All Things Homebrewing

Felt I should just move this over here....

Brewed a mead yesterday....

1 gallon batch...

4 cups grapefruit juice
3 lbs honey
The rest with bottled water (our water is super hard here)

Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
Yeast starter
Pectin enzyme

1.11 OG

Yeast were going crazy this morning when I work up.

Current mead status:

1 keg of short mead with Chardonnay juice that's almost empty.
2.5 gallons of a tupelo honey melomel with red and black currants that's sitting in tertiary. It's sitting at around 16% and 1.032 FG, definitely needs to be backsweetened a bit.
5 gallons of short mead fermenting now. I'll rack this onto ginger and lime this weekend so I have a keg of meadscow mule to pour at NHC

Coming up:
I want to do a short mead with lemon and cucumber for the summer. I'd be doing it with the currently fermenting short mead, but I wanted to bring something that I knew works to the conference.
My next full strength mead will be a pyment with some cabernet sauvignon juice.

Current mead status:

1 keg of short mead with Chardonnay juice that's almost empty.
2.5 gallons of a tupelo honey melomel with red and black currants that's sitting in tertiary. It's sitting at around 16% and 1.032 FG, definitely needs to be backsweetened a bit.
5 gallons of short mead fermenting now. I'll rack this onto ginger and lime this weekend so I have a keg of meadscow mule to pour at NHC

Coming up:
I want to do a short mead with lemon and cucumber for the summer. I'd be doing it with the currently fermenting short mead, but I wanted to bring something that I knew works to the conference.
My next full strength mead will be a pyment with some cabernet sauvignon juice.

I'll be in Providence from Wednesday for NHC, will be sending my tripel via UPS for the final round. I'll be pouring an apricot berliner with my NJ club (Glen Ridge Homebrewers Association) that will be in one of the central tables, and both a french toast mild and a moscow mule inspired short mead for my NYC club (New York City Homebrewer's Guild) along one of the walls.

Felt I should just move this over here....

Brewed a mead yesterday....

1 gallon batch...

4 cups grapefruit juice
3 lbs honey
The rest with bottled water (our water is super hard here)

Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
Yeast starter
Pectin enzyme

1.11 OG

Yeast were going crazy this morning when I work up.
Still bubbling away with a krausen a week later. This sucker is gonna need a long while in the fermenter. Might need to start another mead or cider experiment this week.

Got 5 gallons of dry cider I need to bottle this week as well that's been sitting in the fermenter for 5 months. Clearest cider to date.

My bro wants to get into home making mead. Any tips for a beginner?

My bro wants to get into home making mead. Any tips for a beginner?
If he uses Facebook, I cannot recommend the group Modern Mead Makers enough. It’s a group started by professional mead makers that stresses modern TOSNA techniques and has rejected a lot of outdated recipes that might work but don’t really teach people how to make mead, troubleshoot recipes, etc. If he wants to learn to make mead well, it will take some reading, but it’s a good group.

If he uses Facebook, I cannot recommend the group Modern Mead Makers enough. It’s a group started by professional mead makers that stresses modern TOSNA techniques and has rejected a lot of outdated recipes that might work but don’t really teach people how to make mead, troubleshoot recipes, etc. If he wants to learn to make mead well, it will take some reading, but it’s a good group.
Thank you

Bought him that for Xmas

Man, fermaid O has been awesome. First batch using it and it slows down fermentation a good bit which makes it more manageable imo. Also zero rocket fuel or SO2 smell so far over halfway through fermentation. This is a 50/50 buckwheat (MN) and wildflower (TX). Did this one with goferm to rehydrate and fermaid O only. 2.5g 71B, 4 lbs honey, and spring water. Simple, but it smells like a barleywine already and I love it. Might try and add some DME next time and go after a Barleywine-ish mead/braggot. Also I accidentally carbed a small 16oz swing top that I was messing around with. Backsweetened about a week ago. Opened yesterday and it was perfect and lightly carbonated. Down the hatch it went. Twas a joe's quick grape variant.

Man, fermaid O has been awesome. First batch using it and it slows down fermentation a good bit which makes it more manageable imo. Also zero rocket fuel or SO2 smell so far over halfway through fermentation. This is a 50/50 buckwheat (MN) and wildflower (TX). Did this one with goferm to rehydrate and fermaid O only. 2.5g 71B, 4 lbs honey, and spring water. Simple, but it smells like a barleywine already and I love it. Might try and add some DME next time and go after a Barleywine-ish mead/braggot. Also I accidentally carbed a small 16oz swing top that I was messing around with. Backsweetened about a week ago. Opened yesterday and it was perfect and lightly carbonated. Down the hatch it went. Twas a joe's quick grape variant.
I’ve been using Fermax almost since I started brewing. Been hearing good stuff about Fermaid O so I might try that next time I run out (which is soon).

My first few batches of cider I used no yeast nutrients... never again. I don’t have controlled storage here (well... an air conditioned closet) and my god the off flavors brewing without any lol.

I want to do a short mead with lemon and cucumber for the summer
That sounds both disturbing and awesome! Might be that I recently had a cucumber berliner weisse that was all liked dilled, pickled cucumber and I can't really see how that would work in a mead. Much intrigued though! =)