It's not TV, it's HBO

Watching this and realizing it predates Twin Peaks The Return by two years has me pondering things. I wonder if Lynch was a fan.

Season 2 is a goddamn mess and and it aspires to a different wavelength than s1 but shit, I admire what it tried to be. We need more aggressively weird shit.

Colin Farrell is incredible too.

I've decided not to rewatch season 3. End of Night Country is in sight and I have to get back to movies.

Did you like the Leftovers?

Did you like the Leftovers?
The film studio where this was made has a distillery next door that has a taco truck (Un Mundo de Sabor) that has the best barbacoa tacos in Austin.

Ice T React GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Will there be any Batman involvement in the series? If not, I'm not sure it will be high on my list of things to watch. It doesn't jump out to me as something that is overly compelling.
I hope it's like Agents of Shield and they're constantly like "Where's Batman?"

"Oh, you just missed him!"

My in-laws started watching Six Feet Under for the first time in the past month or so. Raved about it to my wife. I watched it when it aired originally way back when. I don't know if it just hasn't aged well or if my tastes changed. It's not quite as good as I remember it. I also constantly think Michael C. Hall is still playing Dexter.

It was nice that the Curb finale brought things for that show full circle. Overall I thought it was an good last season with some standout episodes like The Lawn Jockey and Disgruntled probably being my favorites.

It's kinda nuts to think that that show started when I was a sophomore in high school 24 years ago and Larry David pretty much looks exactly the same.

My in-laws started watching Six Feet Under for the first time in the past month or so. Raved about it to my wife. I watched it when it aired originally way back when. I don't know if it just hasn't aged well or if my tastes changed. It's not quite as good as I remember it. I also constantly think Michael C. Hall is still playing Dexter.
I tried to rewatch at some point last year and only made it halfway through season 1. I also thought I liked it at one point, and I’m guessing it’s just way too slow / didn’t age well.

I tried to rewatch at some point last year and only made it halfway through season 1. I also thought I liked it at one point, and I’m guessing it’s just way too slow / didn’t age well.
We're on to the first episode of season two and it's fine. I first watched it when I was in my early 20's in college and thought I was so sophisticated in my taste since it was on HBO etc. It's definitely not aged very well but is kind of fun to see how "old" 20 years ago looks like now.

That said, I just googled how many seasons. (Five) I'm not sure at this rate that I can get through four more seasons of the show at our current pace. Might need to find something else to watch or we won't finish the series until 2026.

The Robert Downey Jr show is a bit distracting in The Sympathizer. But it is still deeply engaging and I am still 100% in.

The Oklahoma City bombing/Tim McVeigh documentary, actually branded as an HBO Documentary, was quite good, but left some threads unexplored. I think it could have been better served as a 3-4 part series. There is some great background into some of the more obscure, but important radical groups that influenced McVeigh and a lot of the modern White Supremacist groups.

The "guy in the Ryder truck with McVeigh" was completely glossed over. The Andreas Strassmeir thing was also could have been explored more deeply.

I finally started The Leftovers. Just finished S1. I've long avoided Damon Lindelof stuff since LOST was a massive waste of time (yes, I watched the whole thing, and it taught me to cut bait aggressively on TV shows).

Like LOST, it's apparent that they aren't going to explain the central mystery - and that's fine, because unlike LOST, this show doesn't string us along and hint at it.

Instead, the characters are front and center. It's apparent many were messed up before The Departure. The way each person struggles to process their trauma resonates well. It's still not clear to me what these cults are about (well, maybe the Holy Wayne one is pretty clear), and I expected more exposition on those. Maybe that comes later.

Season 2 starts much slower, and I'm a little ... concerned ... that the premiere starts off with another Great Event. But I'm going to hang in there for a few more episodes.

Back