The Footy Thread (Soccer is a terrible word)

As a Red Bulls/Metrostars supporter I dig the Tony Meola, the player, shout out. Since he's retired and gone into radio/coaching and joined the sort of apologist faction of "things aren't that terrible" he's kind of transitioned into the Eric Wynalda school of older, stubborn idiots for me.

As a keeper he was someone that I idolized growing up. I still have the picture he signed for me hanging on the wall in my office. I don't care much for his announcing or whatever, but man growing up I wanted to play just like him.

the best point coming from all this conversation is that Bradley should just retire from international duty. like, now. and you're exactly right.. that would take any onus off of Burhalter and not make him look like the goober that cut Michael freaking Bradley.

all that to say... I thought we had moved on from that core. but we haven't? players that slightly overlapped like the aforementioned Zardes, Arriola types probably need to be gently pushed out. I guess I'm just restating everything that was said in the last page or so, sorry.

also, I don't understand US soccer's aversion to bringing in international coaches.

Just a reminder how corrupt USSF is:

The problem with getting rid of Bradley are the alternatives, Will Trapp and I guess Jackson Yueill until Adams returns. I would argue both are worse than Bradley at this point and have similar functions, 6's that contain, but don't really win the ball. I guess Paxton Pomykal and even Brandon Servania are bright prospects, but still young.

At the end of the day, since Greggg isn't going anywhere, I just hope he opens his eyes and recognizes that his system does not work with these players. I really don't think the talent is the issue, at least against teams like Canada, but maybe it's time to abandon the "build from the back" style and move to a more pragmatic press/counterattack that has worked in the past. It's not pretty, but USMNT soccer never really has been.

Reactions: Max
Just a reminder how corrupt USSF is:

The problem with getting rid of Bradley are the alternatives, Will Trapp and I guess Jackson Yueill until Adams returns. I would argue both are worse than Bradley at this point and have similar functions, 6's that contain, but don't really win the ball. I guess Paxton Pomykal and even Brandon Servania are bright prospects, but still young.

At the end of the day, since Greggg isn't going anywhere, I just hope he opens his eyes and recognizes that his system does not work with these players. I really don't think the talent is the issue, at least against teams like Canada, but maybe it's time to abandon the "build from the back" style and move to a more pragmatic press/counterattack that has worked in the past. It's not pretty, but USMNT soccer never really has been.
for all these teams that have tried to adapt the 'build from the back' style... you're not City. you're not Liverpool. you're not Spain. unless you have the speed and passing accuracy at the back, this style will always fail against teams with an agile front three. all I ask is that the keeper be more selective about when. there will be teams that the US can be successful against using that style. and there are many teams where they won't. Greg has to recognize which teams he can/cannot run this offense with. he also seems to not really be able to change the game plan at halftime if need be.

VAR had a tough weekend. Keep seeing pundits come out saying what everyone has been saying since the start, how awful it is.

Hard to dwell on the Son:Gomez incident, but that is not his fault. How a red is given is a joke.
Never mind the 10+ terrible calls this weekend.

Fuck it off, ruining the game

VAR had a tough weekend. Keep seeing pundits come out saying what everyone has been saying since the start, how awful it is.

Hard to dwell on the Son:Gomez incident, but that is not his fault. How a red is given is a joke.
Never mind the 10+ terrible calls this weekend.

Fuck it off, ruining the game
I think Rebecca Lowe and the Robbies nailed it in the studio... it's starting to become re-refereeing. it's supposed to be reviewing the play to find a 'clear and obvious error'. if you have to watch a replay for 2+ minutes then whatever the result of the play was should stand. the review of Dele's almost hand ball took way too long, despite resulting in the right call. except that was the call on the field.

also, Mike Deane, despite not being anywhere near the field is somehow still impacting games negatively.

I think Rebecca Lowe and the Robbies nailed it in the studio... it's starting to become re-refereeing. it's supposed to be reviewing the play to find a 'clear and obvious error'. if you have to watch a replay for 2+ minutes then whatever the result of the play was should stand. the review of Dele's almost hand ball took way too long, despite resulting in the right call. except that was the call on the field.

also, Mike Deane, despite not being anywhere near the field is somehow still impacting games negatively.

I have always felt that in any sports replay review, it should be reviewed fresh without reference to the "call on the field". If it's close enough that you need to review it, and the intent is to get the call right, then, theoretically, the folks that can look at it in slow-mo 10 times are typically going to make a better call than the referee on the field.

I cannot wait to see the trainwreck pairing of Mourinho and Tottenham go up in flames. Daniel Levy must be out of his mind.
I thought for sure he would hold out for the Arsenal job. but I suppose Spurs have more pieces in place? but damn Spurs.. haven't you seen the last two times he managed in the league..?

We play Flamengo tomorrow. Gives me goosebumps from 1981.

i am with the South Americans in thinking this tournament is about as big as it gets always has been. Loved Klopp’s comments on it today.

Flamengo fans still sing about beating us in 1981, my memory is my Mum watched it live
We got up as kids to watch the VHS recording, I was 6, the fact my Ma stayed in bed, I knew we lost before we started watching.

Reading about how the team got drunk on the flight and played a few hours later jet lagged explains it all.

ironically, too much stuff occurring tomorrow so I will not get to see it live. Watching a Recording later and trying to avoid the result fora few hours (insert Likely Lads Meme. No one gets)

Sadly my Ma will never see us when this trophy. One of the few we have never won. Will mean a lot to win for me.

Back