Soup is a Magic Elixir

Haven't added them to soup in well over a decade but these were my favorite in High School.

077544297807.jpg

I used to feel this way and then read a convincing argument that it's problematic we get upset at (mostly women) bloggers who tell a story about a recipe but happily watch Bourdain or Ramsay or other (mostly men) famous chefs do the same thing on TV.
That's fair. Despite the fact that I don't watch cooking shows on TV, I realize that's just my experience and also this is a way that a lot of these bloggers make some income. Were it just a database of recipes it would be better for me personally but not them.

I'll still Ctrl+F for that "Print Recipe" tho.

I would also like to point out it’s not always a story. Any of you Great British Baking Show fans? Like profiteroles? I needed that long ass essay to explain the science and method behind chioux when I made my own the first time. A+ would technical recipe again.

I would also like to point out it’s not always a story. Any of you Great British Baking Show fans? Like profiteroles? I needed that long ass essay to explain the science and method behind chioux when I made my own the first time. A+ would technical recipe again.
Oh, I'm all about that kind of thing. I have this book for exactly that reason:

We have a high of 57˚ today and it is officially soup season. Can we do a recipe dump in here? All of you soup aficionados copy pasta your favorite recipes for fall/winter. This was our go-to for a quick dinner last year Instant Pot Tortilla Soup. It'd be nice to have a list here for easy access
Is split pea soup a thing in the states? It's the quintessential winter food here.
500g split peas
2,5L water
300g pork shoulder
200g smoked bacon (one intact piece)
1 onion
1 leek
200g celeriac
200g carrot
1 potato
1 smoked sausage
salt, pepper and celery leaf to season

Wash splitpeas, add to dutch oven with the pork shoulder and bacon and simmer for an hour while skimming the scum.
Shred the meat, toss it back, toss in the rest of the ingredients and go ice-skating while it simmers for a couple hours.

Usually served with rye bread with bacon. Super oldschool.

Other favorites:

Cassouletsoup

3L of good chicken stock
2 confit duck legs
2 tbsp of duck fat
2 onions
2 or 3 or something cloves of garlic
3 stalks of celery
3 carrots
400 grams of smoked bacon
70g of tomato paste
0,5L of white wine
bay leaf, thyme, rosemary
1 can (400g) of tomato (cubes)
800g white beans (less if dry)
salt, pepper, parsley
smoked sausage (toss those in at the end)

So close to cassoulet it will still make you want to lay on the couch all day after a bowl but still a soup.
Kind of evident how to make it, just put the duck legs in the oven with the extra fat beforehand, than shred and throw into soup. Don't boil the duck.

Mulligatawny

2 L Vegetable stock
3 onions
2 cloves of garlic
1 chili
couple of lime leaves
3 stalks of celery
4 carrots
1 stalk of lemongrass
250 g rice
turmeric
smoked paprika
garam masala
2 tbsp of yellow currypaste
400 g tomato cubes (can)
salt
2 red bell peppers (preferably the pointy, sweeter, ones)
peanut oil
4 papadums
yoghurt

The only hard part is timing it so the rice isn't overcooked. You want to cook the rice with the onions and stuff in oil before boiling with the tomato and vegetable stock.
You can swap the rice for lentils.

Is split pea soup a thing in the states? It's the quintessential winter food here.
500g split peas
2,5L water
300g pork shoulder
1 onion
1 leek
200g celeriac
200g carrot
1 potato
1 smoked sausage

Wash splitpeas, add to dutch oven with the pork shoulder and bacon and simmer for an hour while skimming the scum.
Shred the meat, toss it back, toss in the rest of the ingredients and go ice-skating while it simmers for a couple hours.

Other favorites:

Cassouletsoup

3L of good chicken stock
2 confit duck legs
2 tbsp of duck fat
2 onions
3 stalks of celery
3 carrots
70g of tomato paste
0,5L of white wine
salt, pepper, parsley

So close to cassoulet it will still make you want to lay on the couch all day after a bowl but still a soup.
Kind of evident how to make it, just put the duck legs in the oven with the extra fat beforehand, than shred and throw into soup. Don't boil the duck.

