Random Music Thoughts / Opinions / Annoyances / Guilty Pleasures / Rants & Raves

Went and saw The Distillers the other night, reliving some high school nostalgia. I thought they fucking ripped still. Tight set, hit everything I wanted to hear, in and out in 90ish minutes (but when your entire discography is like, what, 110 minutes, not bad).

I'm not sure if it was the venue or their travel gear but holy shit there should have been an epilepsy warning somewhere, lol.

Went and saw The Distillers the other night, reliving some high school nostalgia. I thought they fucking ripped still. Tight set, hit everything I wanted to hear, in and out in 90ish minutes (but when your entire discography is like, what, 110 minutes, not bad).

I'm not sure if it was the venue or their travel gear but holy shit there should have been an epilepsy warning somewhere, lol.

I never really got into them, so I didn't have any expectations going in, but yeah, they killed it. As for your second comment, I didn't notice anything like that at the show we were at, so maybe it was just your venue.

Thoughts on other shows from the past week and a half:
Melvins are still great even if the current lineup & supporting acts were a bit underwhelming compared to past tours.
Pietasters need more love, 60 minutes of energy from start to finish. If this had been a proper concert, and not done as part of a larger event, their set would easily have been the most fun.
IDLES could probably be my favorite live act out right now if their fans could do a proper pit.

Years ago I was a moderator on a minimal techno message board which had a long running thread similar to the Songs And Stuff one on here. Inevitably nobody posted any actual techno. Just been re-listening to it and there’s loads of amazing stuff on it. It’s like a couple of days long or something. Also noticeably light on rawk music but there’s still plenty of guitar based stuff on there.

4Four Songs Of The Day

I went to college in Oxford, Ohio, which was home to WOXY (aka 97X -The Future of Rock & Roll), a great indie radio station that existed for about 30 years until 2010. It also had a message board for a lot of those years.

One of the station's claims to fame was a Dustin Hoffman line in Rainman -- ""97X. Bam! The future of rock & roll." At some point, someone created a thread called Bam!, and anytime the station played a song someone liked, they would post a Bam! in the thread.

Anyway, shortly before the message boards went defunct after the station closed, I made a playlist of as many songs from the Bam! thread as I could. The thread was thousands of pages, and I didn't finish before the boards were nuked, but it's still a monster at just under 204 hours.

Shame would like to have a word.

Just bought tix for their NYE show here in Chicago at prob my fav venue ever, Empty Bottle. GRIPPED

I miss the Bottle. Lived a couple blocks away my last 4 years in Chicago. Saw so many great shows there.

I miss the Bottle. Lived a couple blocks away my last 4 years in Chicago. Saw so many great shows there.

I lived at Thomas and Campbell for 8 years until about 1.5 yrs ago. I miss popping in for a beer or 2 on free Mondays or other low-cover shows just to see what's going on.

My kids were watching The Secret Life of Pets and the intro song was so familiar and I couldn't place it until the chorus.

It was Welcome to New York by Taylor Swift. I realized I recognized the lyrics due loving the Ryan Adams 1989 cover album, but I had never actually heard the original Taylor Swift version.

Hunh.

Kind of an old man opinion/rant coming in here-

My wonderful wife and I went to see The Black Keys with Modest Mouse on Wednesday evening. The Black Keys killed it, even if I don't love their new album as much as I wanted to. But they brought a lot of energy, let the blues riffs fly for an extended period and the show production was pretty great too.

But Modest Mouse, man.

Let me preface this by saying that for the last 20 years I've been saying that my three favorite bands are (in no particular order), Radiohead, Modest Mouse and The Flaming Lips. The Lonesome Crowded West came out my freshman year, when I was ass-deep into punk rock and hardcore, and it completely rocked my socks. I got into their older shit, and loved the next like 3 albums they put out. Probably the best driving/road trip music ever. In the early aughts (probably 2001?) I flew to Philly to see them play a small festival (I think Sunshine Fest or something) with Cake, De la Sol and the Flaming Lips rounding it out. Modest Mouse crushed, though they were severely out-performed by the Flaming Lips (as is pretty much every band ever). Like two years later I saw them play back to back nights at a small venue in Tampa, probably 150 people, with completely different sets both nights. It was awesome. They just let it ride and their 6-minute tunes were 9 minutes and it was ear-bleedingly loud (which I love). I mean, they slayed for 90 minutes straight on a stage that was probably 15x20.

Then I saw them headline a night at the Gasparilla Music fest maybe 5 years ago. Thousands of people, tons of stage production, mostly new stuff, and I was in the top 20 percentile of age. Whatever, though, it was still a good show and they played Doin' the Cockroach which was manic as fuck. Had a really good time.

This show though- different. They had three drummers. There were 10 people on stage. I get it, their newer stuff is a bit more rich with horns and strings, but they lacked the energy, volume, depth of performance, passion. Nearly all the songs were toned-down versions of the music on the albums. That's not why I go to see live shows. They've never been very interactive with the crowd (at least that I've ever seen), which is fine, but they have always been very interactive with their music. I was disappointed.

