What are you cooking???

1B53FE7C-3F3C-4EF3-BF54-60720F31DC27.jpeg

OceanOfMead and I (mostly OceanOfMead) threw together this peach cobbler today using peaches we got at a Michigan roadside stand last week and a few pieces of canned pineapple leftover from making pizza.

Haven’t tried it yet, but smells delightful. The biscuit batter was kind of thin, but did a great job of spreading out over the top and browning up.

Anyone make their own ice cream? Tired of paying increasing hipster prices for average stuff. Have a machine you like? America’s Test Kitchen recommends the Cuisinart.
I have the attachment for my Kitchenaid. I am on my second bowl because I cracked the first one after much use. And for recipes, I cannot recommend the Jeni Breton Bauer (Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams) book enough. I still buy Jeni’s, but I enjoy making my own.

I guess I should warn you, you’ll end up paying hipster prices for grass fed non-homogenized milk and goofy ingredients if you get really into it, but I have a lot of fun with it. I have made Jeni’s classics like the Yazoo Sue ice Cream with Rosemary Bar Nuts (I don’t think they even make that flavor anymore but it’s one of my favorites) and I have used the general recipe building structure to make a few differen mead ice creams, a Malört ice cream base with a bourbon county jam swirl. My favorite was when I did a vanilla base and swirled in a really great textured honey that had crystallized. That was one of the best I made.

I guess I should warn you, you’ll end up paying hipster prices for grass fed non-homogenized milk and goofy ingredients if you get really into it, but I have a lot of fun with it. I have made Jeni’s classics like the Yazoo Sue ice Cream with Rosemary Bar Nuts (I don’t think they even make that flavor anymore but it’s one of my favorites) and I have used the general recipe building structure to make a few differen mead ice creams, a Malört ice cream base with a bourbon county jam swirl. My favorite was when I did a vanilla base and swirled in a really great textured honey that had crystallized. That was one of the best I made.
Malort Ice Cream????
giphy.gif

Anyone make their own ice cream? Tired of paying increasing hipster prices for average stuff. Have a machine you like? America’s Test Kitchen recommends the Cuisinart.

We like Jenis ice cream book. My kids live for the buttermilk roasted strawberry we make. Pick the berries and hours later it’s in the ice cream. We’ve adapted and make a roasted strip of berries in our finished product but the base works for us to get creative.

I also made some shit in her book with some loons ad the base that was legit after some yard work.

Cooked up one of my 40th bday gifts from my brother for my wife and I tonight. First time cooking anything like this.
This was beyond rich and really should be shared with two others (my three year old was liking it a bit too much so continued to get her full on a hot dog).
We ate every drop. Taters fried in the snow Hokkaido fat were great as well.

6E2364F7-BE5B-4C0A-8300-52B07C598B46.jpeg
0C51E060-5F66-4B81-8E31-F0E5696F3F1C.jpeg
9287AFFE-7F19-4ED3-9FFE-93F0445AC2D2.jpeg

There’s a market here in my part of LA that’s somewhat well known for its beer selection, but better known for its meat selection, and goddamn does it have a good meat selection. Slow cooked these ribs today over low heat for about three hours and used the markets own bbq sauce as a glaze starting about half way through with reapplication every 20 minutes or so. I’m in pork heaven. Also salted the meat 24 hours in advance, which as I’ve recently learned makes such a difference with pork, beef, and chicken.

8525E3D1-DB53-4993-B11B-4BADB61F0882.jpeg
2106EAAD-1E60-425E-B0DB-11172C8B7E1E.jpeg

Back