• The first DDT Glassware is on sale! Check out the announcement here!
  • Jerm has put together a LIF to help with COVID-19 relief. Check it out here. (If you don't have access, DM Nathan.)

Gardening

Post your gardens, orchards, what have you in here.

Our 2019 garden is scaled way back this year. My spring/summer project of installing new perimeter fencing and pasture fencing is going to pretty much consume all of my freetime.

But I cant not have some sort of garden going so I quickly threw these together for tomatoes.20190603_193031.jpg

And these are the lettuce and onion containers that desperately need attending to
.2019-06-03 19.40.53.jpg

I've got about 100 feet of sweet corn planted, but they have yet to pop surface.

Stakem

Tômester
After years of saying this is gonna be the year im cutting back, ive finally started doing it.

Planted less than 6 mater plants, 2 rows of beans (green and sugar snap) carrots, beets, rhubarb and left my kids have the rest to plant sunflowers.

Apple tree will hopefully start blooming this year though it wont fruit until I get it next to a pollinator.

My “figgary” is going bonkers with new growth and we are on the verge of ripening the first breba crop of the year. I anticipate eating a couple hundred figs this season and trying quite a bunch of new varieties that were too late ripening last year. Will need to start culling the trees a bit after this season because its gotten out of hand. Instead of acquiring new types, I gotta focus more on what produces consistently here without much intervention until we build a greenhouse to extend the season.

OceanOfMead

Staff member
Whatever ground cover the neighbor planted along side my house before selling his house (it’s his side of the property line) is choking out my chocolate mint. Well that and the hop bines growing up the trellis. Need to weed but I am not home enough and when I am home I have studying and working on side hustles. This is why I planted low maintenance plants. Frick.

Our garden is a bit scaled back this year and I have also been a little lazy tending to it. Luckily, Mother Nature is still doing her thing.

Fruit Trees:
-Birds ate all of our cherries this year before I could pick them
-My Apple tree still have cedar rust (dammit) and isn’t producing fruit.
-Our Peach tree is also sick. We got some fruit but I have my work cut out getting these three trees back on track for next year.

Jalapeños
Sweet peppers

Eggplant

Okra

Tomatoes (4 varieties). They are growing y’all as crap because my neighbor is letting his holly bushes get out of control and it’s blocking sun light

Our garden is a bit scaled back this year and I have also been a little lazy tending to it. Luckily, Mother Nature is still doing her thing.

Fruit Trees:
-Birds ate all of our cherries this year before I could pick them
-My Apple tree still have cedar rust (dammit) and isn’t producing fruit.
-Our Peach tree is also sick. We got some fruit but I have my work cut out getting these three trees back on track for next year.

Jalapeños
Sweet peppers

Eggplant

Okra

Tomatoes (4 varieties). They are growing y’all as crap because my neighbor is letting his holly bushes get out of control and it’s blocking sun light
Excellent looking garden. Very envious of your okra. I tried twice this year with no success. I suppose CA isnt the best for Okra, but we had a pretty wet spring. Oh well.

Stakem

Tômester
The figs have seen their first full week of temps in the 70’s and they are blowing up with growth and setting main crop fruits.

Our breba crop looks like it might start ripening while we are away for vacation beginning of July so im trying to decide who I want to ask to water the garden while we are away. Said person also gets to pick/enjoy whatever is ripe.

Everything else seems to be loving this warm muggy weather as well - the maters seemingly doubled in size and the beans put on 6 inches of growth just overnight and breached the top of the trellis I have set up.

Now that the picture function works for me again on this site, I gotta take some pics

OceanOfMead

Staff member
Is weed allowed?
It’s not disallowed but we think it might be best in its own thread or in a thread like Stoned Posts Only where folks are expecting to see that kind of content. It will cut down on any “that’s not legal where I live” cross conplaints or “my job won’t like me looking at that.” which wouldn’t come up with garden variety (pardon the expression) gardening. I hope that helps.

My tomatoes are growing like mad, not much fruit yet but it's just a matter of time before it's raining nonstop tomatoes. Which is fine with my son, because he ate half a pound of Costco tomatoes for dinner last night. Because of our weird spring everything seems behind, but the second-year cherry tree has like 4 fruits, the older plum and peach trees have a ton, and it's all starting to get ripe. The plums are still green, but those cherries are red/yellow (they're Lapins so they'll be dark red) and the peach is started to turn from green. It's funny, when I look at the trees from a distance it's not obvious that there's any fruit at all, but when you get close you can see bunches. It's exciting after the whole crop got decimated by sleet last year, we got 1 peach and like 2 plums.

Oh, and after all of our squash-type things died of fungus last year I wasn't expecting much, but the zucchini is going absolutely bonkers. It's going to take over the whole box at this rate. Too bad the two cucumbers planted next to it seem to have stalled. Also, my dumbass cat ate the leaves off of some beans planted nearby right after the started growing and now I think they're done. I should really plant a patch of catgrass for that fuzzy moron.

I am apparently really bad at growing plants from seed. I tried growing several plants from seed this year and either could not get them to germinate or they would sprout and die. My garden is like half empty and I don't want to buy plants this late into the season.

Okra and Watermelon were the only things that failed this year. Meanwhile I have volunteer tomato plants popping up all over my yard.
I have a volunteer tomato plant that's growing from the space between the planter box and a wall, with the soil covered in landscaping rock. The kicker is that not only is it growing and fruiting there, but that it actually started growing last year. The damn thing survived the winter and is STILL fruiting! They're tenacious little plants.

My tomatoes are growing like mad, not much fruit yet but it's just a matter of time before it's raining nonstop tomatoes. Which is fine with my son, because he ate half a pound of Costco tomatoes for dinner last night. Because of our weird spring everything seems behind, but the second-year cherry tree has like 4 fruits, the older plum and peach trees have a ton, and it's all starting to get ripe. The plums are still green, but those cherries are red/yellow (they're Lapins so they'll be dark red) and the peach is started to turn from green. It's funny, when I look at the trees from a distance it's not obvious that there's any fruit at all, but when you get close you can see bunches. It's exciting after the whole crop got decimated by sleet last year, we got 1 peach and like 2 plums.

Oh, and after all of our squash-type things died of fungus last year I wasn't expecting much, but the zucchini is going absolutely bonkers. It's going to take over the whole box at this rate. Too bad the two cucumbers planted next to it seem to have stalled. Also, my dumbass cat ate the leaves off of some beans planted nearby right after the started growing and now I think they're done. I should really plant a patch of catgrass for that fuzzy moron.
Are you pruning your tomato plants? Also, what varieties are you growing? Are you using a trellis system? I grew various heirloom varieties for two years up in Albany and most of them didn't do so well. My best varieties have been Cherokee Purple and Super Sweet 100.

Are you pruning your tomato plants? Also, what varieties are you growing? Are you using a trellis system? I grew various heirloom varieties for two years up in Albany and most of them didn't do so well. My best varieties have been Cherokee Purple and Super Sweet 100.
We don't prune, except I guess if leaves start dying. I don't know the varieties (although Super Sweet 100 sounds familiar), I actually don't eat tomatoes so this is all my wife's doing. Well, except for the part where I build the planters and do the irrigation and all that stuff. I don't think we've ever bought an heirloom start that failed to produce. Some of them are in a trellis, maybe supported with poles:

Others are just in cages in a normal planter (I don't have a good picture of that handy).