What are you cooking???

What's your local Mediterranean joint? I was used to periodic Roti lunches when commuting into Chicago and I am missing it.
Closer to you is Apolis at 53 and Maple. They advertise as Greek Street Food, but have all my favorite spit roasted meats, Jerusalem salad, toum, etc. rather than the pork belly gyros you find at the Greek street food places on my side of Downers.

Over at 83 and Plainfield by the FedEx there is KabobQ. We have only been there the one time, but we got their premium combo and ate on it for 2 days and were quite happy. https://kabobq.com/menu/

Holy crap, this came out amazing...

The lunch was just noodles/veggies/protein of your choice, noodles dressed with this (6oz dry ramen/udon/etc. noodles cooked, tossed with 6 TBS of this), with dashes of fish sauce/soy sauce and I made a quick pickled ginger for topping.

This looks to be lifted directly from NYT cooking, not behind a paywall - I'm going to love having this in the fridge!

Holy crap, this came out amazing...

The lunch was just noodles/veggies/protein of your choice, noodles dressed with this (6oz dry ramen/udon/etc. noodles cooked, tossed with 6 TBS of this), with dashes of fish sauce/soy sauce and I made a quick pickled ginger for topping.

This looks to be lifted directly from NYT cooking, not behind a paywall - I'm going to love having this in the fridge!

I love a recipe that says "in truth it's ugly".

More steelhead cuz it's delicious.

FEA01918-91AA-4B45-8FA0-EE268BBE45FE.jpeg
I hate salmon and I’m what I consider a “fisherman” in terms of talent and tastes. Can’t figure out why!! That looks so good. I would destroy those carrots though, what’s going on there besides taters ?

I hate salmon and I’m what I consider a “fisherman” in terms of talent and tastes. Can’t figure out why!! That looks so good. I would destroy those carrots though, what’s going on there besides taters ?
Not salmon! Steelhead trout! Just looks like salmon. It's a bit lighter and, well, more trouty.

Carrots and potatoes was also fennel with the same "chimichurri" on the fish: fennel fronds, cilantro, garlic, red chile flakes, olive oil, s&p.

Steelhead is amazing. Cut them steak style instead of fillets and grilling them, oh man. You buy them or catch them? Frigging pain to catch here. Barbless hook with a bead....lose a bunch of tackle. Cast a thousand times before you hook one. But man, are they worth it.

Is there no fishing within a reasonable distance? This is the time of year to fish for steelhead in the Pacific Northwest. It sucks because it is bitter and cold.
I think they run in the spring in Michigan. I don’t recall it being bitter cold when we would go up to the cabin to fish for them. Just that you had to fish for them at hours I didn’t want to do.

Back