All Things Homebrewing

2A2ACB59-5C31-43BB-A85B-BC2AA275CD88.jpeg
Finally have a backyard again and wasted no time. Got a a couple starters going of my mixed culture that's been dormant for a little over a year at the beginning of the week. Brewed yesterday and today (a saison and table saison) with a couple fresh pitches of a farmhouse strain and both took off after a few hours in the fermentor. So excited to be back and plan on hitting production fairly hard the next few weeks.

D5160AFD-E54A-4B47-9CEC-5618265EA13A.jpeg
Brewed all of the beer for my brothers wedding a week ago. 10 gallons each of NEIPA with Simcoe Citra Nelson Mosaic and a rice lager lightly dry hopped with hallertau blanc. Really happy with how both turned out, but damn did the lager go quick in this heat! Probably reaching the end of the NEIPA keg here shortly as well and then have nothing in the pipeline for the first time in quite a while!

2A2ACB59-5C31-43BB-A85B-BC2AA275CD88.jpeg
Finally have a backyard again and wasted no time. Got a a couple starters going of my mixed culture that's been dormant for a little over a year at the beginning of the week. Brewed yesterday and today (a saison and table saison) with a couple fresh pitches of a farmhouse strain and both took off after a few hours in the fermentor. So excited to be back and plan on hitting production fairly hard the next few weeks.

IMG_4926.jpeg
Bottled up the first batch of table saison today after dry hopping it for a week with some citra and u1/108 experimental hops. Smelling gorgeous, can't wait to to open the first bottle in a couple months.

So after 3 freeze / skims the 5 gallons is now about 3 1/2 quarts.

It won't freeze now so should be over 80 proof?

Tastes pretty good too.

IMG_5977.JPG

As I understand it your ability to remove water is dependent on the temperature at which you attempted to freeze it due to the bond between ethanol and water. Once you concentrate down to the limit for that temperature you're removing both water and ethanol and leaving an increasing percentage of flavor compounds. Admittedly, I don't completely understand why that is supposedly true. I also have a doppelbock lagering currently that I'm going to turn into eisbock as soon as my chest freezer has enough room for it.

Anyone have any suggestions where to buy bottles in (relative) bulk online? Draining a standard size wine barrel of a little mixed fern saison project after about two years of aging and Belgian/champagne style 750s in that quantity are gonna be a little steep $ wise!

96B74B3F-453D-4CEF-9A36-AAD199A21134.jpeg

Well that took forever.. Woken up from its two year nap in a second use cab barrel and tasting great! Pleasantly oak forward and vinous with a ton of funk and light acidity.

Recipe was a mixed ferm oat and wheat saison with a few threads fermented with Omega C2C and multiple others fermented with bootleg saison parfait and dregs from Hill, Side Project, Sante, and Casey. The majority went into bottles straight but we also racked about 15 gallons onto a lb per gallon of masumoto nectarines and saved another corny for aging on another yet to be determined fruit.

Stoked!

Back