Random COVID-19 Thoughts Thread

OceanOfMead

Staff member
I’m always shocked there aren’t more female engineers. Where I work now has around 10 which is a lot for the size of the company. But when I was in school there was maybe 1 woman for every 30 guys.
My company is making a big push on hiring and retention of women across all roles, started a chapter of SWE, etc., but the problem starts in grade school when teachers have traditionally held a belief that “girls just aren’t as good at math” so when test scores start supporting that belief it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy rather than looking at how the subject is taught or why. There has obviously been a big push to change that in the last 10-15 years, and my case was very individualized to me.

My company is making a big push on hiring and retention of women across all roles, started a chapter of SWE, etc., but the problem starts in grade school when teachers have traditionally held a belief that “girls just aren’t as good at math” so when test scores start supporting that belief it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy rather than looking at how the subject is taught or why. There has obviously been a big push to change that in the last 10-15 years, and my case was very individualized to me.
Some of the hardest working/brightest students I teach are girls. We also have a Women Engineering club at our school. Agreed there is a big push at the high school and middle school level. Our school also does a great job of encouraging girls to take higher level math and science courses.

I’m always shocked there aren’t more female engineers. Where I work now has around 10 which is a lot for the size of the company. But when I was in school there was maybe 1 woman for every 30 guys.
In the Civil Engineering program at Illinois many years ago, there was a surprisingly decent number of female students, especially for the time.

I think our local school district must be doing a good job too, many neighbors with HS-aged daughters are in Lego, engineering clubs, etc.

Chiming in as part of the ‘went to school to do a thing and am currently doing that thing’ contingent. Middle/upper middle class parent helped with the undergrad portion of my 5.5 year Physical Therapy degree. Paid off grad school in 3-4 yrs working as a physical therapist (with Athletico for you Chicagoland folks). Now the director of a physical therapy clinic.

with the chance to do it over, not sure I’d change much, tho the kids that got B’s through their accounting or whatever degree but then went to Kellog seemed to end up doing pretty well

tosh

Send me Percy Pigs
I pretty much became a lawyer so that when I told someone what I did, they knew what I did and moved on.

Seems like most of the rest of you didn’t give a flying fuck about that concern.
Given my (lnmited) interactions with professional athletes. They do the same

‘Don’t you know who am I am’

‘fuck off you chief. I am only working with you as I don't care or know idea who you are’

circa Alex Smith 2004

I pretty much became a lawyer so that when I told someone what I did, they knew what I did and moved on.

Seems like most of the rest of you didn’t give a flying fuck about that concern.