The Official Parenting Thread

Hey there Parents. Pediatric dentist over here and I just want to give back to a community I've gained so much knowledge from. So if there are any dental questions, feel free to ask. Can provide credentials if you want via DM. Cheers!

The advice I give most often:
If possible the child's oral cavity should not be exposed to another person's saliva (ex: sharing spoons) prior to the age of 3. Zero to 3 years is the window of infectivity for strep mutans (the bacteria that causes cavities). So in theory if the child is not exposed to the bacteria then they can't get cavities. Transmission is also greatly reduced if parents/people around the child have good oral health.

Hey there Parents. Pediatric dentist over here and I just want to give back to a community I've gained so much knowledge from. So if there are any dental questions, feel free to ask. Can provide credentials if you want via DM. Cheers!

The advice I give most often: If possible the child's oral cavity should not be exposed to another person's saliva (ex: sharing spoons) prior to the age of 3. Zero to 3 years is the window of infectivity for strep mutans (the bacteria that causes cavities). So in theory if the child is not exposed to the bacteria then they can't get cavities. Transmission is also greatly reduced if parents/people around the child have good oral health.
Do you know sprout?

My patience was tap’d out last night. I got home from a long day of work and was hangry, but didnt have time to eat as I had to get changed and immediately take my daughter to soccer practice (that I coach.)

We are at the ball field for ~2 hours and the kids just arnt into it (3rd/4th grade girls.) Rather than practice fundamental skills and learn rules of the game in preparation for their first game this weekend, they are restless and whiney. For real, acting like what I imagine it must be like getting your first period.

Anyway, practice is over. All I want to do is go home and eat. I pull in the driveway, daughter hops out the truck and there my son is. Giving me the eyes of neglect and bad parenting because ive done nothing with him and all my attention was with his sister so far this evening.

He had a dinosaur helmet on and I see his bike on the back porch. Fuck it, lets do this man. My wife has been unsuccessful in her efforts of trying to learn him how to ride a bike. So he hops on his bike and I push/steady him to the top of our yard. My man, its time to learn how to bike the way I have. Brace yourself cuz im gonna send ya down the hill.

3-4 tries in and the old boy is pedaling away going 15-30 feet on his own, a little further each time. Zero concept of steering but by god he is riding his bike without training wheels and he is balancing.

2 crashes into the quail pen later, he knocks his bipper off of his seat/handlebars and its game over. We go in the house, its now dark out and he wants to ride more.

Parenting is fucking tough... and awesome.

The advice I give most often: If possible the child's oral cavity should not be exposed to another person's saliva (ex: sharing spoons) prior to the age of 3. Zero to 3 years is the window of infectivity for strep mutans (the bacteria that causes cavities). So in theory if the child is not exposed to the bacteria then they can't get cavities. Transmission is also greatly reduced if parents/people around the child have good oral health.

Also bottle mouth, nothing worse than seeing diagnostic info for a mouth full of 2930's, nomsayin? I too am in the Dental industry.

So, a kid who is not exposed to the bacteria could eat Twinkies for every meal, chase them with a Coke, never brush their teeth, and they would never get a cavity?

537.gif

Really enjoyed reading this thread on the other site so figured I’d stop by and say what’s up. I’m a stay at home dad to an 18 month old. My wife is an attorney at a big firm and I’m essentially a social worker (worked in prisons/criminal justice reentry for years). The cost of a nanny or daycare in NYC is pretty much a wash with my salary so it was an easy decision. She’s also trying to leave her firm so we may be relocating. I love the moments I spend with my son so much. The days are long AF but time flies by at the same time. I’m not an overly social guy but if it wasn’t for Playgroups and other activities I think I’d lose my mind. It will be nice to get back to work soon but I know I’m gonna miss the hell out of it.

One month in to having newborn t win boys and a 25 month old daughter.... “this will be great in the long run” is said many times a day. Shot for two close in age and got three.

On top of figuring this outnumbered thing out.. we went into the hospital at 7:30 on a Thursday and at 3 o’clock the day before I had a plumber come check out and check what I thought was a small leak. Ended up being a cast iron pipe that had been slow leaking for who knows how long. They had to rip full bathroom upstairs down to subfloor, first floor foyer and family room getting patched and repainted and basement wall needs all new drywall and painting due to work on the pipe.. oh and black mold had to be mitigated.

We went from “let’s have an afternoon at the park the day before we become a family of 5” to where are we bringing the boys to from the hospital. Oh and been living with in-laws for the past month. I also think we’ve the only people to bring 2 week old twins to Home Depot to pick out tile, grout and vanities....

Been a hell of month but everyone’s healthy and boys are starting to be more attentive which is awesome. Watching our 2 year old daughter love on these two is also amazing to see.

One month in to having newborn t win boys and a 25 month old daughter.... “this will be great in the long run” is said many times a day. Shot for two close in age and got three.

This was/is us exactly. Daughter about to turn 7. Twin boys turning 5 right behind her. 24.5 months apart.

It's (mostly) a ton of fun...but yeah, any major additional tasks are challenging as hell. Hope your house gets put back together soon.

Potty training sure is fun! I particularly liked his technical compliance when I told him he needed 3 more successful pees in the potty without our help and he did one right away, then a small one and two minutes a later a normal-sized one. Way to work the rules there by splitting the last one, buddy!
Just got a report from the wife that he pooped his pants, this after not pooping at all over the weekend. I imagine that was just a treat to clean up...

Time is moving at an outrageous pace now with the baby. It feels like we just left the hospital and it's already been 2 months. She's starting to smile more and I feel like a laugh is on the horizon. In the morning I'll take her in for a diaper change when I get up for work and when she recognizes my face she has the biggest sleepy smile. It makes me indescribably happy.

unnamed.jpg

My wife had a rough day at work yesterday and waited until 1 am to wake me up in tears. I couldn’t fall back asleep until 5 (I actually worked out and watched a Bronx tale when I gave up on sleep) and then dozed off before my son woke up at 630. When your kid isn’t sleeping you are conditioned to it, but now that he sleeps through the night (he’s 18 months) I’m completely wrecked when I don’t sleep enough. Long fucking day today entertaining him inside, can’t really go outside because of the heat aside from a dog walk . I’m gonna pass out hard at 830

Time is moving at an outrageous pace now with the baby. It feels like we just left the hospital and it's already been 2 months. She's starting to smile more and I feel like a laugh is on the horizon. In the morning I'll take her in for a diaper change when I get up for work and when she recognizes my face she has the biggest sleepy smile. It makes me indescribably happy.

unnamed.jpg
Hard to beat that feeling when you walk in and they light up with joy.

unnamed.jpg
Nice Pua stuffy. My 4 year old would slay for that thing.

Back