Woodworking

Not really posted for perluderl,

The problem with lack of clamps isn't lateral pressure but pressure rigs to keep the two boards flat to avoid cupping or twisting/shifting as pressure is applied along the glue line. You did say a Dowling jig so hopefully that keeps things flat.

Or use a Tongue and groove:



Example of work shifting during glue up:



I do remember my dad asking for birthday/Christmas lists of having 1 item for 15 years. "Dad, what do you want?"

"Clamps, all kinds, all sizes, all lengths."
 
Not really posted for perluderl,

The problem with lack of clamps isn't lateral pressure but pressure rigs to keep the two boards flat to avoid cupping or twisting/shifting as pressure is applied along the glue line. You did say a Dowling jig so hopefully that keeps things flat.

Or use a Tongue and groove:



Example of work shifting during glue up:



I do remember my dad asking for birthday/Christmas lists of having 1 item for 15 years. "Dad, what do you want?"

"Clamps, all kinds, all sizes, all lengths."
Yep I've seen it happen! Luckily this was only the two boards and I didn't have any issues. Someday I'd love to get a domino but they're so expensive.
 
Getting started on a Walnut & oak entertainment center type deal that I've been planning for a while. A long way from done, but it's a start. Joined using a doweling jig. I need more clamps, but working with what I've got for now.

5791
Finally getting some more progress on this thing. Got my side structure buttoned up structurally yesterday, hoping to have some finished pics in the next two weeks or so.

 
Put a first coat of Arm-R-Seal on my project yesterday which I've used many times before and for some reason it looks like absolute dog shit. Not sure what happened, but I'm going to have to sand it off and give it another go.

I know some people absolutely love finishing but it's always my least favorite part of the process.
 
Put a first coat of Arm-R-Seal on my project yesterday which I've used many times before and for some reason it looks like absolute dog shit. Not sure what happened, but I'm going to have to sand it off and give it another go.

I know some people absolutely love finishing but it's always my least favorite part of the process.
I took a finishing course for a semester and the instructor said finishing should take as long as the entire build process. Which includes prep in sanding etc...
 
It sucks. It's slow, painstaking, messy and a whole other skillset. But when done right it can really bring out the beauty of real wood, grain, figure and everything else.
Yep, for sure. I have never finished walnut before and I'm currently in the midst of learning some hard lessons. No matter, I'm confident it will turn out in the end, but it's been made clear that I'm going to have to sand off what I've done to this point and start over. Luckily it's only one coat so it shouldn't be that difficult.
 
Anyone dabble in rotary carving?

Because I really needed something else to fill the voids of time during my sabbatical, I picked up a foredom rotary carver. Gave it a whirl with bits I have for the dremel and it was a sad attemp.

Any good bit recommendations that won't break the bank?
 
Made some toys a couple weeks ago. My little girl is still too young to fully play with it, but she is continually getting more interested.

Just used some scrap I had from another project. I forgot to take photos of the initial cuts, done mainly on a bandsaw with detail work on a scroll saw. The pieces were thick so I halfed them and now have a set for my 15mo nephew.

20200410_100118.jpg

Damn sanding was a pain! But I am happy with the results.

One of the trails I changed the cut position on, but otherwise everything fits well.

20200411_193121.jpg

Adding magnets, making sure I get polarity correct so all heads can be swapped, same with tails, but heads and trails cannot swap locations.

20200411_190728.jpg

Then after the next tedious parts, painting and sealing. I even made a volcano with some other scrap.

20200422_105506.jpg

20200423_140554.jpg

20200423_140644.jpg

Very happy with the results. Not really anything I would change, except make sure the magnets are deeper on some and stronger magnets on the volcano.

I have another toy project I need to finish (paint, coat, and assemble) and another one I want to start very soon.
 
Top