Video Games

FFXV was absolutely awful.
Agreed. FFVII combat was actually not as bad as I thought it would be. I am now debating if I'm going to play it as-is, or switch it back to classic turn-based.
Also, I cranked the sound up while playing - love that soundtrack so much. Everyone has their favorite Final Fantasy game, but to me, there's no argument that FFVII had the best OST.

Agreed. FFVII combat was actually not as bad as I thought it would be. I am now debating if I'm going to play it as-is, or switch it back to classic turn-based.
Also, I cranked the sound up while playing - love that soundtrack so much. Everyone has their favorite Final Fantasy game, but to me, there's no argument that FFVII had the best OST.
agreed 100 percent on the OST. it's one of my favs.

I don't know what type of music you enjoy outside of OST's. but as a hip-hop fan I absolutely loved this album and they absolutely killed it on all parts from the rhymes about the game to the samples they used.

Finished the FFVII demo last night.

Man, that intro; they fucking nailed it. I was simultaneously both my 35-year-old-self and my 13-year-old-self experiencing that opening sequence for the first time. I'm not sure how much of this is due to nostalgia, but I loved every minute of the demo and am now even more jazzed for the first chapter to be released.

The battle system is so much better than XV and I could see myself really enjoying this style once I'm several hours in and have had time to adjust. It was somewhat difficult to tell when enemies were remaining in a given battle, and characters you're not directly controlling are essentially useless, which is where turn-based combat definitely has the edge.

RE: the OST, I couldn't agree more. Every few months I'll go through phases where I listen to nothing but that while working. For what it's worth, I feel similarly about the Fez and Earthbound OSTs, though Earthbound might be more for nostalgic purposes than actual quality.

VII OST is my favorite. And I've played VII more than any other game. But for some reason some of the tracks in IX hit me more in the feels than anything on VII.

I think VII has better music, but somehow the moments associated with songs in IX resonate more in my subconscious.

I think 8 had the second best soundtrack. I mean, "fithos lusec wecos vinosec" and "The Landing" and "Man with a Machine Gun?" God-tier shit. I went to the first ever Final Fantasy concert in Los Angeles (Dear Friends) and it is forever burned in my mind. At the end, Nobuo and Sakaguchi came out, talked a bit, and then walked off. We thought it was over and then the orchestra burst in to "One-Winged Angel" and I lost my fuckin mind

Anybody ever go to a VGO concert? Highly recommended if you like video game music. When I saw them the highlight for me was Build That Wall from Bastion.

Here's a shitty recording of it, but you get the spirit of it.

Anyone else play arena fps games? I got into the Diabotical beta and it's pulled me straight back into the pc gaming world.

Put a fuckton of hours into Quake/Unreal/Tribes as a teenager, so this is bringing back a ton of good memories. I'm pretty rusty and it's p hilarious having Fortnite/Apex kiddos screaming that people are hacking, all cuz they never learned good movement.

Anyone else play arena fps games? I got into the Diabotical beta and it's pulled me straight back into the pc gaming world.

Put a fuckton of hours into Quake/Unreal/Tribes as a teenager, so this is bringing back a ton of good memories. I'm pretty rusty and it's p hilarious having Fortnite/Apex kiddos screaming that people are hacking, all cuz they never learned good movement.

Just a random FPS story that popped in to my head:

My friend used to play a lot of SOCOM when it first came out and I remember one time where he went around and killed his entire team then started in on the opponents side. When he got to the last guy he ran up and dropped a grenade killing them both. It was amazing and hilarious.

Put some time into Quake Champions and it was real fun but it's close to dead now and it's f2p.

giphy.gif

If this ain't the last nail in E3's coffin I don't know what is.

Ordered Dragon's Crown Pro for the PS4. My daughter and I are gonna co-op the shit out of this game while we're both stuck at home.

Welp. I don't think you could get a closer look at the Xbox One Series X than this:

Microsoft seems really confident in this machine to hand it right over to the Digital Foundry guys (heck, they allow them to put the fucking thing together from its' components in this video)

Back