Travel- the trials and tribulations

Voice of fucking reason over here. I get enough shitty reality, thank you very much. Wishful thinking is a coping mechanism. I'm not going to be doing anything other than my job to put myself or others at risk.

haha sorry. i'm just bitter as fuck because i've put months of planning into two separate trips that won't happen. plus "use it or lose it" vacation time through work... what a fucking waste.

we thought about a camping trip to big bend in west texas, and then the parks were (rightfully) shut down.

haha sorry. i'm just bitter as fuck because i've put months of planning into two separate trips that won't happen. plus "use it or lose it" vacation time through work... what a fucking waste.

we thought about a camping trip to big bend in west texas, and then the parks were (rightfully) shut down.
Sucks. Every now and again I think about Mexico and a wave of disappointed goes over me. I should get most of my money back, don't think I will from Viva Aerobus, or I'll get a credit.

My refund from Costco Travel includes $3,800 in airline credit that must be used by the end of the year. I’m hoping they’ll loosen that restriction, because otherwise that’s a ton of airfare for four people to use in what will probably end up being a very short window.
That sounds totally ridiculous. Were those flights cancelled by the airline?

That sounds totally ridiculous. Were those flights cancelled by the airline?
Unfortunately not. We booked an air+resort Mexico package through Costco Travel, but canceled it just as things were starting to look bad. Booked it in December, we were supposed to go last week.

I canceled on the last day of the 80%-refund period (after that it would’ve dropped to 30%), but Costco refunded 100%, which was a bonus, but it was during the “travel to Mexico is totally fine” phase so it didn’t qualify for a full refund at the time.

I canceled on the last day of the 80%-refund period (after that it would’ve dropped to 30%), but Costco refunded 100%, which was a bonus, but it was during the “travel to Mexico is totally fine” phase so it didn’t qualify for a full refund at the time.

Have you checked back with them? You might be able to get them to refund it at this point...

Have you checked back with them? You might be able to get them to refund it at this point...
Your post made me go look some stuff up just now - the bad news is that Costco is saying they can't straight-up refund airfare because they're at the mercy of the airlines' cancelation policies. The good news is that American (which is what we were booked on) has extended the date we have to use them by from end of this year to the end of next year, which makes the whole situation a helluva lot more reasonable.

Is anyone dipping their toes in the water and grabbing some plane tickets?

We recently bought RT tickets to Kauai from SF for $147 a person in mid-June. We lost a trip for our 10 year anniversary there back in October so our fingers are crossed.

Is anyone dipping their toes in the water and grabbing some plane tickets?

We recently bought RT tickets to Kauai from SF for $147 a person in mid-June. We lost a trip for our 10 year anniversary there back in October so our fingers are crossed.
Already booked a while back - heading out towards the end of June:
A week each in Madrid and Barcelona, then hopping over to Italy (not 100% sure of the plan here yet). Coming back at the end of July 4 weekend.

I pulled the trigger since getting a peak summertime business class redemption on AA is normally impossible. Honestly... won't be surprised if I have to cancel this

My wife and I aren't even thinking about getting on a plane until we're vaccinated. My FIL is pushing super hard to book a flight out here to see us, we keep telling him to wait until we're all vaccinated but he isn't listening and is going to book flights out for the end of April, saying they'll cancel their flights in advance if needed.

Definitley a bummer, since we both turn 40 htis year and it's our 15th anniversary. We had been planning on Bali or Fiji, but that's likely not happening.

The wife and I were talking about this over Christmas.
We decided to cancel our Italy trip early in the year and then canceled our Hawaii trip a couple months later when the virus really took hold stateside.
Debating whether its worth the gamble to book tickets this early for 2021. I want to revisit Bali and the wife wants Costa Rica.

Not getting on a plane until we, our travel companions and a good portion of society is vaccinated. As of now, we have tentative plans to fly to the Big Island Thanksgiving week with my in-laws, spend a week there with them, a week on our own and then my parents would fly in for a final week. Thinking this may be optimistic given how vaccination is going so far, but I guess we'll see.

As soon as it's safe, my wife will also be champing at the bit to get to Atlanta to see her sister and 2 year old nephew (who we haven't seen since last Christmas) and to Chicago to see her parents. I look forward to getting back to PDX.

We may drive to Sun Valley in a straight shot from LA this summer. We'll see.

I also haven't traveled internationally since 2016, which is too damn long. So many places I want to go.

Yeah, I definitely want to make sure we are vaccinated before we do any real trips. My wife and I were both in the Pfizer trial so we are supposed to find out if we got vaccinated or not in March. (If we didn't, apparently we can get the vaccine then)

I really hope the vaccination rollout starts to get some momentum. I have a feeling we might see some improvement after January 20th.

Already booked a while back
Username checks out...

The wife and I were talking about this over Christmas.
We decided to cancel our Italy trip early in the year and then canceled our Hawaii trip a couple months later when the virus really took hold stateside.
Debating whether its worth the gamble to book tickets this early for 2021. I want to revisit Bali and the wife wants Costa Rica.
We had a UK trip for last July/Aug that we cancelled....I wonder if the *credit* is good through 2021 (meaning, I could book later this year for 2022), or just the ticket (meaning, use or lose within this calendar year)? My wife read some NYT article that suggested that "flexibility" would be the new norm up until 23 or 24 when air travel returns to pre-pandemic levels, I guess we'll see.

As soon as it's safe, my wife will also be champing at the bit to get to...Chicago to see her parents.
tenor.gif

We have penciled in driving to upstate NY for a baseball tournament around 7/1....contingencies abound (boy makes the team, tournament actually happens, vaccine would be nice, and if the numbers aren't off the chart or worse). Driving. We'd love to hit Canadia on vacation on the way back, if we're allowed by then. If not, then perhaps Ohio instead.

Super priveleged first world problems, but 2020 was the probably the first year of my life that I didn't fly somewhere on a plane. My wife got in one Boston trip for work back in February before everything shut down.

We do have a road trip planned for Lincoln City, OR in mid February for our daughter's birthday. Just gonna drive there like we did over the Summer and not go anywhere else.

Super priveleged first world problems, but 2020 was the probably the first year of my life that I didn't fly somewhere on a plane. My wife got in one Boston trip for work back in February before everything shut down.

We do have a road trip planned for Lincoln City, OR in mid February for our daughter's birthday. Just gonna drive there like we did over the Summer and not go anywhere else.

Same, I had 2 big trips planned last year that got canceled. (Ireland and Hawaii) So it was the first time I didn't fly anywhere in probably 20 years. The only trips I did last year were to the Oregon Coast for a few days.

I actually rolled 7 days of PTO which is pretty unheard of for me. I am usually lucky to roll 1 or 2.

Back