What are you reading?

Have you read The Yellow Wallpaper? Forget the author but that was always taught alongside The Lotto (nice callout Digita ) and it’s one that stuck with me.
No. I'll give it a read.

The lottery does a good job showing her thoughts on "people" but doesn't give any of the internal insight given by her novels. Fun story. I heard that it caused the largest amount of hate mail when initially published. Even her mom was upset!

Didn't ever see that Simpsons reference. The book wouldn't be that thick, though.

The new Yorker has the lottery available in text and audio for anyone who has a few minutes.

have long been on the lookout for history from the native american perspective. this is not quite that in that it's written by a white guy but it seems like he put the time in to researching and presenting historical accounts & i don't think many, if any, books were written by natives that survived the era? could be totally wrong there.

SeaWatchman probably knows

Zitkala-Sǎ had a lot of good writings out there. I teach some from School Days of an Indian Girl.

I’d also read Forgotten Allies by James Kirby Martin and Joseph T. Glatthaar. Really great book on the colonial/revolutionary era Iroquois Confederacy and how all but the Oneida and Tuscarora sided with the British. Spoiler: it did not work out.

For more contemporary nonfiction I would suggest A Will to Survive: Indigenous Essays on the Politics of Culture, Language, and Identity edited by Stephen Greymorning.

Fiction:
Johnny Appleseed - Joshua Whitehead
Night of the Living Rez - Morgan Talty (short stories)
Love Beyond Body, Space and Time - short story collection
Split Tooth - Tanya Tagaq
Love after Love - collection edited by Whitehead
Black Sun - Rebecca Roanhorse

Poetry:
Anything by Timmy Pico

Non-Fiction:
Uneducation - Jason Eaglespeaker (wonderful comic about residential/boarding schools)
There There - Tommy Orange
Night Watchman - Louise Erdrich

Memoirs:
Heart Berries - Teressa Marie Mailhot
Red Paint - Sasha LaPointe
Bears Falling from Trees with Erections - Jeff Godin
Blonde Indian - Hayes

History books:
The Rediscovery of America - Ned Blackhawk
An Indigneous People’s History of the US- Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz
The Other Slavery - Reséndez

If you’re into lit theory:
Queer Indigenous Studies: Critical Interventions in Theory, Politics, and Literature

There’s a start.
I’ll let you google to see what they’re about, but all things I’ve used and/or still use. I almost always use Johnny Appleseed, Uneducation, some Pico, and an Indigenous Peoples history.

Been on a good reading kick for a while now. In reverse order:

The Power of the Dog by Thomas Savage - I really liked this one. probably would've liked it more if I hadn't seen the movie first, though it was convenient to have images of Jesse Plemons and Benedict Cumberbatch at hand. I remember thinking the movie did not feel very fleshed out but the book seemed even tighter, which was surprising. I enjoyed the multi-perspective narration, especially the view from Phil's cruel and twisted outlook.

The Fox Wife by Yangsze Choo - Magic Realism/Historical Fantasy kinda novel that takes place in China in the early 1900's based on Chinese mythology/folklore about Fox Spirits, who appear in human form. Well written with a unique and interesting plot. Lots of good info on China in that era that I had no idea about. Ending kinda fizzled, otherwise would've been great.

Anita de Monte Lasts Laugh by Xochitl Gonzalez - follows 2 stories that take place in different timelines - 1985 and the mid-late 90's. The earlier one is based on the life of Cuban artist Ana Mendieta, who was most likely murdered by her famous artist husband, Carl Andre. The later story based on the author's own experience in college at Brown university, follows an art history student coping with being non-white, non-wealthy at an Ivy League school. I almost stopped reading this one as the student's story felt like something I read before, and was not written in any interesting manner. Glad I didn't b/c it does become a powerful treatise on race, class and culture. The de Monte arc is wild and fantastical, and it meshes well with the more grounded story of Raquel.

Exordia by Seth Dickinson - batshit crazy, sci-fi/fantasy with lots of complex math and some physics and metaphysics. A 30 something woman living in NYC, once a Kurdish refugee, happens upon a 7-headed snake alien eating turtles in a pond in Central Park. The book proceeds much like a Marvel movie, as the action keeps getting bigger and bigger, but with a lot more substance. The alien culture and weaponry was very unique, to me, even if it is pretty dense. Assuming there will be at least 1 more book in this world.

Figured this might interest some since it was a recent topic of discussion. A history spanning 1000 years of Indigenous peoples of North America:

Back