The Footy Thread (Soccer is a terrible word)

I feel like I'm sort of a bandwagon-er in the truest sense of the word. I jumped on in/around the treble of 98-99.. I had a roommate who loved them and got me into it so naturally I started rooting for his team. I fancy myself a fan who jumped on before all the trophies in the mid 00s... but what does that really get me? it'd be different, I suppose, if I became a fan during the LvG years. ugh.

Strife&Upheaval has been hating on VAR since before it was a twinkle in UEFA's eye.
As much as I dislike VAR in total, it is obvious that the idiot in charge of it in the EPL is making it worse than it should be.

The scrutinizing if someone is offside by an armpit and the lack of using the pitch side monitors has destroyed any chance it had of being accepted in England. That and the ridiculous handball rule change are absolute jokes.

I am backtracking

Liverpool and all their bandwagon fans are the absolute fucking worst. Enjoy that 1st title.

The 18 do not count? Any reason other than jumping on the EPL bandwagon? Football existed before 1992. Just saying.
The Premier League sucks this year with Liverpool in all the games when I'm awake, playing great defense, and getting gifted 1 goal wins with a decision or stupid mistake by the other team. Also, what's up with the lack of Monday games?

is this really your take? I have seen teams dominate the league, I have seen teams a bunch, but if your take is that Liverpool are winning games due to a defense and mistakes and the ref’s you might need to reevaluate.

or maybe all these games you are forced to watch,you actually watch. I mean we have the best defensive record, and the second top scorer’s.
And Mane, Mo and Bobby are not perhaps the best forward line in the league.

the Ev and Man City talked all last year about VAR being the reason we would struggle to not get relegated this year, now it is a conspiracy for us to win the league.

Your take is almost as mad as them lot, not quite, but almost.

night football has always sucked

18EE1C4A-8C28-4307-96D8-A81B8B85057A.jpeg
fireworks, cheerleaders and a whole lot of awfulness.

plus, Dire Straights and that Shitty song. i still think moving from the League to the Gobshites on sky and the premier league was a disaster. Richard Keyes,Andy Grey and fucking Soccer AM.

Everything about Monday Night football sums up that mistake.

Don’t get me started.

I am backtracking

The 18 do not count? Any reason other than jumping on the EPL bandwagon? Football existed before 1992. Just saying.

is this really your take? I have seen teams dominate the league, I have seen teams a bunch, but if your take is that Liverpool are winning games due to a defense and mistakes and the ref’s you might need to reevaluate.

or maybe all these games you are forced to watch,you actually watch. I mean we have the best defensive record, and the second top scorer’s.
And Mane, Mo and Bobby are not perhaps the best forward line in the league.

the Ev and Man City talked all last year about VAR being the reason we would struggle to not get relegated this year, now it is a conspiracy for us to win the league.

Your take is almost as mad as them lot, not quite, but almost.
Of course, I always thought it was weird when people frame it like that, Just being a prick.

Mostly facetious. They are really freaking good, and disliking them makes it less entertaining to watch. Certainly not every game. They've won every way possible this season, and even the games against other top clubs are boring because the opponents seem to have no chance. Just a testament to their quality, especially in defense. The league has been wrapped up for what seems like forever. It's kind of boring if you're not a fan.

Fuck VAR. At least hurry the fuck up with that shit. Screws with the rhythm of the game, and has me nitpicking every play. It's infuriating. Liverpool are so far ahead it's impossible to say refs are deciding it for them, mostly trolling.

Unbelievable that Liverpool came out of that with a victory.

Wouldn't be surprised if Mane is out for a while.

Couldn't really follow the game today, but it appears Wolves were unlucky to not get something out of the game.

Yeah. I would say Wolves were in control with Liverpool looking pretty sluggish from about the 35 minute mark until basically Firmino scored. Several times Wolves looked like getting a second.

So while Man City are obviously in breach of the FFP rules I am way more interested in how their fans are freaking out about this than the actual consequences. I assume it will be reduced on appeal.
Also interested in how the EPL react as if guilty of breaking UeFA riles they broke EPL rules.
Do they retroactive punish them? Think the investigation was 2012-16(?) or a points punishment? Would amuse me greatly if they do a point penalty for next year.

Reactions: Max
So while Man City are obviously in breach of the FFP rules I am way more interested in how their fans are freaking out about this than the actual consequences. I assume it will be reduced on appeal.
Also interested in how the EPL react as if guilty of breaking UeFA riles they broke EPL rules.
Do they retroactive punish them? Think the investigation was 2012-16(?) or a points punishment? Would amuse me greatly if they do a point penalty for next year.
just wondering if UEFA is making an example of a 'lesser' team and this is just a shot of the bow to Real, Barcelona, PSG.

Looks like Liverpool - Atletico is on TNT. Anyone know if the PSG - Dortmund is on any channel? Can't seem to find it.

Back