Running

multiple pairs, but the same brand. tending to put somewhere between 4-500 miles on a pair before switching to a new one. now, that takes me more like 4-5 months vs. what would take you around 2.

i've had luck (knock on wood) keeping the miles down (25/week tops) and not running back to back days if i can help it (or if i do, it's low miles) so haven't felt the need to switch shoe brands... though sometimes when 1 pair is ending its useful life, i rotate the new ones in by alternating wearing them (monday old pair, wednesday new pair, friday old pair, etc.) for a few weeks and that seems to ease the transition.

multiple pairs, but the same brand. tending to put somewhere between 4-500 miles on a pair before switching to a new one. now, that takes me more like 4-5 months vs. what would take you around 2.

i've had luck (knock on wood) keeping the miles down (25/week tops) and not running back to back days if i can help it (or if i do, it's low miles) so haven't felt the need to switch shoe brands... though sometimes when 1 pair is ending its useful life, i rotate the new ones in by alternating wearing them (monday old pair, wednesday new pair, friday old pair, etc.) for a few weeks and that seems to ease the transition.
Awesome. Thanks for the useful info. Looks like I’m looking at another pair of shoes for this season.

For the record, that 40-50 miles/wk was only for 2 weeks last summer, when:

Felt-Like-Running.gif

I am definitely in the same ballpark as you of ~25/mi each week.

Awesome. Thanks for the useful info. Looks like I’m looking at another pair of shoes for this season.

For the record, that 40-50 miles/wk was only for 2 weeks last summer, when:

Felt-Like-Running.gif

I am definitely in the same ballpark as you of ~25/mi each week.

for me, i don't even pay attention total miles until after the fact. and it's not an exact number, but i can get figure it pretty closely based on memory. i'm more paying attention to how fatigued my legs are when i run. near the end of a pair of shoes life even a 2-3 mile run makes my legs tired & sore.

getting a new pair is like running on clouds and 8-10 miles doesn't wind up feeling like i've run at all.

for me, i don't even pay attention total miles until after the fact. and it's not an exact number, but i can get figure it pretty closely based on memory. i'm more paying attention to how fatigued my legs are when i run. near the end of a pair of shoes life even a 2-3 mile run makes my legs tired & sore.

getting a new pair is like running on clouds and 8-10 miles doesn't wind up feeling like i've run at all.

well, that's an awkward double negative that i can't edit.

new shoes are so comfortable that your legs are going to thank you for it.

BTW, I wanted to thanks all here who provided helpful info on running form and stretching - advice to lessen pain/injury from running outside.

Before this all started, I hadn't run over 4 mi in my life.

I've now done 10K twice in quarantine, and 5 mi more times than I can count, including back-to-back days W-Th this week.

Thanks again,

Yours in "pew pew"

The local ultimate frisbee team is doing online workouts and weekly challenges. This week’s challenge was to run 3km and pick your time beforehand; simply sub 18min, sub15, or sub 12. I went for sub 12 and thought I’d get out without the stroller, but I haven’t had the chance. So I tried with the stroller today and pushing the lil one:

D2D7B1C0-38AD-43C9-90EA-11D9C014B59B.jpeg
86DB16F6-2FEF-4341-8F89-73EC0588A239.png

I've been doing three runs a week now - Sunday is the long mega hill run, Tuesday is recovery, Friday is my timed 3.75 mile run.

Interestingly, for my timed run, I got stuck in a bit of a rut. On 4/16, I ran it in 31:50. The next two weeks I ran 32:00 and 31:59, respectively. Finally last week I stopped listening to podcasts and had some pump up tunes and ran 30:52. Kept up the trend this week and got 30:06 (8:01/mile).

Lesson learned: podcasts don't excite the blood as much as Titus Andronicus.

