Wine

I've not met a ton of Hungarian wine, but I also haven't met one I didn't like. This particular wine is an "oldie but goodie" to me in that it's one of the first wines I ever tried after getting into this industry, and one I should drink more (but man, there's just so much out there).

If you've never explored Hungarian wine, this isn't unlike a nice weekday Montepulciano (to me, anyway): jammy red fruits and some herbage.

092A803C-62D3-4118-8743-81EEA1D1A32A.jpeg

I don't Napa Cab much. I've found this particular style, of all I've tried, to have the starkest differences between below-$20 and above-$20 price points... That is, one-dimensional fruit forward bottles versus complex bottles filled with a range of everything from blackberry to chocolate, to oak, and beyond.

This falls under the latter. It's a fucking delicious, approachable Cab with all your blackberry, cranberry, etc mingling with some minerals and thyme. I should mention I do enjoy Matthiasson wines anyway, but I hadn't tried this until tonight.

9F76E62C-7510-4533-94B4-AB8991891AD6.jpeg

I'm sure some of you can make suggestions or chime in here. I've had amazing $15 wines and subpar $35 wines, and vice versa, but California Cab is the only one so far where I staunchly say, even if it's organic, natural, minimal intervention, blah blah, the price point has made a difference.

Sorry for the INRAT.

I don't Napa Cab much. I've found this particular style, of all I've tried, to have the starkest differences between below-$20 and above-$20 price points... That is, one-dimensional fruit forward bottles versus complex bottles filled with a range of everything from blackberry to chocolate, to oak, and beyond.

This falls under the latter. It's a fucking delicious, approachable Cab with all your blackberry, cranberry, etc mingling with some minerals and thyme. I should mention I do enjoy Matthiasson wines anyway, but I hadn't tried this until tonight.

9F76E62C-7510-4533-94B4-AB8991891AD6.jpeg

I'm sure some of you can make suggestions or chime in here. I've had amazing $15 wines and subpar $35 wines, and vice versa, but California Cab is the only one so far where I staunchly say, even if it's organic, natural, minimal intervention, blah blah, the price point has made a difference.

Sorry for the INRAT.
Many of the CA cabs I’ve had fall into that cheap and fruit bomb bucket. But way too many are over-oaked (imo), and while some of the better ones aren’t bad, I’m usually happy I didn’t buy the bottle. It’s generally not a style I gravitate towards, but like so many other topics, I’m willing to change my mind if compelled

Many of the CA cabs I’ve had fall into that cheap and fruit bomb bucket. But way too many are over-oaked (imo), and while some of the better ones aren’t bad, I’m usually happy I didn’t buy the bottle. It’s generally not a style I gravitate towards, but like so many other topics, I’m willing to change my mind if compelled
Give this one a try if you see it and/or feel like it. It's not super heavy and it's not oaky, nor super fruity. If I had to even try and liken it to anything else familiar, I'd say maybe a weekday/everyday Bordeaux.

But I'm ultimately a beer-focused manager, so what do I know? Haha

IMG-20210221-123901.jpg

I really dig this 'powerful' Matsu wine, which is part of a trilogy.

Back