The I'm Not an Otaku Thread (Anime)

Vaundy’s track for the episode 1 ED has some crazy Death from Above 1979 vibes going on.

Really digging the Zutomayo power pop track for ED 2 as well.

The show is having a new ED every episode. That’s awesome.

Mr Gundam I started The Witch from Mercury today. Only through the first episode but it's awesome so far. Also been watching Chainsaw Man and have watched all but today's episode. That's really good too.

Mr Gundam I started The Witch from Mercury today. Only through the first episode but it's awesome so far. Also been watching Chainsaw Man and have watched all but today's episode. That's really good too.
Shit got real in this week’s WfM. Definitely getting deep into the standard Gundam tropes.

Shit got real in this week’s WfM. Definitely getting deep into the standard Gundam tropes.
Okay so I got through episode 6. What exactly "got real" about this episode that wasn't real in others?
Obviously having the clone be destroyed was crazy and having a second gundam, but it didn't seem like anything big happened this week compared to other weeks?

Okay so I got through episode 6. What exactly "got real" about this episode that wasn't real in others?
Obviously having the clone be destroyed was crazy and having a second gundam, but it didn't seem like anything big happened this week compared to other weeks?
We're getting into the class warfare common in Gundam except this time it's switched with the Earthnoids being the subservient class underneath the Spacenoids, along with the face swapped commoner taking the place of the real Elan in an interesting change from the standard clone or "cyber Newtype" trope that often shows up. Hints at Elnora/Prospera's grudge going beyond just the attack on the Vanadis Institute research facility in the prologue. Something that happened 21 years ago. Darkness on the horizon instead of just school hijinks and dueling.

The visions that Aerial caused Elan #4 to see near the end of their duel hints at a lot, too.

Plus a lot of people online think Suletta isn't Eri, but a clone or some shit and the Aerial Gundam has the soul of dead children in it. We know Aerial is sentient, but I don't think we're going down the Evangelion path...

Oh yeah, did you watch the prologue episode?

We're getting into the class warfare common in Gundam except this time it's switched with the Earthnoids being the subservient class underneath the Spacenoids, along with the face swapped commoner taking the place of the real Elan in an interesting change from the standard clone or "cyber Newtype" trope that often shows up. Hints at Elnora/Prospera's grudge going beyond just the attack on the Vanadis Institute research facility in the prologue. Something that happened 21 years ago. Darkness on the horizon instead of just school hijinks and dueling.

The visions that Aerial caused Elan #4 to see near the end of their duel hints at a lot, too.

Plus a lot of people online think Suletta isn't Eri, but a clone or some shit and the Aerial Gundam has the soul of dead children in it. We know Aerial is sentient, but I don't think we're going down the Evangelion path...

Oh yeah, did you watch the prologue episode?
I did yeah. Of course I couldn't remember the one doctor character from the prologue. I guess I just see your spoiler as exactly where the show is headed and not, like, anything huge happening in this episode. But as far as foreshadowing further plots, yeah, that's totally true. You are also probably pulling from much more gundam knowledge as this is the first I've really watched.
I always figured Suletta was Eri, just with her name changed so the President doesn't murder them outright. And that Aerial was the Gundam they flew away in with a new coat of paint. We'll see I guess!

I did yeah. Of course I couldn't remember the one doctor character from the prologue. I guess I just see your spoiler as exactly where the show is headed and not, like, anything huge happening in this episode. But as far as foreshadowing further plots, yeah, that's totally true. You are also probably pulling from much more gundam knowledge as this is the first I've really watched.
I always figured Suletta was Eri, just with her name changed so the President doesn't murder them outright. And that Aerial was the Gundam they flew away in with a new coat of paint. We'll see I guess!
I'm with you on team Suletta=Eri, seems like the most obvious thing but a lot of people are going crazy with theories.

And yeah, I'm running with my Gundam knowledge. There's a very famous character in Zeta Gundam, the second show ever made, named Four Murasame that was a "Cyber Newtype" character. Elan being Number Four is a definite nod to that.

I like how they're putting forward the idea of Earthians being so low in terms of class status that they'd be willing to give up their identity and be modified in a way to do the dirty work for the elites with the chance of gaining better standing in life. They know that more than likely they'll die, but it's better than the alternative. Suletta siding with the Earth house and seeing the unrest in the news footage is definitely setting up war on the horizon.

This was finally translated into English and is definitely worth reading. Short story that fills in some of the gaps between the prologue and the series.

Oh yeah, we're getting a 12 episode "cour" and then the show will take a break and come back with a second cour of 12 episodes sometime next year. And this week's episode is a recap episode that isn't episode 7. Could still be some new revelations but it's just going to be a summary of prologue-episode six.

