Travel- the trials and tribulations

I've found a lot of value in crowd-sourced vacation recommendations, so let's continue that here! Any good recs for Portland/Acadia/Bar Harbor or anywhere in between? Likely headed up for a week at the end of August.

These questions are generally handled in their respective regional forum thread. If you're headed to Portland, I'd ask around the Portland thread for recs

I've found a lot of value in crowd-sourced vacation recommendations, so let's continue that here! Any good recs for Portland/Acadia/Bar Harbor or anywhere in between? Likely headed up for a week at the end of August.
Thurstons lobster lobster pound was awsome when I was there 10-12 years ago. Point to your lobster and have them cook it. Side of corn and blueberry cobler for something like $11 at the time.

I thought this was going to be a thread about actual travel agents, in which case I was going to tell you that the only people I know who still use travel agents are my parents (for international trips only).
Mine do the same.
There was a great scene in 30 Rock where Tin Fey thinks her career as a comedy writer will become obsolete. I couldn't find video of it and it's too much to type so I screenshot a pic of the transcript.

So, is this the new vacation thread?

Anybody ever do any long distance train travel? My mom has expressed in interest in taking a vacation with my wife and I. Something long distance and far-flung...ish. Problem is, my mom has anxiety along with some other issues and it terrified of planes. That leaves trains, buses and automobiles as viable options. Trains seem an expensive alternative but at least I'm not doing the driving. I guess that's true of buses as well but I did a lot of bus travel when I was younger and I still have scars.

Anybody ever do any long distance train travel? My mom has expressed in interest in taking a vacation with my wife and I. Something long distance and far-flung...ish. Problem is, my mom has anxiety along with some other issues and it terrified of planes. That leaves trains, buses and automobiles as viable options. Trains seem an expensive alternative but at least I'm not doing the driving. I guess that's true of buses as well but I did a lot of bus travel when I was younger and I still have scars.
Not sure what you mean by "long distance", but my wife and I did a multi-day train trip in Sweden on a line called the Inlandsbanan. Starts west of Stockholm and runs all the way to Gallivare in the Arctic Circle. Single car train. Beautiful, beautiful ride. Not much in Gallivare, so we flew back to Stockholm from there, but it was an unforgettable trip (perhaps the most unforgettable part was when the train hit a pack of reindeer and fur and guts flew past our windows, and the precious old Swedish man we were sitting with said "Oops, we took some").

Not sure what you mean by "long distance", but my wife and I did a multi-day train trip in Sweden on a line called the Inlandsbanan. Starts west of Stockholm and runs all the way to Gallivare in the Arctic Circle. Single car train. Beautiful, beautiful ride. Not much in Gallivare, so we flew back to Stockholm from there, but it was an unforgettable trip (perhaps the most unforgettable part was when the train hit a pack of reindeer and fur and guts flew past our windows, and the precious old Swedish man we were sitting with said "Oops, we took some").
We're in Connecticut. Long distance like Arizona or California.

We took the empire builder from Chicago to Portland and the costal starlight from Portland to SF.

If you get a roomette it's pretty great actually. Meals included and you can just enjoy the ride.

You have to make it part of the vacation and not just traveling to vacation in your head.

We will travel by train as a first choice if possible. It's quite relaxing.

BORING

Just messing, but I don't have any experience with that.

theconductor

That's a long haul. You're looking at a minimum of two transfers. Expect to be late, miss connections and possibly have to be bused for part of the trip to make up for those misses. A handful of eastern long distance trains have lost their diners so either bring a lot of food or be prepared for boxed meals.

If none of that bothers you, go for it. The views can be amazing and you'll travel through many places not seen from a road.

I'm supposed to be taking a vacation to the Hard Rock resort in Punta Cana in a couple weeks, but pretty sure that's about to be off after all the news lately about people getting sick/dying at resorts in the DR.

Has anyone here ever been to the Faroe Islands? My wife asked me where I want to go on our next big vacation, and for some reason I immediately said the Faroe Islands based solely on pictures I've seen. Is this a completely crazy idea?

Has anyone here ever been to the Faroe Islands? My wife asked me where I want to go on our next big vacation, and for some reason I immediately said the Faroe Islands based solely on pictures I've seen. Is this a completely crazy idea?
Looks like a somewhat expensive destination, but other than that it looks awesome. The pictures I've seen always looked gorgeous. Summertime trip?