That being said, I don't see a huge amount of live music anymore. I used to go to a show pretty much every week back in the day. We could go see whatever punk rock band was playing the State Theater in St Pete for $5-7 from the time I was like 13 all the way through my first couple years of college. I saw Hot Water Music literally probably 25 times. I miss those days. Stadium and even mid-sized venues just don't do it for me. Only a few of my favorite bands play small shows anymore. Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band and Vacationer were some of the last small shows I've seen.

TL;DR- I think I'm getting old, and music isn't keeping me young anymore.

Kind of an old man opinion/rant coming in here-

My wonderful wife and I went to see The Black Keys with Modest Mouse on Wednesday evening. The Black Keys killed it, even if I don't love their new album as much as I wanted to. But they brought a lot of energy, let the blues riffs fly for an extended period and the show production was pretty great too.

But Modest Mouse, man.

Let me preface this by saying that for the last 20 years I've been saying that my three favorite bands are (in no particular order), Radiohead, Modest Mouse and The Flaming Lips. The Lonesome Crowded West came out my freshman year, when I was ass-deep into punk rock and hardcore, and it completely rocked my socks. I got into their older shit, and loved the next like 3 albums they put out. Probably the best driving/road trip music ever. In the early aughts (probably 2001?) I flew to Philly to see them play a small festival (I think Sunshine Fest or something) with Cake, De la Sol and the Flaming Lips rounding it out. Modest Mouse crushed, though they were severely out-performed by the Flaming Lips (as is pretty much every band ever). Like two years later I saw them play back to back nights at a small venue in Tampa, probably 150 people, with completely different sets both nights. It was awesome. They just let it ride and their 6-minute tunes were 9 minutes and it was ear-bleedingly loud (which I love). I mean, they slayed for 90 minutes straight on a stage that was probably 15x20.

Then I saw them headline a night at the Gasparilla Music fest maybe 5 years ago. Thousands of people, tons of stage production, mostly new stuff, and I was in the top 20 percentile of age. Whatever, though, it was still a good show and they played Doin' the Cockroach which was manic as fuck. Had a really good time.

This show though- different. They had three drummers. There were 10 people on stage. I get it, their newer stuff is a bit more rich with horns and strings, but they lacked the energy, volume, depth of performance, passion. Nearly all the songs were toned-down versions of the music on the albums. That's not why I go to see live shows. They've never been very interactive with the crowd (at least that I've ever seen), which is fine, but they have always been very interactive with their music. I was disappointed.

That being said, I don't see a huge amount of live music anymore. I used to go to a show pretty much every week back in the day. We could go see whatever punk rock band was playing the State Theater in St Pete for $5-7 from the time I was like 13 all the way through my first couple years of college. I saw Hot Water Music literally probably 25 times. I miss those days. Stadium and even mid-sized venues just don't do it for me. Only a few of my favorite bands play small shows anymore. Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band and Vacationer were some of the last small shows I've seen.

TL;DR- I think I'm getting old, and music isn't keeping me young anymore.

You just need to find new music. There are still bands playing those smaller clubs and killing it.

(Side note - it might be possible that we have identical musical interest backgrounds. I too had Modest Mouse shake me from my latter stage HWM/Avail punk/HC obsession era. Must have been awesome living in FL during HWM's heyday)

You just need to find new music. There are still bands playing those smaller clubs and killing it.

(Side note - it might be possible that we have identical musical interest backgrounds. I too had Modest Mouse shake me from my latter stage HWM/Avail punk/HC obsession era. Must have been awesome living in FL during HWM's heyday)

The FL punk scene was great in the mid and late 90's. I actually never really liked HWM all that much, but they played with like every band that toured here. Same with Less Than Jake, though I was pretty into those guys. And St Pete's metal/Hardcore scene has always been awesome. We used to have this little record store called 403 Chaos that would open the front gate and put a band there, and we would all just stand on the sidewalk and street. I saw Assuck get fucking dirty there a bunch of times, as they were local. Steve Heritage was brilliant back in the day. I even saw Jud Jud, who were fucking hilarious.

I have a hard time finding new shit to listen to. Maybe it's putting in the time, I don't know. If anything, I've gone back in time and started listening to a lot of pre-war blues in recent years. I'm that guy who's like, "Dude, have you heard Charlie Patton?!"
Really the only "new" music I've gotten into in the last few years is like Nathaniel Rateliff, Alabama Shakes, Reverend Peyton...

I even saw Jud Jud, who were fucking hilarious.

Man, Jud Jud was my shit...I just bought a couple of their old 7" not too long ago for shits and giggles.

Ain't ever any shame in discovering Charlie Patton. Ironically, the Black Keys sent me down that rabbit hole. Black Keys > RL Burnside/Junior Kimbrough > Patton/Robert Johnson

Man, Jud Jud was my shit...I just bought a couple of their old 7" not too long ago for shits and giggles.

Ain't ever any shame in discovering Charlie Patton. Ironically, the Black Keys sent me down that rabbit hole. Black Keys > RL Burnside/Junior Kimbrough > Patton/Robert Johnson

Revered Peyton sent me down the old time blues rabbit hole. He does a whole album of Charlie Patton covers.

Back