Random COVID-19 Thoughts Thread

This article is so garbled I can't even tell what the study purports to find, but I managed to find the original report here. It looks like it's saying that levels of antibodies in the blood go down with time, which is expected and may not say anything in terms of duration of immunity (antibodies != entire immune response). There is one graph that shows neutralization against "pseudovirus" goes down with time, but I think that's also to be expected against blood in a test tube. It's hard to know exactly what this means in terms of the duration of protection, and it says nothing about what it does to the severity of the illness if you did contract the disease. But I think we should probably expect to be getting covid-19 boosters either yearly or every other year now. Maybe they'll just bundle it with the flu shot. My dream is that mRNA makes it easy enough to create vaccines against a huge array of viruses that we start getting covid/flu/rhinovirus shots and murder all these stupid viruses once and for all, but that may not be in the cards.

Sage, Beerologist, am I reading this right?

Found a second appointment with the right shot for the right day (Friday), but it was a 1hr 20 minute drive away, at a HyVee pharmacy. The drive was perfect both ways.

Had to wait about 1hr 40 minutes past my appointment time when I arrived - I figured I might be in for a wait when the (TBer?) dude in front of me was drinking a craft beer of some sort (I couldn't get a read on the label without being obvious - I think it said maibock). The open can was stashed in a shelf of shampoo bottles.

There was only 1 pharmacist, and she was doing shots, anitbody tests, and also routine pharmacy stuff. I also think part of the delay was they were being hard-asses about the 15 minute observation after. Everyone had to go to something called The Club Room (which cracked me up - the Club Room at HyVee, very exclusive), and they wouldn't give you your card back until your 15 minutes were up - and of course, the Club Room had limited capacity, so they would crank through 5 or 6 shots, then pause for 15 minutes. Absolutely no complaints, they were definitely all doing the best they could.

It sounds like my after-effects were in line with what everyone else has had (though not as bad as some) - woke up Saturday morning feeling almost perfect - arm wasn't even as sore as shot 1. Noticed a mild headache, slight chills and body aches. I went about a low-key Saturday, but by dinner time roughly, I barely had the energy to complete my shopping list, and by bed-time, I'd say my headache had progressed to "pretty bad" and I just was done.

Woke up Sunday good as new.

OceanOfMead

Staff member
apparently according to an Israeli stufy,the SA variant can break through the Pfizer vaccine but the UK variant is so dominant that it isn’t circulating well here. That may change as more folks get vaccinated I guess. I can look for the article on it, but it did not fill me with warm fuzzies. The vaccine is still quite effective but I anticipate a booster at some point.

This article is so garbled I can't even tell what the study purports to find, but I managed to find the original report here. It looks like it's saying that levels of antibodies in the blood go down with time, which is expected and may not say anything in terms of duration of immunity (antibodies != entire immune response). There is one graph that shows neutralization against "pseudovirus" goes down with time, but I think that's also to be expected against blood in a test tube. It's hard to know exactly what this means in terms of the duration of protection, and it says nothing about what it does to the severity of the illness if you did contract the disease. But I think we should probably expect to be getting covid-19 boosters either yearly or every other year now. Maybe they'll just bundle it with the flu shot. My dream is that mRNA makes it easy enough to create vaccines against a huge array of viruses that we start getting covid/flu/rhinovirus shots and murder all these stupid viruses once and for all, but that may not be in the cards.

Sage, Beerologist, am I reading this right?
Without reading the media article and just reading the NEJM report, it appears that the number of antibodies decreases slowly after the second dose (which is absolutely expected), BUT it remains higher than what was present after the first dose, and seems to indicate the vaccine is functioning quite well and as expected. It also in no way means immune response is decreased.
To directly quote the conclusion of the authors:
Our data show antibody persistence and thus support the use of this vaccine in addressing the Covid-19 pandemic.

Found a second appointment with the right shot for the right day (Friday), but it was a 1hr 20 minute drive away, at a HyVee pharmacy. The drive was perfect both ways.

