Running

Just chaffed nipples. I had never heard of aquaphor until today. As a hairy nipple guy ive always just taped them and winced the first .1-.2 miles as the tape got adjusted and then during my post-run shower just ripped them and hoped for the best. And then for leg chaffing Ive always just used vasaline.
try out the Aquaphor. it works great. slather some on before you go out and bring bandaids as a backup in case you find it not working as you'd hoped.

not sure which is more expensive (Vaseline or Aquaphor), haven't bought any for a while, but i keep a big bottle of Aquaphor and several mini bottles for emergencies.

spring running in Wisconsin can mean snow, heavy rain or wind.

we mostly missed snow this year and when it rains, it's fast and heavy but shortlived. i've avoided the worst of that but the wind. the fucking wind. it's like a steady tradewind all the time. 15-25 every day with gusts to 40-50.

tomorrow mid 40s temps, rain and gusts to 40+.

it was so bad the other day that when i emerged from alongside a wall in to a clearing, the wind literally shoved me sideways. felt like i got airborne for a second and carried. then the wind was cross-face for about the next 2 miles. was like running uphill into a wall.

tomorrow should be more of the same.

the way our neighborhood is laid out, there are only so many route options available if i start running from home. i've got several distances mapped out. meaning i know exactly which streets or paths to run on and how to cover the mileage i need.

i've got three 5 mile routes that guarantee a perfect loop and get me home in time to meet the kids, etc.

two of them are great and one of them is just fucking miserable for reasons i cannot figure out. the one that i hate is mostly flat but i run it far, far slower than the other two. kicks me in the ass every time. not even a mile in and i'm struggling. everything is out of sync from my cadence to my breathing and my mind is fighting every step.

every few weeks i'll try it out again, thinking "i feel good, i'm excited about this" and *boom* 5 minutes in it's hell. 5 miles feels like a marathon.

anyone else have routes they just hate??

the way our neighborhood is laid out, there are only so many route options available if i start running from home. i've got several distances mapped out. meaning i know exactly which streets or paths to run on and how to cover the mileage i need.

i've got three 5 mile routes that guarantee a perfect loop and get me home in time to meet the kids, etc.

two of them are great and one of them is just fucking miserable for reasons i cannot figure out. the one that i hate is mostly flat but i run it far, far slower than the other two. kicks me in the ass every time. not even a mile in and i'm struggling. everything is out of sync from my cadence to my breathing and my mind is fighting every step.

every few weeks i'll try it out again, thinking "i feel good, i'm excited about this" and *boom* 5 minutes in it's hell. 5 miles feels like a marathon.

This post is making me a little sad, because I used to have routes (and options) for 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, etc...

I've forgotten everything above 6 (and 6 is a distant memory), because my weekly mileage is so low these days.

I also used to mix up the directions I ran the various loops, but I pretty much only run the same direction these days (I know it's not good, always making the same turns, running on uneven surfaces always on the same side, etc.).

Hills are really hard to avoid in Seattle, so everything is equally liked/disliked.

Ran 6 miles today for the first time since December. What a beautiful day, I knew I wanted to be out for a while. Thankfully, my stomach held up. Here’s all that’s left of the football stadium (the press box).

IMG_1669.jpeg
my first ever away game. went on a whim to watch them play Penn State when a ticket basically ate up all the money i had in the world. good times.

😆That makes me feel a little better. I did my neighborhood hills run last weekend (north suburbs of Pgh) and already had sore quads when I started from some strength work mid-week. I was in seriously rough shape running down the last couple hills without brakes.
This "seriously rough shape" run wound up doing me in. I had been trial prepping that week, so underslept and poorly fueled. Wound up settling the case late on Friday and mapped out this hilly 12.5 "I'm free" run. The next week I started feeling a pain in my lower right leg but tried to push through. Bailed from my scheduled 17 mi long run at 10. The following week it continued all week and into the weekend, where I bailed at 5 miles.

Was worried about a stress fracture, so went to sports medicine, and he confirmed my concern was warranted and that I should stop cold until an MRI. Wound up just being a stress reaction and not a fx, so that's good, but by the time the waiting for MRI and f/u was all said and done, it was about a month of nothing. So, obviously no marathon this time around.

The first couple runs out after the green light, I could still feel things a little, but I switched to new shoes and have been feeling good easing back in. Made it out for 9 last Saturday and am doing a little PT more to avoid future shin stuff than anything else at this point. I figured while there I would mention that I never acted on the script for PT for my back from last summer, and the PT was nice enough to evaluate me for that too and let me get a new script after. Seems pretty convinced its my SI joint, and it seems reasonably well fucked, so I am going to actually follow through on it this time and try to get that right.

I was pretty dejected for a couple weeks and ate like garbage, among other wheels-are-falling-off stuff. Amazing how the disruption in my routine derailed a lot of positive momentum in other areas, but a good reminder that it takes consistent effort on all this stuff.

tl;dr - I pushed it a little to hard, was injured and acted like a baby about it for a while but am back on the right track.

This "seriously rough shape" run wound up doing me in. I had been trial prepping that week, so underslept and poorly fueled. Wound up settling the case late on Friday and mapped out this hilly 12.5 "I'm free" run. The next week I started feeling a pain in my lower right leg but tried to push through. Bailed from my scheduled 17 mi long run at 10. The following week it continued all week and into the weekend, where I bailed at 5 miles.

Was worried about a stress fracture, so went to sports medicine, and he confirmed my concern was warranted and that I should stop cold until an MRI. Wound up just being a stress reaction and not a fx, so that's good, but by the time the waiting for MRI and f/u was all said and done, it was about a month of nothing. So, obviously no marathon this time around.

The first couple runs out after the green light, I could still feel things a little, but I switched to new shoes and have been feeling good easing back in. Made it out for 9 last Saturday and am doing a little PT more to avoid future shin stuff than anything else at this point. I figured while there I would mention that I never acted on the script for PT for my back from last summer, and the PT was nice enough to evaluate me for that too and let me get a new script after. Seems pretty convinced its my SI joint, and it seems reasonably well fucked, so I am going to actually follow through on it this time and try to get that right.

I was pretty dejected for a couple weeks and ate like garbage, among other wheels-are-falling-off stuff. Amazing how the disruption in my routine derailed a lot of positive momentum in other areas, but a good reminder that it takes consistent effort on all this stuff.

tl;dr - I pushed it a little to hard, was injured and acted like a baby about it for a while but am back on the right track.
way to get back on the horse. that's tough for a lot of people.

crazy how hard it easy to establish a good routine/habit and how easy it is to fall out of rhythm with it. nice work getting back!

I validate many points in this post :)

Re: your new shoes - just a new pair of your old standbys, or a new brand/model?

I was on my third pair of NB 1080v12s. Funnily enough, I'm blaming that pair of shoes in part for my injury. I found them at the NB outlet and saved $60 on retail, and they never felt quite right. A little long from day 1, and just didn't get an appreciable bump in terms of feeling of cushion going from prior pair. I think they were defective 😂

This new pair is the 1080v13s. Definitely a very noticeable bump in cushion. I wound up going with 4E on this pair because the guy at the running store said the v13 is more narrow than v12. So far so good.

Back