What are you cooking???

Chicken of the woods cutlets!

0CE8429D-EDD9-4621-B2ED-8DCA21E85533.jpeg

Squash runners, aka tenerumi in Sicily where they're popular.
9F15E4AB-586F-436F-874A-190B0667C92F.jpeg
17D91722-4FE8-4A7E-B574-9BFD698548A4.jpeg

The curls taste a little like half sour pickles. Tossed these with cherry tomatoes, garlic, and spaghetti. Fresh and fun.

It is okra season, and I'm here for it. I love okra.
41435980-A25D-4535-A20E-FDB7ACEA7285.jpeg

My favorite preparation is okra and tomatoes, but it was kinda shitty the day I made this... it was such a comforting bowl. Warm glowing warming glow.

Chicken adobo ..

242042069_4499470013407469_4053268327060779772_n.jpg

242102289_4499469973407473_3323162465090619041_n.jpg

241985304_4499469996740804_4312861868078697902_n.jpg

242099675_4499469950074142_6585538661905772716_n.jpg

Yup. When I couldn't find old Moe Greene pics for inspiration I went with the Kenji method he just posted. Basically followed it to a T (sub tomato for tomatillo - my local doesn't carry them). Best carnitas I've made. The finishing broil is key for texture.

Love it! Coincidentally have a gathering with my SO’s family this weekend and am making Kenji’s sous vide carnitas. Will follow up accordingly!

20210916_183809.jpg

Amazon suggestions got me hook line and sinker on a highly regarded sous vide cook book on sale. Fucked around with a recipe today. Last night did some baby bellas with thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper for like 10 min in the bath and into the fridge. Set a bag up with flap steak (store was out of skirt) last night with salt and pepper and soy. When I left for work I dropped it in and set it for 131. Let it go all day long (11 hours or so, 6am to 5pm). Came home, got the meat out, browned butter on the stove. Seared the meat, put in shallot and garlic in the steak butter, then the mushrooms, then the mushroom and steak bag waters to reduce. Sounds like a lot, but was like 25 min from getting home to table. Will fuxxx with again for a weekday meal.

Every time I have people staying with us, I have this wild ass fear of not making enough food for every meal. And end up absent mindedly making wildly too much. Well. My mother in law and her sister (is aunt in law a thing? No. Okay) dropped in "on their way back" from Oklahoma to NC. I didn't expect this but had stuff for hibachi froze. Honestly until I was walking it inside my mind was going "this is not enough food for 4 adults and 2 kids". Way wrong. Anyways, blackstone hibachi night.

20210918_174317.jpg

20210918_175648.jpg

Way too much. Percent 100 that after the inlaws go to bed I get lit and face some leftovers.

Every time I have people staying with us, I have this wild ass fear of not making enough food for every meal. And end up absent mindedly making wildly too much. Well. My mother in law and her sister (is aunt in law a thing? No. Okay) dropped in "on their way back" from Oklahoma to NC. I didn't expect this but had stuff for hibachi froze. Honestly until I was walking it inside my mind was going "this is not enough food for 4 adults and 2 kids". Way wrong. Anyways, blackstone hibachi night.

20210918_174317.jpg

20210918_175648.jpg

Way too much. Percent 100 that after the inlaws go to bed I get lit and face some leftovers.

I would shovel that in my mouth! I do the same thing, and I just don’t know know how to fix it. Running out of food for people is like a nightmare for me, I just don’t want folks to go back for seconds and be hungry. It’s a compounding issue.
The agronomy nerd in me would like to talk about the Bermuda blend in your Saint Augustine, however.

20210918_174317.jpg

20210918_175648.jpg

Did you flip any items into guests’ mouths?

I would shovel that in my mouth! I do the same thing, and I just don’t know know how to fix it. Running out of food for people is like a nightmare for me, I just don’t want folks to go back for seconds and be hungry. It’s a compounding issue.
The agronomy nerd in me would like to talk about the Bermuda blend in your Saint Augustine, however.

I really think it's a southern thing. This overarching need to be overly hospital and providing for guests. And to absolutely ALWAYS have way too much food for everything. If you're ever over to my house, literally for anything, there will be homemade food. It's been ingrained in me since childhood.

Good eye on the grass. Our property neighbors a common area park, which is Bermuda. When the house was built it was sodded with St. Augustine, but in the middle of a drought and in October. So no matter how much watering and such, the Bermuda came up under the fence and overtook the back yard. Even with growing the St. Augustine high to try and drown out the Bermuda, it took years. Then both of my dogs have been sick (and now both passed) for basically the last three years. They were barely making it off the patio to piss, and for some reason their end of life piss was straight up toxic to the St. Augustine. The Bermuda proved to be heartier to this, and re-took the area around the patio.

It's annoying because my St. Augustine is thriving taking over the park, and the Bermuda keeps trying to take over my back yard.
Did you flip any items into guests’ mouths?
standing outside by myself cooking was the only time I was alone all day yesterday. I flipped some into my mouth, but mostly tried to take as much time as possible sweating my sweet tits off in the wonderful sounds of nothing plus sizzling food.

Amazon suggestions got me hook line and sinker on a highly regarded sous vide cook book on sale.
Less than a week after receiving a sous vide book, my Anova that I’ve used for 4-8hrs/week since 2015 dies on me while I had some meat going. WFH and didn’t realize it completely stopped heating and the circulation cooled the water and the meat sat in bags of water at room temp basically for 3 hours. Being conservative I’m tossing the meat but man I’m disappointed this thing died when I’ve been the most pumped to do new things.

fuck it, why would it not have.

Less than a week after receiving a sous vide book, my Anova that I’ve used for 4-8hrs/week since 2015 dies on me while I had some meat going. WFH and didn’t realize it completely stopped heating and the circulation cooled the water and the meat sat in bags of water at room temp basically for 3 hours. Being conservative I’m tossing the meat but man I’m disappointed this thing died when I’ve been the most pumped to do new things.

fuck it, why would it not have.
Tell me more about this book though.

Tell me more about this book though.

It was on sale last week for like $17 shipped on prime. As with all Ten Speed Press cookbooks, it is very visually satisfying and thoughtfully structured. Informative and thorough. I've done a couple of the recipes and enjoyed them.

The recipes are not plate ready after the SV, but use it as another cooking/prepping mechanism.

There's a chapter for cocktail components.

Temps in Celsius (as should always be the case, imo).

Back