The BBQ and grilling thread including Big Green Eggs and everything else too

While we are on the topic, im looking to try something new and wanna see if any of you folks have experience in the matter.

Since these are skin on cuts with beautiful layers of fat and meat marbled/intertwined, has anyone made their own cracklings?

Im somewhat skiddish on trimming the fat cap off as I like to leave it in tact while its smoking and then once finished, trim it off, emulsify and add it back to the pork once its pulled apart.

Im gonna experiment with at least 1 of the picnics and im thinking cracklings is the way I wanna go with the one.

I put in my first ever Wiens order recently, and I threw in a London Broil just because the only person that reviewed it was seemingly all about it, and I'm an easily persuaded dumbass.

Any good London Broil recipes or techniques? Cook like a regular steak?

I have a smoker (not an egg), and I am a pretty simple man. I cook most of my steaks as such: Do a day dry brine in the fridge. Reverse sear to desired temp. Sear it in cast iron over high heat to finish. Can I do that with a London Broil?

Edit: I searched the old TB thread for London Broil and found a couple, but I'm not really trying to do BadJustin's Patented Peanut Butter Rub.

I put in my first ever Wiens order recently, and I threw in a London Broil just because the only person that reviewed it was seemingly all about it, and I'm an easily persuaded dumbass.

Any good London Broil recipes or techniques? Cook like a regular steak?

I have a smoker (not an egg), and I am a pretty simple man. I cook most of my steaks as such: Do a day dry brine in the fridge. Reverse sear to desired temp. Sear it in cast iron over high heat to finish. Can I do that with a London Broil?

Edit: I searched the old TB thread for London Broil and found a couple, but I'm not really trying to do BadJustin's Patented Peanut Butter Rub.

Damn your edit got me. I was gonna say peanut butter seems popular in NY.

Just grill it and treat it as you would a leaner-ish steak/roast.
I would avoid “smoking” it.

Damn your edit got me. I was gonna say peanut butter seems popular in NY.

Just grill it and treat it as you would a leaner-ish steak/roast.
I would avoid “smoking” it.

I guess I made that confusing, but I wouldn't smoke it. Just pointing out that I don't have an egg.

So I could do the dry brine / reverse sear thing with it, but maybe cook it a little more rare than I tend to cook fattier cuts of meat?

While we are on the topic, im looking to try something new and wanna see if any of you folks have experience in the matter.

Since these are skin on cuts with beautiful layers of fat and meat marbled/intertwined, has anyone made their own cracklings?

Im somewhat skiddish on trimming the fat cap off as I like to leave it in tact while its smoking and then once finished, trim it off, emulsify and add it back to the pork once its pulled apart.

Im gonna experiment with at least 1 of the picnics and im thinking cracklings is the way I wanna go with the one.
Fuck it. I took off work today and the smoker is rolling now instead of tomorrow. I treated 2 of the picnics per usual then I skinned the 3rd one. Im about to dive in and give cracklings my first attempt.

This is old news to all of you im sure but just documenting my process here incase anyone new to the game wants to follow along.

35730190-3E2A-4258-A32D-0642539CD19C.jpeg
3x pork picnics - lower one skinned obviously for dem cracklings

2BA11B8D-36A8-4DDE-97B7-72974CE26172.jpeg
yellow paint jobby job. even if you hate mustard, trust me on this one

D5A5F153-2387-47BB-8049-55B453AE5CE6.jpeg

I fillet the fat cap/skin back on the other 2 just to let some of my seasoning really get up in her. My preferred rub has always been “best odds pulled pork rub” look it up, its fucking everywhere but I tinker with ratios and add some herbs its missing.

9EA4EC6C-4EFB-4D9B-A0AD-6BB02ACF439F.jpeg

Now that these beauts are ready to roll, I let them rest for an hour or so to sweat it out a little before going into the smoke.

This is 34lbs of pork. Im gonna let it roll for a couple hours to bark up and once she looks dry, im gonna mist them with a 50/50 blend of apple juice and apple cider on an hourly basis or so. Also gonna get started shortly on my voodoo good vibes carolina style sauce.

557D8295-3ACD-47EF-9615-F9D476C5A53F.jpeg

Cracklings didnt turn out half bad. Im reserving the thought as to if ill make them again based off whether or not removing that fat impacts the roast I removed it from.

Sauce is underway. I love tangy carolina style and my rendition, watered down with good vibes ipa and then reduced, is something I might enjoy more than the pork itself.