Also for funsies, here are my pace splits on the 4/16 (31:50) run vs. the 30:06 run today:
1. 11:09 vs 10:19 (this is the 500' climb)
2. 7:42 vs. 7:32
3. 7:16 vs. 6:58
3.75. 7:37 vs 7:03 (pace per mile, not time)

Last night was one of the warmest & most humid nights so far this year, 70 degrees. I ran 8 miles, with the last 3 miles, picking up my pace. Ended up sweating the most I have all year. This morning, I ran 14 miles at a mostly leisurely pace until at mile 11, some guy came up on my heels. Thankfully, I had enough in the tank, to run faster and never have him pass me. I'm bummed that I have not raced this year. So, I'm even more motivated than normal when a runner of similar or slightly faster pacer is encountered on the area roads.

It took me a year, but I’m finally exploring the site. 😳

Hi everyone!

Last year was the highest mileage year in my adult life. In the peak of summer for 1-2 weeks, I was up to 40-50 miles/wk. It might not scratch the surface for some, but it was a good personal accomplishment. Unfortunately, I got a case of anterior tendonitis in September, and that stopped all running for months.

I joined a gym, and started mixing resistance training in with non-impact cardio. Before Covid hit I was probably in the best shape of the last 10 yrs.

Now, I’m back to only running. Which I’m ok with, was hoping I could keep up resistance training as well, but that’s a lost cause for me during shelter in place etc...

The question I have for the group... I want to prevent another flare up of tendonitis. I read that having multiple running shoes in differing brands can help work the tendons in different ways vs. the same day in/day out. Does anyone cycle through multiple shoes in a season?

Always keep multiple pairs of shoes. Don't run on the same pair on back to back days. If you have a model that works best for you, just switch between two pairs of those (different colors help, not joking).

I used to be able to get well over 1000 miles on a pair of shoes, as I have pretty good form and I weighed about 120 lbs. Now it's closer to 500-600 miles on a pair...and it takes me much, much longer. I also do not recommend that for most people. At least look at new shoes by 300 miles for most people. Could be more depending on your form.

Multiple shoes is a must, as are good socks, which has been mentioned. I generally have 3 shoes I run on, currently Nike zoom fly flyknit (just got these after having the regular zoom fly and love them! So cushy and fast), Nike Pegasus (IMO one of the best all around shoes), Nike Wildhorse (trail).

I desperately need new shoes as I’m wearing my trail runners to the insole. Problem is Saucony changed up the fit of the shoe and I cannot for the life of me find a pair that fits. I’ve bought and returned about 10 pairs(different sizes, widths, and versions)so far since they all dig into the side of my foot. The last place I want to go right now is a shoe store(or any retail environment for that matter).

So I’ll continue mashing these into extinction.
image.jpg

I have pretty good form

question: HOW?????????????????

is this something you worked on with a coach? natural?

takes me time to get in to a rhythm and to maintain a decent form. not any sort of ideal running posture, but at least a stable, consistent, repeatable motion. maybe not fair to compare since i live near a college, but the kids i see running by look like freaking Olympic athletes. so steady, smooth and fast. they look like runners.

i look like a middle-aged man falling down several flights of stairs.

I desperately need new shoes as I’m wearing my trail runners to the insole. Problem is Saucony changed up the fit of the shoe and I cannot for the life of me find a pair that fits. I’ve bought and returned about 10 pairs(different sizes, widths, and versions)so far since they all dig into the side of my foot. The last place I want to go right now is a shoe store(or any retail environment for that matter).

image.jpg

RIP your back and knees

image.jpg

Saucony did the same on their road shoes, and I had the same issue. Kept returning them and trying to find one that properly. After my 5th return, I said F-it and tried different brands. Finally settled on Nike Air Zoom Structure.

Saucony did the same on their road shoes, and I had the same issue. Kept returning them and trying to find one that properly. After my 5th return, I said F-it and tried different brands. Finally settled on Nike Air Zoom Structure.

I’m really tempted to go back to Nikes. Outside of Saucony and the occasional pair of Brooks, Nikes actually fit decently.

Back