The "I Hate Beer" Thread

That's how I feel about basically all hyped beers, but especially stouts. Once you get past a certain quality threshold the differences start to be marginal.

And I will never for the life of me understand going out of your way for a pastry stout. They're all the damned same!
I feel that way about a lot of beers, but especially dark ones like stouts and barleywines. At some point you just hit this quality threshold where I cannot discern differences. I had dinner with my best friend, Adam from Floodland, and a couple other people a while back and everyone brought stupid amounts of beer. BBT was just some random thing that happened to be there. If I didn't look at my Untappd checkin I don't think I could tell you anything about it other than a lot of the people there were excited to drink it.

F1ED6721-5432-4102-80FD-D4AEED3C9EE2.png

I feel that way about a lot of beers, but especially dark ones like stouts and barleywines. At some point you just hit this quality threshold where I cannot discern differences. I had dinner with my best friend, Adam from Floodland, and a couple other people a while back and everyone brought stupid amounts of beer. BBT was just some random thing that happened to be there. If I didn't look at my Untappd checkin I don't think I could tell you anything about it other than a lot of the people there were excited to drink it.

ISO floodland. Oh wait 😭😓

Jerm

Staff member

I mean sure, all beer styles can only be so good, but I'm not sure that I would say barleywines and stouts fall into the diminishing returns category like pastry stouts do.

I mean sure, all beer styles can only be so good, but I'm not sure that I would say barleywines and stouts fall into the diminishing returns category like pastry stouts do.
It's my palette. I can distinguish between a good stout and a bad stout, but at some point that really really good stout doesn't do anything for me that the good stout could do, and then I feel better about myself for not obsessing over them.

Nathan

Administrator
Staff member
I've had BBT twice and liked it more the second time but still it's just a pretty good stout. Looking back on my old rating, I strongly suspect I had no idea there even was hype when I tried it.

AE80C2E6-8C7E-4A97-8B27-6730890837B7.jpeg

I don't think anyone's posted this, but the best part is the comments.

@ftowne

I don't think anyone's posted this, but the best part is the comments.

@ftowne
Scrolling down to the comments my first thought was INRAT...glad I wasn't disappointed.