Last edited:
I'm with you on team Suletta=Eri, seems like the most obvious thing but a lot of people are going crazy with theories.

And yeah, I'm running with my Gundam knowledge. There's a very famous character in Zeta Gundam, the second show ever made, named Four Murasame that was a "Cyber Newtype" character. Elan being Number Four is a definite nod to that.

I like how they're putting forward the idea of Earthians being so low in terms of class status that they'd be willing to give up their identity and be modified in a way to do the dirty work for the elites with the chance of gaining better standing in life. They know that more than likely they'll die, but it's better than the alternative. Suletta siding with the Earth house and seeing the unrest in the news footage is definitely setting up war on the horizon.

This was finally translated into English and is definitely worth reading. Short story that fills in some of the gaps between the prologue and the series.

Oh yeah, we're getting a 12 episode "cour" and then the show will take a break and come back with a second cour of 12 episodes sometime next year. And this week's episode is a recap episode that isn't episode 7. Could still be some new revelations but it's just going to be a summary of prologue-episode six.
Okay yeah that short story definitely throws a lot of ideas into the air. Guess we'll see what it means that it was written from Aerial's perspective. Also, now that I think about it, Aerial is shockingly close to Eri if you pronounce it slightly odd.
Also I figured Elan being number 4 just meant that 3 others had already burnt themselves out before him but it could also have been chosen for that reason as well. We're about to have Number Five I assume.

Okay yeah that short story definitely throws a lot of ideas into the air. Guess we'll see what it means that it was written from Aerial's perspective. Also, now that I think about it, Aerial is shockingly close to Eri if you pronounce it slightly odd.
Also I figured Elan being number 4 just meant that 3 others had already burnt themselves out before him but it could also have been chosen for that reason as well. We're about to have Number Five I assume.

The spelling of their names in Japanese doesn't help with the theories either. And the fact they're using Shakespeare's The Tempest for some plot beats as well.

E29298D8-872D-42A4-BB52-A1915D5188A9.jpeg
Watched this week’s episode live on TV with the commercials. That was really fun. Did some live translating on the fly for the kids.

CDA4E5CB-31F5-4C36-A025-02988158149A.jpeg
Papa Gundam in Yokohama.

AE9CF029-ECD8-45BC-BF1C-60BCA289B45C.jpeg
Aerial is a brand of chips over here and they’ve totally jumped in on the marketing campaign.

Mr Gundam That ad video in episode 8 sure was something!

On a separate thought, did Gundams murder their wielders in other Gundam series or is that new to this one? I thought in previous ones they were just big mechs.

Mr Gundam That ad video in episode 8 sure was something!

On a separate thought, did Gundams murder their wielders in other Gundam series or is that new to this one? I thought in previous ones they were just big mechs.
That ain't the first time we've had goofy dancing. The original MSG had a little bit with Amuro and Bright, and then the G-Reco ED was full on dance dance dance.

There was physical strain and body modification required to pilot Gundams in Iron Blooded Orphans, but otherwise they were just big mechs.

5c4.gif

Glad to hear this is finally going to come out. Miyazaki-san has been working on this for quite a few years now,

I honestly really was probably the only one that liked the Cowboy Bebop Netflix series but I continue to wonder why Sunrise doesn’t take one of their non-Gundam cycles to make another Bebop movie like Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door.

*is currently watching Iron Blooded Orphans and having random thoughts*

I honestly really was probably the only one that liked the Cowboy Bebop Netflix series but I continue to wonder why Sunrise doesn’t take one of their non-Gundam cycles to make another Bebop movie like Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door.

*is currently watching Iron Blooded Orphans and having random thoughts*
Because Shinichiro Watanabe doesn’t want to. Simple as that. The more sobering/real talk answer is because Cowboy Bebop isn’t nearly as popular in Japan as it is in the West. Anime popularity cycles outside of some large IP like Gundam, Yamato, Lupin, Dragon Ball, Evangelion Sailor Moon and Macross are very very short. Reruns like we see on Adult Swim aren’t super common over there. They’re always churning out new shows and pushing another property.

Attack on Titan is already largely forgotten, FYI.

Last edited:
Because Shinichiro Watanabe doesn’t want to. Simple as that. The more sobering/real talk answer is because Cowboy Bebop isn’t nearly as popular in Japan as it is in the West. Anime popularity cycles outside of some large IP like Gundam, Yamato, Lupin, Dragon Ball, Evangelion Sailor Moon and Macross are very very short. Reruns like we see on Adult Swim aren’t super common over there. They’re always churning out new shows and pushing another property.

Attack on Titan is already largely forgotten, FYI.
BUT I WANT IT. Sigh. I understand.

Back