The Official Parenting Thread

My kids know my policy is can choose any activity they want (or don’t), as long as they get some sort of regular exercise.

They tried gymnastics, they both hated it. They tried rock climbing, one was too much of a scaredy-cat and refused on day one, the other loved it but the gym by their school closed the climbing wall because of the pandemic.

Finally the more sedentary of the two said she enjoyed swimming, and she actually was pretty good at it, so she tried out for a park district-sponsored state swim team that has a couple practices a week and ended up making the team.

We signed her sister up for tae kwon do because of her love of kicking stuff, and she really took to it and climbed her way to brown belt, but then her instructor moved out of state last year. In the meantime one of her best friends kept talking about how much she loves soccer, so she wanted to give it a try. Her love of kicking stuff seemed to translate to soccer, because she had a blast and asked to sign up for a coed program that had one practice and one game per week, and she wants to try out for the school’s girls team in the spring.

Basically, we’re just trying to expose them to as many activities as possible, and then letting them pick what interests them with the understanding that they should stick with whatever they pick long enough to really decide whether they like it or not.

Jokes on you Jenny Johnson. I love spending gorgeous days watching my kids suck at sports.
Watching kids soccer is surprisingly entertaining - it’s sorta like watching one of these:

electric-football.gif

Watching kids develop any level of skill, an understanding of a game, strategy…those things are inspiring and so pleasing.

Seeing a group come together as a team and share challenges, pretty cool as well.

My oldest was never into sports. He was pretty disinterested and said no early on. In August, at age 14, tried out for bball. I encouraged due to his height and his lack of physical activity. He has been going to practice at 6:30 am ever since without complaint. I think he enjoys it, but at his age he is fairly nonverbal about everything except fantasy football. I hope he comes to love the game.

FATC1TY

the fat, shitty poster
I haven’t enrolled my kids into any organized sports yet. Cause… well lazy and the pandemic timing.

however, the past two years my older boys have taken an interest in baseball and football. They enjoy kicking a soccer ball around, climbing on their slack lines on the back yard and ninja course.

so like the good dad, I bought them ball gloves. Tees, bats, footballs and said have at it.

we throw the ball on a triangle most nice evenings while I cook dinner. Or throw the football and run fake routes. They aren’t amazing at it, sometimes they quit. Sometimes they are loving it and throwing back and forth really well while also catching most of the balls. I think just making it no pressure is the key.

One of my 8year olds is happy as shit to just stand on his hover board and throw his practice fly rod to Velcro trout he scatters in the yard. He quits football after 10 min cause he can’t throw it well and gets frustrated. Fishing is cool too dude, no pressure!

Fishing is cool too dude, no pressure!

Definitely love getting into fishing over the past few years, taking advantage of this part of the country. My older one loves animals and science. He’ll bait his hook, handle any fish (if I show him how), and has a great time. I wouldn’t even touch a worm when I was his age, so I love that.

My younger one likes to take the “tweezers” (needle nose pliers) and squeeze the minnows when I’m not looking. Totally normal behavior.

Getting a used center console boat was in my two year plans. Then my wife went and left a trail of hockey cards leading up her dress and now I have a baby girl coming in January. So the boat is back to being a dream.

If you guys are thinking I’m strange and neurotic about my parenting now, just wait until I have a girl. New set of things I’ll be worrying about fucking up lol

FATC1TY

the fat, shitty poster
Definitely love getting into fishing over the past few years, taking advantage of this part of the country. My older one loves animals and science. He’ll bait his hook, handle any fish (if I show him how), and has a great time. I wouldn’t even touch a worm when I was his age, so I love that.

My younger one likes to take the “tweezers” (needle nose pliers) and squeeze the minnows when I’m not looking. Totally normal behavior.

Getting a used center console boat was in my two year plans. Then my wife went and left a trail of hockey cards leading up her dress and now I have a baby girl coming in January. So the boat is back to being a dream.

If you guys are thinking I’m strange and neurotic about my parenting now, just wait until I have a girl. New set of things I’ll be worrying about fucking up lol

My 5 year old likes to catch fish off the beach and make a fucking aquarium in all the buckets… I come out there and he’s got like 5 whiting or spots swimming circles in murky sandy water petting them while he sits in his chair.

Baby girl #2 arrived last night. Labor went way smoother than first time: 2 hours (wife says 3) vs 40 minutes. Had to induce due to some blood pressure issues that arose at the most recent appointment so she came a week early.

Now we are in the new born trenches. Don’t miss this shit, but at least we are both better prepared mentally than the first time.
5FF1D6EF-0B90-4333-A202-A729C174E3D2.jpeg

Baby girl #2 arrived last night. Labor went way smoother than first time: 2 hours (wife says 3) vs 40 minutes. Had to induce due to some blood pressure issues that arose at the most recent appointment so she came a week early.

