening

250 posts in this thread since I last poked my head in here. Im proud of you folks! Now that we are in our new house, I can start thinking about gardening again.

Does planting grass count? Here is our front yard which will also include the small orchard area.375C0993-3B3D-4176-B1B6-FBFC1868D016.jpeg

Also had a 2 tier retaining wall built to create a warmer micro-climate for the fig trees, im planning on planting about 8 of them between the walls and then using strawberries as ground cover between them or just laying down black landscaping fabric not only as weed barrier but also as the heat sink for the roots.
881259A5-9543-41C0-8D33-618A67FC0D14.jpeg

Anyone know how long a potted basil plant and a potted oregano plant (both planted this spring and kept outdoors since) will live indoors? Figured it might be a good way to have fresh herbs all winter long and avoid having to buy new plants next spring.

Anyone know how long a potted basil plant and a potted oregano plant (both planted this spring and kept outdoors since) will live indoors? Figured it might be a good way to have fresh herbs all winter long and avoid having to buy new plants next spring.
Not long if you have low e glass in your windows and don’t use a UV lamp. Kills everything we try to bring inside because it blocks the UV rays for efficienct.

I’ve not had luck with herbs inside. I just let basil go til the first frost and pick as much as I can. Starters are so cheap, I just get a new one or two the following spring

I’ve not had luck with herbs inside. I just let basil go til the first frost and pick as much as I can. Starters are so cheap, I just get a new one or two the following spring
I have tried basil, rosemary, bringing my potted hibiscus in. It all dies since we got new windows about a decade ago. That fancy high efficiency glass is bad for plants but good for energy efficiency. Can’t keep anything alive in here anymore even though we have a massive front window opposite a big doorwall.

Basil is an annual, so I wouldn't imagine it'll last long regardless of inside or out. Oregano is a perennial, so I would imagine it could live inside perpetually under the right conditions. I haven't tried it though since my cats will eat any plant I have inside. My outdoor oregano comes back every year though.

We have oregano, thyme and mint that comes back every year. I end up mowing over the oregano because there is so much. There is no possible way to use all of it.

Same here. Mint & oregano are nice to have, but they spread like a mofo. They're also some of the few plants I can grow in my chicken yard that the chickens don't destroy for whatever reason. They did kill my thyme though, just because they seemed to like using it as a bed.

I built this collapsible grow stand last year. The pvc frame has holes drilled so that I can raise the light as the plants grow. It worked ok. The mint and rosemary are still going strong today, but the basil didn’t like being in a cool-ish space and did not thrive. I think I killed the thyme from overwatering.

wlMpOpg.jpg

250 posts in this thread since I last poked my head in here. Im proud of you folks! Now that we are in our new house, I can start thinking about gardening again.

Does planting grass count? Here is our front yard which will also include the small orchard area.375C0993-3B3D-4176-B1B6-FBFC1868D016.jpeg

Also had a 2 tier retaining wall built to create a warmer micro-climate for the fig trees, im planning on planting about 8 of them between the walls and then using strawberries as ground cover between them or just laying down black landscaping fabric not only as weed barrier but also as the heat sink for the roots.
881259A5-9543-41C0-8D33-618A67FC0D14.jpeg

I always avoid that black landscaping fabric as it's usually some poly blend. It ends up breaking down and you have nasty plastics all over your yard. Go for extra strawberries instead imo

What kind of beans did you grow?

I grew Blue Lake bush beans and Grandma Barnett's and Pine Mountain greasy beans, the latter being the much more productive of the two pole beans.
Oh, all kinds of beans.

Scarlet runners, cranberry and black beans for pole beans. Tiger eye and one other for dry bush beans. For "green" beans, we grew dragon's tongue (super prolific), a yellow and a purple kind.

Beans.

Back