The Footy Thread (Soccer is a terrible word)

And. Livrrpool’s new socks might be the most obnoxious thing I will find in a while. Just terrible We wear red. Nit red and white.

Also VAR still fucked up when not doing anything. Delaying the game because of like of Wifi is annoying.

Terrible.

I’m a var apologist for the most part, but much like the mlb review takes away the ‘in the neighborhood’ double play, that last city goal where sterling was called off is silly. said it was his shoulder/armpit that was off. come on.

tie goes to the runner.

and now city get a retake of a penalty bc Fabianski took a tiny step off the line and saved it.

not off to a good start, var

I love VAR. I'll fight anyone.

If the "laws of the game" are dumb, change the laws. But as long as a shoulder is something you can play a ball with, and you can show the shoulder is offsides, enforce the rules. Same with Fabianski coming off the line/Rice encroaching too early.

Some of my biggest irrational frustrations are watching goalkeepers leave their line early or defenders enter the box early, the commentators making a stink about it and then the ref just shrugging his shoulders and not doing anything about it.

I can be easily convinced those rules are dumb, but as long as they're on the books, it's a bigger deal to me not to enforce them then it is to VAR them.

VAR is simply a waste of time.

If the ref had given a goal kick instead of a oenalty would VAR have given a oenalty? Doubtful. But is not checked as it is not an obvious error. The fuck does that even mean?

The rules of this system are undermining refs, not helping them. Same for Mane’s overhead that hit an arm. Did VAR even look at it?nope

And yes, Adrian was clearly in violation on the last pen. Why is the system in place?

VAR has done nothing to improve the game, simply made it even more fucking subjective.

Terrible system.

Do away with it.

If the ref had given a goal kick instead of a oenalty would VAR have given a oenalty? Doubtful. But is not checked as it is not an obvious error. The fuck does that even mean?

The rules of this system are undermining refs, not helping them. Same for Mane’s overhead that hit an arm. Did VAR even look at it?nope

And yes, Adrian was clearly in violation on the last pen. Why is the system in place?

VAR has done nothing to improve the game, simply made it even more fucking subjective.

Terrible system.

Do away with it.

I think part of it (all of it?) is money.

There is big money in soccer/footy/football - TV money, gambling money, stadiums, transfer fees, wages, gate etc. - and people don't want results to be "unfair". Especially in a sport that is low scoring and with a very small average margin of victory, I think the focus on fairness is magnified even more.

The VAR system isn't perfect, but hopefully it will get better. There's virtually zero chance it ever goes away.

Terrible system.

Do away with it.

I must be missing something. On the Abraham "penalty" VAR looked at the call, decided there wasn't a view that showed the ref made the wrong call (also there wasn't a view that showed she was correct either) and they chose to defer to her original decision.

That's not even close to undermining. It's basically the opposite.

I must be missing something. On the Abraham "penalty" VAR looked at the call, decided there wasn't a view that showed the ref made the wrong call (also there wasn't a view that showed she was correct either) and they chose to defer to her original decision.

That's not even close to undermining. It's basically the opposite.

The point being, why does VAR only have access to such a small number of camera angles? Thought the point was to ensure decisions were correct?

In this case, your description is correct, but if so, what exactly is the point of VAR?

The point being, why does VAR only have access to such a small number of camera angles? Thought the point was to ensure decisions were correct?

In this case, your description is correct, but if so, what exactly is the point of VAR?

I'm 99.9% certain when I posted this this morning I had another section of text that included the Pulisic offsides goal being corrected as well as some verbiage about "codgers" and a dice reference about watching a game and not knowing if your team was going to roll snake eyes or 7/11 on decisions that should be black-or-white.

I have no idea where this portion of my reply went. mods? Did I get edited or did I just mess up something.

I'm 99.9% certain when I posted this this morning I had another section of text that included the Pulisic offsides goal being corrected as well as some verbiage about "codgers" and a dice reference about watching a game and not knowing if your team was going to roll snake eyes or 7/11 on decisions that should be black-or-white.

I have no idea where this portion of my reply went. mods? Did I get edited or did I just mess up something.

Nothing was modded so IDK? Checked the logs and errrrrrything.

Back