Had to wait about 1hr 40 minutes past my appointment time when I arrived - I figured I might be in for a wait when the (TBer?) dude in front of me was drinking a craft beer of some sort (I couldn't get a read on the label without being obvious - I think it said maibock). The open can was stashed in a shelf of shampoo bottles.

There was only 1 pharmacist, and she was doing shots, anitbody tests, and also routine pharmacy stuff. I also think part of the delay was they were being hard-asses about the 15 minute observation after. Everyone had to go to something called The Club Room (which cracked me up - the Club Room at HyVee, very exclusive), and they wouldn't give you your card back until your 15 minutes were up - and of course, the Club Room had limited capacity, so they would crank through 5 or 6 shots, then pause for 15 minutes. Absolutely no complaints, they were definitely all doing the best they could.

It sounds like my after-effects were in line with what everyone else has had (though not as bad as some) - woke up Saturday morning feeling almost perfect - arm wasn't even as sore as shot 1. Noticed a mild headache, slight chills and body aches. I went about a low-key Saturday, but by dinner time roughly, I barely had the energy to complete my shopping list, and by bed-time, I'd say my headache had progressed to "pretty bad" and I just was done.

Woke up Sunday good as new.

Sorry for partying.

Also, that's dumb that your 2nd dose wasn't scheduled concurrently with the first.

I got mine at CVS and when you signed up for the first dose, the second dose appointment came along with it. 21 days apart to the hour. Even autopopulated my phone calendar events.

Sorry for partying.

Also, that's dumb that your 2nd dose wasn't scheduled concurrently with the first.

I got mine at CVS and when you signed up for the first dose, the second dose appointment came along with it. 21 days apart to the hour. Even autopopulated my phone calendar events.

The full back story was that I was sitting at home on a Friday night when not eligible under current IL standards and I got a text from a buddy that told me that a nearby Walgreens was giving out extras - the pharmacist told me before shot 1 "no guaranteed second appointment" so I agreed to being on my own for the second, banking that eligibility and supply would increase (and man did it ever in the last 4 weeks).

In unrelated news, we just found out last night that the baseball tournament in Cooperstown, NY (I think I mentioned previously) is now in doubt....and not for a reason that I would've guessed.

There are two ballparks in Cooperstown - the A team plays in a tournament at one park, and the B team plays in a tournament at the other - I guess I always thought there was one main Cooperstown organization, but I guess not.

Last week, the field that the A team plays at announced that all players and coaches, age 12 and up, would need to be vaccinated to be allowed to play.

Well....that implies approval for 12-year-old use, parental consent/interest in getting their kids vaccinated, and availability of first dose shots in roughly....6 weeks from now (in order to complete by tourney time 6/26?

My kid is on the B team and the other park/the one he is scheduled to play at hasn't said anything yet, but...

There are always local tournaments, or for the travel experience, maybe we'll all wind up in FL or TX or wherever (bleh).

Really sucks, though, because the Cooperstown tournaments are only for 12 years olds (so this is his one chance to go), and they're legendary locally (you know, everyone's older brother/cousin/etc. got to go).

source.gif

(this is Chapter 11 and I'm sure they'll be fine)

apparently according to an Israeli stufy,the SA variant can break through the Pfizer vaccine but the UK variant is so dominant that it isn’t circulating well here. That may change as more folks get vaccinated I guess. I can look for the article on it, but it did not fill me with warm fuzzies. The vaccine is still quite effective but I anticipate a booster at some point.
Here is the preprint (not peer reviewed) release of that study. Breakthroughs between shot 1 and shot 2 were predominately the UK variant, while after receiving the second dose the South African variant was predominant in those that were infected. A quick skim makes it seem like people are testing positive with mild symptoms. Breakthrough events are still rare, but their occurrence supports continued precautions including wearing masks and distancing.

Slowly seeing an uptick in cases again. We had closed down almost all covid units apart from our OG, which we split into ICU and non-ICU. We were down to just four patients over the weekend, now we’re back up to 11. I saw a covid patient yesterday for the first time in weeks. Looks like we’re entering another wave, and I think this one will be the real test of the vaccines. I’m holding out hope. The last surge was genuinely awful.