Spicy Sauces

Said it before but the black label is so good. It’s smoky and a little funky and goes great on everything

Tasted it tonight. You are correct. El Yucateco Black Label Reserve is the perfect combo of spice, tang and heat, and just a great depth of flavor. Seems pretty versatile too, I'm a fan.

Also tasted the Chipotle one (exactly as advertised, almost more salsa like than hot sauce like in flavor) and Caribbean (it's good but I'd definitely take Marie Sharpe over it for Caribbean).

Need to grab some of that black label...I usually keep this in the fridge tho

vlROzZc7_J-bSYfrx5S9RiMqLm2JL7AJvM3IECJgZoLryYV2hyEUF7n2nRgt799JyKVkeG6_8OoKjufB0crOattsqtatVA

Stopped in World Market tonight for the first time since the lockdown and they had Torchbearer’s Garlic Reaper. Neat. No new Secret Aardvark shipments yet I guess... bare shelf.

Also got some much needed Marconi Hot Giardiniera.

I'm currently fermenting a jar of Thai chili peppers with a few serranos in the mix. The brine is lip-numbing hot, so I thought about adding fruits/veggies before I blend. Maybe mango? Carrot?

Anyone have recipes or thoughts? There's so much stuff online for mango+habanero, but these Bangkok peppers are clearly less common.
Test batch of Thai chili & mango hot sauce

Fermented the peppers with garlic for 6 days. Blended with white wine vinegar, some of the brine, and mango. Added an ounce of Balcones single malt whisky and simmered about 15 min to stop the fermentation.

Yielded two of these and a bit extra. Funky, bright spice from the Thai peppers, and just the right sweetness from the mango. The only change I’d make is thinning it out, but that’s nitpicking.

EF009E1A-C5E5-477C-B417-D6D88C8726D7.jpeg

Saw Aardvark products (secret, serrabanero, jerk) at Whole Foods tonight while picking up some Yellowbird. A little bit of a markup from other places, but nice to not have to go out of the way.

I just grabbed a bottle of Secret Aardvark Habanero from our local Fresh Market last week. It was my first time trying it and I’m definitely enjoying. Plus it was on sale for $6.99 an 8oz bottle so I thought that was reasonable pricing

Latest two hot sauces

Left:
Thai chili fermented for a week with garlic and onions, and then blended with equal parts brine and white wine vinegar. I did very little straining on this batch because I wanted seeds and texture. Made one bottle and canned the rest. I think there’s another jar I forgot to include in the pic.

Right:
Last weekend my neighbor was smoking a turkey and pork belly, so I threw six ghost peppers and a few jalapeños on there. Oak smoked for several hours, but I forget the exact timing. Today I roasted carrots, tomatoes, onions, and garlic under the broiler for about 15-20 min, and then blended with the ghost peppers and two jalapeños. White wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and salt were added to taste before simmering, bottling, and canning. I planned to bottle this entire batch, but I ran out of 5 oz bottles.

EC67A13D-9CDB-4BB7-B35C-149AA54D767F.jpeg

LOL I just put this on my pizza and need to be a little more careful. This stuff is “not fucking around” hot. Carolina reaper is ingredient #1. Love the big garlic flavor.

D42DF14A-F2C4-45E3-AF1B-1F6FE62C319C.jpeg
Just got some of this in the mail and maybe my spice tolerance isn’t as good as I thought. Shit has got me fired up. Also ordered Oww My Garlic from them which is a test batch of a mix of Oh My Garlic and this one. Can use much more liberally.

The Cayenne's have really been rolling in from the garden so today we got to make our first batch of hot sauce of the year.

Pretty simple recipe: Cayenne, white wine vinegar and salt.

Even after running it through the food processor it was pretty chunky so we strained it. The solids I will dry and grind into powder.

IMG_5638.JPG

IMG_5641.JPG

Strained sauce looks and tastes pretty good.

IMG_5640.JPG

The Cayenne's have really been rolling in from the garden so today we got to make our first batch of hot sauce of the year.

Pretty simple recipe: Cayenne, white wine vinegar and salt.

Even after running it through the food processor it was pretty chunky so we strained it. The solids I will dry and grind into powder.

IMG_5638.JPG

IMG_5641.JPG

Strained sauce looks and tastes pretty good.

IMG_5640.JPG
Dry them in a pan on your dashboard for an authentic experience

Bottled my first serrano hot sauce with peppers from the garden. Intended to ferment this batch, but I pulsed the peppers too much and they wouldn’t stay submerged in the brine. So learning lesson for batch 2!

01DAB9FB-AFC2-4EC2-AECE-B11E86C6DAC5.jpeg

ELI5 how to brine/ferment please

ELI5 how to brine/ferment please
I could type up a bunch of recipes and try to sound like a pro, but none of it would be as easy as perusing this site for ten minutes or so. Dude may be corny but he’s a great resource

but PM me if you still have questions. You will need certain things to start and a good quality blender and “basic” kitchen utensils are a must. I think the guy even walks through his sources for bottles and all that kinda stuff

I could type up a bunch of recipes and try to sound like a pro, but none of it would be as easy as perusing this site for ten minutes or so. Dude may be corny but he’s a great resource

but PM me if you still have questions. You will need certain things to start and a good quality blender and “basic” kitchen utensils are a must. I think the guy even walks through his sources for bottles and all that kinda stuff

Thanks!

I have many quality kitchen stuffs so good there.

Thanks!

I have many quality kitchen stuffs so good there.
Happy fermenting. One of the best ones I’ve made was loosely based on the serrano recipe on his site. I gave a bunch away and still have various neighbors asking for another batch at least once a week. Peppers, vinegar, and salt can be all you need when done correctly

The most ghost peppers I’ve used in a batch so far is six. I have prob 70-80 ready in the garden plus as many serranos/jalapeños/Thai. I have no clue what I’m gonna do with all these gd peppers.

Back