Now we are in the new born trenches. Don’t miss this shit, but at least we are both better prepared mentally than the first time.
5FF1D6EF-0B90-4333-A202-A729C174E3D2.jpeg

That’s a damn cute baby. Most newborns look like ugly little aliens for a few weeks. Not that one.

my 13 year old inherited a fantastic blend of mom and dad's hair. net result is it's kind of unruly. big volume, frizzy, not manageable.

she wants her hair to be longer but hates taking care of it because she can't control it unless she uses a hot iron and straightens it. that lasts for a couple days before *poof* it explodes like Sideshow Bob again.

she told us she wants to cut bangs, shave half her head and dye it pink.

now.. i don't object to her doing what she wants with her hair.. it will grow back and all that.. but she's 13 and in middle school. which of course means she knows everything and we're idiots. that goes without saying.

i tried telling her that i've never met a woman who cut bangs that didn't nearly immediately say "i've made a huge mistake. i'm never doing that again." and that it would take her hair years to grow back out. she thinks, of course, that i'm stupid and have no idea what i'm talking about.

her sister did the classic toddler thing and hacked a fair size chunk of hair off in an effort to give herself bangs and, well, it took years to grow out. my 13 year old thinks this won't happen to her because of .... reasons?

and i should add that about 5 years ago she decided she wanted short hair. just below her ears. she got it cut.. then cried and cried and cried. and 5 years later (until about a month ago) she told us she never, ever wanted short hair again because it looked so bad.

i'm 99.99999% positive this new haircut idea comes from her friend who's slightly older whom she worships. she's the coolest kid in the world. she has bangs..... which she hates and regrets.... but of course my daughter wants to be just like her and thinks bangs will accomplish that.

caveat: i'm more lax about things than my wife, but also more open about my opinion good or bad. wife is internally screaming and panicking, but will tell our kid what she thinks will create the least waves.... then tell me what she really feels. and that's concern that this haircut will lead to being bullied, being sad and potentially ruining her school life because kids are cruel.

so what the kid hears is dad saying "i think it's a bad idea and you're going to regret it" and mom saying "you have such nice hair and i think you're beautiful" (when she really means "i would be so embarrassed if it were me and i wouldn't handle other people's opinions of it so therefore you won't either and i want to tell you not to do it but i don't want you to be made at me so i won't say anything negative")

what's the play here?

let the kid go full speed ahead and live with the consequences? counsel patience? hardline "no" stance?

FATC1TY

the fat, shitty poster
my 13 year old inherited a fantastic blend of mom and dad's hair. net result is it's kind of unruly. big volume, frizzy, not manageable.

she wants her hair to be longer but hates taking care of it because she can't control it unless she uses a hot iron and straightens it. that lasts for a couple days before *poof* it explodes like Sideshow Bob again.

she told us she wants to cut bangs, shave half her head and dye it pink.

now.. i don't object to her doing what she wants with her hair.. it will grow back and all that.. but she's 13 and in middle school. which of course means she knows everything and we're idiots. that goes without saying.

i tried telling her that i've never met a woman who cut bangs that didn't nearly immediately say "i've made a huge mistake. i'm never doing that again." and that it would take her hair years to grow back out. she thinks, of course, that i'm stupid and have no idea what i'm talking about.

her sister did the classic toddler thing and hacked a fair size chunk of hair off in an effort to give herself bangs and, well, it took years to grow out. my 13 year old thinks this won't happen to her because of .... reasons?

and i should add that about 5 years ago she decided she wanted short hair. just below her ears. she got it cut.. then cried and cried and cried. and 5 years later (until about a month ago) she told us she never, ever wanted short hair again because it looked so bad.

i'm 99.99999% positive this new haircut idea comes from her friend who's slightly older whom she worships. she's the coolest kid in the world. she has bangs..... which she hates and regrets.... but of course my daughter wants to be just like her and thinks bangs will accomplish that.

caveat: i'm more lax about things than my wife, but also more open about my opinion good or bad. wife is internally screaming and panicking, but will tell our kid what she thinks will create the least waves.... then tell me what she really feels. and that's concern that this haircut will lead to being bullied, being sad and potentially ruining her school life because kids are cruel.

so what the kid hears is dad saying "i think it's a bad idea and you're going to regret it" and mom saying "you have such nice hair and i think you're beautiful" (when she really means "i would be so embarrassed if it were me and i wouldn't handle other people's opinions of it so therefore you won't either and i want to tell you not to do it but i don't want you to be made at me so i won't say anything negative")

what's the play here?

let the kid go full speed ahead and live with the consequences? counsel patience? hardline "no" stance?

If she is pretty good about dealing with comments from bullies and headstrong for it, I would let her, after really laying it all out, the consequences, the timeline, etc. let them “sleep on it” and if they still feel strong about it, have at it.

It’ll grow back, and if it goes south, it’s a learning lesson at a minimum.