Fishing Thread

Loading/unloading was the biggest drawback when I had my fishing kayak. About three trips in and I was researching trailers. Ended up selling it before my last move and have been looking into getting another, this time with a trailer.

Yeah I got a trailer, makes trips easier but then you deal with a trailer, which has its own set of issues but when I’m at my destination I generally toss it in back of the bed and use my wheels to transport close to the water. I saltwater a lot so I’m not trying to add more maintenance to my trailer, but man is it a game changer, I can get way more shit to my spots and given my kayak is 150 pounds without my added gear, I don’t want to keep dragging it around.

Yeah I got a trailer, makes trips easier but then you deal with a trailer, which has its own set of issues but when I’m at my destination I generally toss it in back of the bed and use my wheels to transport close to the water. I saltwater a lot so I’m not trying to add more maintenance to my trailer, but man is it a game changer, I can get way more shit to my spots and given my kayak is 150 pounds without my added gear, I don’t want to keep dragging it around.
What are the issues with the trailer? I’m tempted to get a rig like this, but totally feel like don’t know the ups and downs.

What are the issues with the trailer? I’m tempted to get a rig like this, but totally feel like don’t know the ups and downs.

Just normal maintenance, checking tires and hubs/bearings. Lights… I fish a lot of salt water so I have to keep eye on corrosion and rusting. My trailer is aluminum so it’s pretty good to go but still can find problems.

Then of course you have the storage, the registration, etc. finding places to park it, or travel thru tough to navigate areas with a long trailer sucks sometimes.

The pros out weight the cons for sure, but just a different level of things to deal with. If you have the space, it’s ideal to be able to have it loaded up and strapped down, and can grab and go. Launching is simple with another let of landing wheels and your off to the races.

Like a collapsing/telescoping pole ?
Or maybe a shorter lightweight segmented rod. I’m going to do a trip where I can fish, but I have to be mindful of how much weight/room I dedicate to it. Thinking small, lightweight reel and a small box of lures. I might be able to use one of the rods I have, but I worry about tips breaking/knocking into stuff.

Or maybe a shorter lightweight segmented rod. I’m going to do a trip where I can fish, but I have to be mindful of how much weight/room I dedicate to it. Thinking small, lightweight reel and a small box of lures. I might be able to use one of the rods I have, but I worry about tips breaking/knocking into stuff.

There’s some telescoping ones from like bass pro that people comment on occasionally as being pretty good. Around $50 without a reel. I’m sure Amazon has something as well for similar or less.

Any of those set ups will have a small composite reel usually, so it’s going to be light.

My vote would be a fly rod if you know how to fly fish. Super light, can pack in a tube that can be strapped to your bag, and not much to it.

There’s some telescoping ones from like bass pro that people comment on occasionally as being pretty good. Around $50 without a reel. I’m sure Amazon has something as well for similar or less.

Any of those set ups will have a small composite reel usually, so it’s going to be light.

My vote would be a fly rod if you know how to fly fish. Super light, can pack in a tube that can be strapped to your bag, and not much to it.
I have never fly fished, but I guess I could try it out at the local park beforehand.

I had/have a 4 piece one from Bass Pro that I really liked... if I can find it and it's in usable condition you can have it, just need a label.

I've been out a handful of times so far this year, mostly in fresh water streams. Once, in the lower part of a river that is partially salt water as it empties into Long Island Sound.

Mostly, I've gotten skunked. At least I've seen a few Great Blue Herons and 1 White Egret...they are probably having more success fishing than me.

After work today, I finally landed a brown trout. Last week, I just barely lost a larger brown downstream of here in a spot that is more difficult without a net.

And I'll also include a photo of a monster bass caught in a reservoir over the border in New York state.

20230615_162614.jpg

20230527_140831.jpg

A382E98E-5B39-408E-9F63-81ED6C7C12D0.jpeg

Caught like 55 of these guys in two and half days on the fly. Super fun, the boys even got their rods out there and did some too. Few small wild brookies out of our creek that ironically shouldn’t be there but the pan fish fought nicely. Told my wife I hadn’t caught fish like that in years, it was exhaustingly fun. Wore out many cricket and drowned hornet flies.

Bought a new moonshine rod company rod in 3wt and a tfo reel. Should do us fine bluelining and tearing shit up hiking. Silver reel won’t show its age as bad, and moonshine rods come with an xtra tip. 7ft 6in rods are pretty accurate when casting under heavy overhead. My most favorite type of fishing!!

FCA5F98B-826D-42CE-B443-B67DC93695AB.jpeg

57802222-C830-4FD0-9E7B-0AEB1D2F6A04.jpeg

Did a little bluelining this morning. Jumped a few but didn’t net any. Super tight creek, had to do a lot of high sticking and bow and arrow casts. Took a nice swim near the end, man that water is cold as fuck but refreshing all the same.

The "fall run" of striped bass in the northeast I had been getting skunked so far, granted I had only previously been out twice.

As the sun was setting tonight, I finally hooked into a nice fish. Once, I knew he was hooked, I was careful to adjust the drag a couple times. A boat with a few young fisherman going by, stopped to watch me bring it in. When, I finally landed him, they all gave me a thumbs up, pretty cool. I safely returned him to Long Island Sound after taking this photo.

20231104_170216.jpg

Back