The I'm Not an Otaku Thread (Anime)

Well that didn't make me teary eyed or anything, especially when Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts showed up.

Also, mad props to Raj Ramayya. That dude is legit underrated and his vocal work on both Bebop and Wolf's Rain is absolutely brilliant.

Well that didn't make me teary eyed or anything, especially when Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts showed up.

Also, mad props to Raj Ramayya. That dude is legit underrated and his vocal work on both Bebop and Wolf's Rain is absolutely brilliant.

Any idea what Kanno is working on these days? She doesn’t really have many recent credits and I was surprised she didn’t score the new Ghost in the Shell project.

Any idea what Kanno is working on these days? She doesn’t really have many recent credits and I was surprised she didn’t score the new Ghost in the Shell project.

She hasn’t done anime for six years now, but she did show up in the video. She did the theme song for Square Enix’s arcade game Starwing Paradox which I played last time in Japan. Crazy cool mecha title.

Aside from Macross Plus, Bebop, Wolfs Rain and SAC, she also did a killer score for Turn A Gundam, and her work in Macross Frontier is amazing. Highly recommended.

She hasn’t done anime for six years now, but she did show up in the video. She did the theme song for Square Enix’s arcade game Starwing Paradox which I played last time in Japan. Crazy cool mecha title.

Aside from Macross Plus, Bebop, Wolfs Rain and SAC, she also did a killer score for Turn A Gundam, and her work in Macross Frontier is amazing. Highly recommended.
Upon further research (okay I looked at Wikipedia) she does a ton of commercial work in Japan these days apparently.

okay, y'all, my 12 year old daughter is really in to anime and manga. this is a totally new world for me. the only thing i know about it is what she tells us, which is that she likes My Hero Academia, Hunter x Hunter... some series of books named Fruits Basket... and her friend is really in to Attack on Titan.

what else could you all recommend? my understanding is this genre has been around a while so maybe some older titles that you were in to when younger? things that are appropriate for a tween, please.

okay, y'all, my 12 year old daughter is really in to anime and manga. this is a totally new world for me. the only thing i know about it is what she tells us, which is that she likes My Hero Academia, Hunter x Hunter... some series of books named Fruits Basket... and her friend is really in to Attack on Titan.

what else could you all recommend? my understanding is this genre has been around a while so maybe some older titles that you were in to when younger? things that are appropriate for a tween, please.

OceanOfMead and I have been throwing together a list to recommend to her teenage cousin, here's the few we have so far. I'll post more when the list is better:
Ranma 1/2
Samurai Champloo
Ghost in the Shell
Cowboy BeeBop
Space Dandy

Quarantine gave us some time so we binged FMA: Brotherhood (for the first time, for shame), reached Avatar (not sure about the feelings on that in these quarters but ZFG) and are currently rewatching Cowboy Bebop. I forgot how fucking phenomenal the music is.

Quarantine gave us some time so we binged FMA: Brotherhood (for the first time, for shame), reached Avatar (not sure about the feelings on that in these quarters but ZFG) and are currently rewatching Cowboy Bebop. I forgot how fucking phenomenal the music is.
i started rewatching samurai champloo!

the three you mentioned are my go too for people who don't know anything about anime. avatar especially if they have kids! FMA might be my favorite show of all time!

I'd say most of the major Shonen Jump stuff. It's violent but but nothing super graphic of over the top 99% of the time.

Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Black Clover
Demon Slayer

All the Dragon Ball stuff is pretty fun.

Another great old school one is Inu Yasha. A next generation Inu Yasha show is in the works now.

Netflix has a few shows that I enjoyed and think may be age-appropriate:

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Your Lie in April
Violet Evergarden

They also have a number of really good shows that might be better viewed in the future (although Hunter x Hunter and Attack on Titan have their moments of violence so maybe this is all fine?):

Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
Code Geass
Death Note
Evangelion

A couple friends have mentioned that Haikyu!! is a fun show so I plan to watch that sooner or later.

Sailor Moon (original one from the 90s and the more recent manga-accurate Sailr Moon Crystal) is on Hulu. The original Cardcaptor Sakura is on Netflix and the recent sequel is on Hulu. Both awesome shojo titles that my daughter loves. Plus, Cardcaptor Sakura is super fucking gay and accepting of everyone. It's been amazing to see just how LGBT friendly it is while popping into the room while my daughter has been watching it. Most anime just makes LGBT characters comic relief or sexually aggressive, so it's super refreshing. Especially for a show that aired on NHK.

OOOOOH. Carole and Tuesday. It's on Netflix. Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop) is in charge, it's about two girls who want to become musicians. Strangely enough, it takes place in the same universe as Bebop.

It's not available on streaming, but I highly highly recommend she watch Vision of Escaflowne. It's my favorite anime title of all time and she'd probably dig it.

I watched Robotech and Star Blazers when I was young. Might be going too far back.

Macross Frontier (or any Macross outside the original and Plus) is not legally available outside Japan, but it's also probably up her alley.

The recent Space Battleship Yamato remakes are brilliant, and you can stream them legally via Crunchyroll.

Last edited:
Carole and Tuesday. It's on Netflix. Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop) is in charge, it's about two girls who want to become musicians. Strangely enough, it takes place in the same universe as Bebop.
Shows you how much I pay attention to anime these days. I need to check this out.... didn't know Watanabe had had a newer series...

It's not available on streaming, but I highly highly recommend she watch Vision of Escaflowne. It's my favorite anime title of all time and she'd probably dig it.
Heck yeah. Big fan of Yoko Kanno's score on this one too. I think the opening song (sung by Maaya Sakamoto who also plays the main character on the show) is right up there with Evangelion and Bebop as best/most iconic of all time.

It's on Funimation's streaming service, btw: https://www.funimation.com/shows/the-vision-of-escaflowne/?qid=a60bd822b776b42

Back