Spicy Sauces

Jerm

Staff member
Said it before but the black label is so good. It’s smoky and a little funky and goes great on everything
Tasted it tonight. You are correct. El Yucateco Black Label Reserve is the perfect combo of spice, tang and heat, and just a great depth of flavor. Seems pretty versatile too, I'm a fan.

Also tasted the Chipotle one (exactly as advertised, almost more salsa like than hot sauce like in flavor) and Caribbean (it's good but I'd definitely take Marie Sharpe over it for Caribbean).

Stopped in World Market tonight for the first time since the lockdown and they had Torchbearer’s Garlic Reaper. Neat. No new Secret Aardvark shipments yet I guess... bare shelf.

Also got some much needed Marconi Hot Giardiniera.

I'm currently fermenting a jar of Thai chili peppers with a few serranos in the mix. The brine is lip-numbing hot, so I thought about adding fruits/veggies before I blend. Maybe mango? Carrot?

Anyone have recipes or thoughts? There's so much stuff online for mango+habanero, but these Bangkok peppers are clearly less common.
Test batch of Thai chili & mango hot sauce

Fermented the peppers with garlic for 6 days. Blended with white wine vinegar, some of the brine, and mango. Added an ounce of Balcones single malt whisky and simmered about 15 min to stop the fermentation.

Yielded two of these and a bit extra. Funky, bright spice from the Thai peppers, and just the right sweetness from the mango. The only change I’d make is thinning it out, but that’s nitpicking.

EF009E1A-C5E5-477C-B417-D6D88C8726D7.jpeg

Saw Aardvark products (secret, serrabanero, jerk) at Whole Foods tonight while picking up some Yellowbird. A little bit of a markup from other places, but nice to not have to go out of the way.
I just grabbed a bottle of Secret Aardvark Habanero from our local Fresh Market last week. It was my first time trying it and I’m definitely enjoying. Plus it was on sale for $6.99 an 8oz bottle so I thought that was reasonable pricing