F953896F-15B0-4837-9BDB-6E71017B1F23.jpeg

Good work being done here. Only to add according to my pig provider here locally who is sitting right next to me it’s not proper parlance per se but pretty much in Midwest “picnic” will always have skin whereas “butt” never will. But that’s not consistent elsewhere especially to the south and east.

E71ED234-CDF6-47E0-976C-013FC572DED3.jpeg

This is the one I skinned. While the difference in overall moisture was noticeable to me, I dont think it was a bad thing having my rub more im contact with the meat making a slightly better bark on this one vs the others.

C2736830-8DCA-4870-A351-ABB9817C80DB.jpeg
Here we are deboned and all pulled apart. The bowl of juice is the reserve drippings that ill reincorporate. I also saved some of the fat that im thinking about emulsifying and working back in as well.

Decided to try a Koji rubbed steak experiment this weekend.

$7 Koji from Amazon

IMG_4851.JPG

Cheap ass 18oz. Choice NY Strip.

One covered with Koji and one left plain.

IMG_4852.JPG

Stored for 48 hours in my walk in cooler (garage)

Regular on the left, Koji on the right.

IMG_4854.JPG

Results:

They both tasted the same. Maybe 48 hours wasn't enough but everything that I have read suggests 48 is the sweet spot. Mid 30's in the garage all weekend. Next time we will age them longer.

Both tasted amazing though.

Decided to try a Koji rubbed steak experiment this weekend.

$7 Koji from Amazon

IMG_4851.JPG

Cheap ass 18oz. Choice NY Strip.

One covered with Koji and one left plain.

IMG_4852.JPG

Stored for 48 hours in my walk in cooler (garage)

Regular on the left, Koji on the right.

IMG_4854.JPG

Results:

They both tasted the same. Maybe 48 hours wasn't enough but everything that I have read suggests 48 is the sweet spot. Mid 30's in the garage all weekend. Next time we will age them longer.

Both tasted amazing though.

I also just did this for the first time a couple weeks ago with Denver Steaks from Porter Road. V noticeable difference and I will definitely be using it more often. While they were both delicious, the Koji one had that dry-aged nutty and funky flavor but I didn't get any added tenderness....maybe even a bit less tender. I also did 48 hours but kept in my fridge and seared in cast iron after coming up towards room temp (didn't probe) for maybe an hour.

Want to try with other cuts but I'm on an insane calorie-restricted diet for a Biggest Loser contest right now so gonna have to wait 7 more weeks. On that note, why the fuck am I reading this thread??

Has anyone ever had Wiens forget a part of their order?

I got my very first order in today, and it looks like I’m a Flank Steak short (ordered 2, got 1).

I’m retracing my steps from where I opened the box and where I carried everything downstairs to the freezer...but only one Flank. Got everything else. I even dug through the garbage I took outside just to make sure I didn’t accidentally throw it away with the packaging.

Should I email? Kind of shady a new customer just starts saying they didn’t fulfill his order, but I guess I should at least let them know...

I got my very first order in today, and it looks like I’m a Flank Steak short (ordered 2, got 1).

I’m retracing my steps from where I opened the box and where I carried everything downstairs to the freezer...but only one Flank. Got everything else. I even dug through the garbage I took outside just to make sure I didn’t accidentally throw it away with the packaging.

Should I email? Kind of shady a new customer just starts saying they didn’t fulfill his order, but I guess I should at least let them know...

Never happened to me but that place costs a lot and the flanks are great. Definitely I’d say something.

I’ve never had an issue like that in dozens of orders but they are good people just tell them. I can’t imagine they won’t do something for ya.

It might be a good idea to have the package weight on hand when talking to them about your order.

It might be a good idea to have the package weight on hand when talking to them about your order.

I shot them an email, and no joke 15 minutes later he responded back and said "I'm infamous for doing that" and gave me a refund for the steak. I would've gladly just taken credit towards the next purchase (it was only like $9). Great service all around.

One time my parents ordered me some Bacon from Burgers Smokehouse and they accidentally sent me a whole turkey and half ham (note I have a November Birthday and this was some Thanksgiving bundle that cost double whatever they ordered)... i called my parents confused “thanks for the Thanksgiving dinner?” It was good. I wasn’t mad about it. Just confused as to why my parents sent me a whole turkey. We weren’t supposed to be hone for Thanksgiving that year and it was before I discovered the Hot Brown.

Back