US - West Portland

I honestly hadn't noticed the hop names on the bottom until you said something. Now I'm intrigued- though, I will say I do think I noticed the Cloudburst vs. clear westcoast thing. I thought I must have been crazy since they both had been bough within days from each other, but at different locations. Luckily I liked both.

Ft George is doing three versions of 3-Way this year with different hops in the dry hop process: Citra, Idaho 7 and Cashmere. Citra was first, Idaho 7 cans just came out and Cashmere should be soon. They've made it a part of their advertising campaign online.

Both cans/versions of Citra 3-Way that I had were good, but they were totally different beers and I'd love to know what happened.

This is amazing

giphy.gif

... that being said I did find it pretty funny haha

Craft beer enthusiasts worship brewers like rock stars. So when it was announced earlier this year that Danish brewery Mikkeller would establish a pop-up in town, bringing founder Mikkel Borg Bjergsø's acclaimed beers to Portland for the first time, local beer geeks reacted as if Beyoncé were doing a summer residency at Rontoms.
Yeah, sure Jan.

Yeah, sure Jan.

If they would pay me in food and drink I'd bring my dog there every day for a residency. I don't think that what she is trying to say though.

I'll be the first one on this site's Portland thread to do this:

I'm heading to PDX in a couple weeks with my wife as part of our anniversary trip. We're starting in Seattle for a few days, then here for a few days. No real plans, and neither of us have ever been to either city - our favorite way to travel is to do a little research, but otherwise just wander around, stopping to eat/drink at places we have looked up and then stumbling into cool stuff. I have a few places that I think we're definitely going to hit (Hot Yai, Matt's BBQ Tacos/Prost Marketplace, Lardo), but would love any recs. We're looking to remain in the city, so we're looking for things that are walkable or a reasonable Lyft ride. Restaurants and beer places, as well as cocktails. Also, my wife loves speakeasies, so if you have any recs there, I'd love to hear. We've been to a million in many cities and over the years and aren't just looking for an unmarked bar, though - sometime a little weird/cool/different is always appreciated. We are pretty adventurous people in all regards.

It looks like while we're there, the Oregon Brewers Festival is going on and, while it's been some time since I've actually gone to a festival, it seems like a decent way to taste some super small-time stuff some afternoon that I wouldn't otherwise, plus it seems incredibly chill and cheap ($20 to get in with a handful of tickets, no advance tickets, pretty much sounds like you can roll in, taste a few things, then bounce whenever). Any experiences/thoughts?

That sucks about Tin Bucket, but I'm not surprised - there's rarely more than a couple folks in there when I've been there (not that there was space for many more than that). Have enjoyed the Tin Bucket/Life of Pie one-two punch quite a bit. Hopefully the new bar will be as cool as the Bucket.

I'll be the first one on this site's Portland thread to do this:

I'm heading to PDX in a couple weeks with my wife as part of our anniversary trip. We're starting in Seattle for a few days, then here for a few days. No real plans, and neither of us have ever been to either city - our favorite way to travel is to do a little research, but otherwise just wander around, stopping to eat/drink at places we have looked up and then stumbling into cool stuff. I have a few places that I think we're definitely going to hit (Hot Yai, Matt's BBQ Tacos/Prost Marketplace, Lardo), but would love any recs. We're looking to remain in the city, so we're looking for things that are walkable or a reasonable Lyft ride. Restaurants and beer places, as well as cocktails. Also, my wife loves speakeasies, so if you have any recs there, I'd love to hear. We've been to a million in many cities and over the years and aren't just looking for an unmarked bar, though - sometime a little weird/cool/different is always appreciated. We are pretty adventurous people in all regards.

It looks like while we're there, the Oregon Brewers Festival is going on and, while it's been some time since I've actually gone to a festival, it seems like a decent way to taste some super small-time stuff some afternoon that I wouldn't otherwise, plus it seems incredibly chill and cheap ($20 to get in with a handful of tickets, no advance tickets, pretty much sounds like you can roll in, taste a few things, then bounce whenever). Any experiences/thoughts?

For beer bars, hit the usual suspects... APEX & Beermongers are across the street from each other and a great 1-2 punch. Baerlic is also right up the street. APEX is especially good on a sunny day as it has a great patio. About 1.5 miles NW of APEX is another great patio at Wayfinder. They're newer, but making some of the best lagers in town. Or head a little bit east on Division and hit Little Beast, who make some very good saisons & wilds, and gave a great location with another great patio. I like to sit on the front porch there. It's literally a front porch. It's great.

I don't do cocktails that often, so I'm no expert on the Portland scene, but my wife and I like the vibe at the Sapphire Hotel, which at one time was a hotel (obvs), but also a brothel. That'll also put you close to Belmont Station.

If you're downtown, definitely go to Bailey's/Upper Lip, and if you fancy a cocktail, head to Clyde Common - generally accepted as one of the best cocktail bars in Portland.

Last edited:
That sucks about Tin Bucket, but I'm not surprised - there's rarely more than a couple folks in there when I've been there (not that there was space for many more than that). Have enjoyed the Tin Bucket/Life of Pie one-two punch quite a bit. Hopefully the new bar will be as cool as the Bucket.

Oh, and re: the Oregon Brewers Festival... in my experience it's the opposite of chill, unless you go early on a weekday. Otherwise it's a shit show. It's also generally not showcasing any beers that are particularly rare or interesting, with some exceptions.

I'm not telling you not to check it out, just go in with tempered expectations.

Oh, and re: the Oregon Brewers Festival... in my experience it's the opposite of chill, unless you go early on a weekday. Otherwise it's a shit show. It's also generally not showcasing any beers that are particularly rare or interesting, with some exceptions.

I'm not telling you not to check it out, just go in with tempered expectations.

bramsdell

Back