The "I Hate Beer" Thread

That's how I feel about basically all hyped beers, but especially stouts. Once you get past a certain quality threshold the differences start to be marginal.

And I will never for the life of me understand going out of your way for a pastry stout. They're all the damned same!

I feel that way about a lot of beers, but especially dark ones like stouts and barleywines. At some point you just hit this quality threshold where I cannot discern differences. I had dinner with my best friend, Adam from Floodland, and a couple other people a while back and everyone brought stupid amounts of beer. BBT was just some random thing that happened to be there. If I didn't look at my Untappd checkin I don't think I could tell you anything about it other than a lot of the people there were excited to drink it.

F1ED6721-5432-4102-80FD-D4AEED3C9EE2.png

I feel that way about a lot of beers, but especially dark ones like stouts and barleywines. At some point you just hit this quality threshold where I cannot discern differences. I had dinner with my best friend, Adam from Floodland, and a couple other people a while back and everyone brought stupid amounts of beer. BBT was just some random thing that happened to be there. If I didn't look at my Untappd checkin I don't think I could tell you anything about it other than a lot of the people there were excited to drink it.

ISO floodland. Oh wait 😭😓

I mean sure, all beer styles can only be so good, but I'm not sure that I would say barleywines and stouts fall into the diminishing returns category like pastry stouts do.

I mean sure, all beer styles can only be so good, but I'm not sure that I would say barleywines and stouts fall into the diminishing returns category like pastry stouts do.

It's my palette. I can distinguish between a good stout and a bad stout, but at some point that really really good stout doesn't do anything for me that the good stout could do, and then I feel better about myself for not obsessing over them.

I've had BBT twice and liked it more the second time but still it's just a pretty good stout. Looking back on my old rating, I strongly suspect I had no idea there even was hype when I tried it.

AE80C2E6-8C7E-4A97-8B27-6730890837B7.jpeg

The Strange Brew podcast did an episode on the counterfeit KBBS debacle from a few years ago. It was crazy.

I don't think anyone's posted this, but the best part is the comments.

@ftowne

I don't think anyone's posted this, but the best part is the comments.

@ftowne

Scrolling down to the comments my first thought was INRAT...glad I wasn't disappointed.

I like how some people in that thread are all "fuck that guy! He should be punished to the full extent of the law!" but then people are like "oh no no no let's not get the cops involved cause it might prevent us from trading and shipping beer."

Back