Camping

We've got four spots we camp at almost every summer and none of them are in service range. At this point it's just an accepted aspect of camping in WA for us.

One of our friends realized he won't be able to keep his Wordle streak going next weekend and seriously thought about bringing Starlink along until we all told him "NO."

All packed up and about to head off to Kissimmee Prairie Preserve SP for a few days. Still pretty fucking warm, but should be a great time. Nice to get back out again, as it's been a couple months longer than I would have preferred. It's the only Dark Sky designated area in FL, and we're bringing a telescope, but the clouds might be working against us. I guess we'll do the best we can, but I'll try to put up some pictures late next week.

Overall, the camping trip was pretty good. Weather kind of sucked as it rained about half the time we were there, and we had limited night sky visibility, but we had about 3 hours that were pretty good on Sunday, and about an hour on Monday night where the sky was pretty beautiful. Also, we saw some cool critters. In the photos below, the big object in the sky is Jupiter and I'm not sure what type of snake visited our site, but I think it was just a little rat snake. Hard to tell as we were using red lights to get around at night. I might try to get plucky and get us out for a few days again before the end of the year, but likely it will be February or March before our next camping trip.

KissPrairie1.jpg

KissPrairie2.jpg

KissPrairie3.jpg

KissPrairie4.jpg

Anybody here ever go camping at Alabama Hills? I'm not a camper but when I was there I couldn't help but think it seemed like a cool-ass place to camp. It's definitely a place I'd like to go back to and spend more time at. Like doing some camping.

Anybody here ever go camping at Alabama Hills? I'm not a camper but when I was there I couldn't help but think it seemed like a cool-ass place to camp. It's definitely a place I'd like to go back to and spend more time at. Like doing some camping.

It’s on my list but that’s all I can say for now besides recommending you check out Keough hot springs (the free part, it’s a warm river) and consider the very long detour out to the ancient bristlecone pine Patriarch grove. Altitude sickness inducing but otherworldly.

Some friends went on a camping/climbing trip a few years back and had nothing but great things to say about it.

Back