Mulligatawny

2 L Vegetable stock
3 onions
2 cloves of garlic
1 chili
couple of lime leaves
3 stalks of celery
4 carrots
1 stalk of lemongrass
250 g rice
turmeric
smoked paprika
garam masala
400 g tomato cubes (can)
salt
peanut oil
4 papadums
yoghurt

The only hard part is timing it so the rice isn't overcooked. You want to cook the rice with the onions and stuff in oil before boiling with the tomato and vegetable stock.
The g measurement is for gallons, right?

500g split peas
2,5L water
300g pork shoulder
1 onion
1 leek
200g celeriac
200g carrot
1 potato
1 smoked sausage

Other favorites:

Cassouletsoup

3L of good chicken stock
2 confit duck legs
2 tbsp of duck fat
2 onions
3 stalks of celery
3 carrots
70g of tomato paste
0,5L of white wine
salt, pepper, parsley

Mulligatawny

2 L Vegetable stock
3 onions
2 cloves of garlic
1 chili
couple of lime leaves
3 stalks of celery
4 carrots
1 stalk of lemongrass
250 g rice
turmeric
smoked paprika
garam masala
400 g tomato cubes (can)
salt
peanut oil
4 papadums
yoghurt

Split pea is, but spring pea is far superior

500g split peas
2,5L water
300g pork shoulder
1 onion
1 leek
200g celeriac
200g carrot
1 potato
1 smoked sausage

Other favorites:

Cassouletsoup

3L of good chicken stock
2 confit duck legs
2 tbsp of duck fat
2 onions
3 stalks of celery
3 carrots
70g of tomato paste
0,5L of white wine
salt, pepper, parsley

Mulligatawny

2 L Vegetable stock
3 onions
2 cloves of garlic
1 chili
couple of lime leaves
3 stalks of celery
4 carrots
1 stalk of lemongrass
250 g rice
turmeric
smoked paprika
garam masala
400 g tomato cubes (can)
salt
peanut oil
4 papadums
yoghurt

Man I haven't had split pea in years. No way my wife will eat it (she hates peas) but I might have to make a batch for myself that recipe sounds excellent

I shared this recipe on another site in the Crock Pot thread, but this can also be executed in an instapot in 45 minutes (not quite as good, but still good)

Gaspar's Pho

2 bone-in chicken breasts
Star anise
Ginger
Clove
Cinnamon
Garlic
Chicken stock
Brown sugar
Fish sauce
Sesame oil
Soy sauce
Sriracha
Lime
Cilantro
Jalapeno
Fresh bean sprouts
Rice noodles

Get yourself a slow cooker. Put 48oz of broth in that bitch. Add 2 whole star anise (or 10-15 little seeds if you’s a broke bitch), 1 cinnamon stick, soy and Sriracha to taste (or on the side, post-cooking), 1TSP fish sauce, 1 1/2TSP sesame oil and about 12 cloves. Toss in like 1 ½ TBS brown sugar, mince up 3 good sized pieces of garlic (mince them finer than a motherfucker) and add that shit. Peel and slice the ginger (you’ll need about 15 2/3” matchsticks). Toss in about 8 stalks of cilantro, squeeze in a half a lime then drop the rind in that bitch and add the fucking bird. Slow cook the shit out of it for about 8 hours on low, or about 5 hours on low (then one hour on high). Take out the chicken and pull the flesh off the fucking bone, shredding that shit with forks-akimbo. Fish out the ginger, cloves and anise as best you can. Throw the meat back in for like 15 minutes while you or your bitch boils some thin rice noodles.

Throw the pho and rice noodles in some big ass bowls, serve bean sprout, cilantro, lime, fresh jalapeno slices, sriracha, hoisin and soy on the side. Eat that fucker with some pimp-ass porcelain chop sticks and get laid.

Cheers.

Mulligatawny

2 L Vegetable stock
3 onions
2 cloves of garlic
1 chili
couple of lime leaves
3 stalks of celery
4 carrots
1 stalk of lemongrass
250 g rice
turmeric
smoked paprika
garam masala
400 g tomato cubes (can)
salt
peanut oil
4 papadums
yoghurt

Of all the Indian food I miss the most, I think Mulligatawny is top of the list.

Back