Random COVID-19 Thoughts Thread

RyanG

🦋🥕
How I am picturing everyone with glasses.

blinking trailer park boys GIF

Jerm

Staff member
I understand that everyone is different, but I started wearing contacts 25 years ago and haven't looked back. I haven't been seen in public in glasses in two decades.

I have worn glasses since I was about 16. Can't stand the idea of touching my eyeballs, have never worn contacts in my life.

I understand that everyone is different, but I started wearing contacts 25 years ago and haven't looked back. I haven't been seen in public in glasses in two decades.

I have an eye condition and my eye doctor won't even prescribe them to me. I also don't want to touch my eyeball like Jerm so I guess it all works out.

There’s something wrong with my eyes that I can’t wear them.

plus they probably add at least 12 IQ points.

Mixed news:

It's good that it's getting approved, not so good that there's no real supply, and not great that the efficacy is so much lower than the mRNA ones. I'm sure it'll be valuable in places that don't have the distribution capacity for the mRNA ones (although pfizer said recently theirs can actually use a normal freezer, not sure how they cocked that up), but it seems like it's a bit too late to really help most of the US, and given the lower efficacy will anyone even want it?

Mixed news:

It's good that it's getting approved, not so good that there's no real supply, and not great that the efficacy is so much lower than the mRNA ones. I'm sure it'll be valuable in places that don't have the distribution capacity for the mRNA ones (although pfizer said recently theirs can actually use a normal freezer, not sure how they cocked that up), but it seems like it's a bit too late to really help most of the US, and given the lower efficacy will anyone even want it?

100% prevention of hospitalization and death. But I agree, I think there will be reluctancy to take it with Pfizer and Moderna having such higher efficacy.

100% prevention of hospitalization and death. But I agree, I think there will be reluctancy to take it with Pfizer and Moderna having such higher efficacy.
I must have misinterpreted something, I remember it being lower than that. Of course with ~45k enrollees and of order 100 cases* you don't expect any deaths in either arm, so I'm not sure how meaningful that is. I guess we'll find out! I also don't know how much the variable efficacy will matter, there just won't be a meaningful number of doses of this one until a point where basically anyone can get an appointment for the mRNA ones, it seems like you'll just be seeing a split between places that have the infrastructure for the mRNA ones vs those that don't.

*I'm assuming it's around here just because that's where the mRNA ones were, I haven't seen a number. But the CFR is <1% so you don't really expect to see any deaths in a trial unless you keep it going well past the point where you have enough data to determine efficacy at preventing illness.

Mixed news:

Absolutely agree this won't get much traction in the US, but to help stop a global pandemic this is fantastic news and hopefully they can get production up and supply places without the ability to handle the mRNA vaccines (like you said). If they can get this produced and distributed where needed rather than trying to compete with the mRNA vaccine here, it will be a great step in preventing future variants from arising.

RyanG

🦋🥕
At the pace Kaiser is going, I will take that J&J vaccine from the dude down by the river in the van.

A handful of peers that are friends and friends of friends have gotten then .rar vaccines. They seemed to get them under interesting/dubious circumstances like I "I was on the waitlist and just took someone else's spot" or "I am a caregiver for my child with blank condition."

Guess I know how they got them.

But in the end all for getting shots in arms so we can expand this nationwide 5g network.

Buddy just told me Washington County, OR is opening back up at 50% this Friday, to include gyms and entertainment. Not sure what their restaurant capacity is.