US - West Portland

I used to love going to Baileys, but I stopped going awhile back due to their location. It's bad enough you have to pay parking, but the worst was dealing with the homeless filth and the crazy drug addicts. The few times I went there last year I noticed how less busy it was. The Upper Lip was even more quiet. I wish them the best of luck in reopening next year, but I would be surprised if that happens. Sadly there will be more craft beer bars shutting down before the end of the year.
homeless filth is a pretty strong take. I mean, they ARE human beings.

I used to take improv classes at Brody just north of Burnside and Broadway and we would go to Upper Lip after class mainly because it was always pretty quiet and a great place to actually talk. I too will miss it. I haven't seen Cam in a minute. Any of you other PDX folks know how he landed? I imagine things have already been hard going back to the beginning of COVID.

I used to take improv classes at Brody just north of Burnside and Broadway and we would go to Upper Lip after class mainly because it was always pretty quiet and a great place to actually talk. I too will miss it. I haven't seen Cam in a minute. Any of you other PDX folks know how he landed? I imagine things have already been hard going back to the beginning of COVID.
You can ask him yourself in the group MMS I sent out!

I wasn't calling the homeless people filth. The filth I was referring to is the mess they make with all their garbage, junk, used needles, and bodily functions. I feel bad for business owners who have to deal with all of that. It's hard enough to get customers as it is. Businesses will continue to move from downtown until something is done about it.

I wasn't calling the homeless people filth. The filth I was referring to is the mess they make with all their garbage, junk, used needles, and bodily functions. I feel bad for business owners who have to deal with all of that. It's hard enough to get customers as it is. Businesses will continue to move from downtown until something is done about it.
Do you feel bad for the homeless people or just the businesses?

So say something like "the filth created by homeless people" instead of just sounding like a terrible person.

Although you will probably still come off bad.

I feel bad for both. We need more help for the homeless who want to improve their lives. The City of Portland just continues to ignore the problem though.
I can agree with that. I guess I’d just think about how you word things, and if you are in fact concerned about both, maybe actually mention both, instead of only lamenting about how businesses feel.

Cheers.

Gosh

thanks for confirming you are an awful person.

It's certainly unpleasant to walk by doorways and become overpowered by the smell of human waste, I won't argue that. And I think the general turn against you in the thread was due to what was interpreted as one-sided response to a nuanced issue. More than any time in recent history we're having discussions around the impact of systemic issues on vulnerable populations, particularly in Portland. Economic uncertainty due to COVID has only exacerbated the already significant issue of homelessness and now literal displacement and dangerous health outcomes from wildfires are a hell of a cherry on top of that shit sundae. I know I personally don't have the silver bullet answer on how to improve the situation, but I think that it's probably some combination of mental health services, drug addiction services, economic and housing assistance, and people in positions of power prioritizing this instead of trying to pretend it's invisible.

Anyway, all this to say that I think folks thought your response maybe lacked some compassion for the people who are most impacted by homelessness, i.e. the homeless, and it had some echoes of the recent "buildings matter more than black lives" reactions with the BLM protests. But that's just my two cents.

It's certainly unpleasant to walk by doorways and become overpowered by the smell of human waste, I won't argue that. And I think the general turn against you in the thread was due to what was interpreted as one-sided response to a nuanced issue. More than any time in recent history we're having discussions around the impact of systemic issues on vulnerable populations, particularly in Portland. Economic uncertainty due to COVID has only exacerbated the already significant issue of homelessness and now literal displacement and dangerous health outcomes from wildfires are a hell of a cherry on top of that shit sundae. I know I personally don't have the silver bullet answer on how to improve the situation, but I think that it's probably some combination of mental health services, drug addiction services, economic and housing assistance, and people in positions of power prioritizing this instead of trying to pretend it's invisible.

Anyway, all this to say that I think folks thought your response maybe lacked some compassion for the people who are most impacted by homelessness, i.e. the homeless, and it had some echoes of the recent "buildings matter more than black lives" reactions with the BLM protests. But that's just my two cents.

Wonderfully said.

There are certain populations who are overwhelmingly and systematically oppressed and more susceptible to homelessness. This is largely due to inequitable and/or racist policies; it is exacerbated by a lack of understanding and compassion for people in such dire situations.

There are many organizations working on this, such as New Avenues for Youth, but they can only do so much and only help so many people. COVID has made the situation even worse.

I feel bad for both. We need more help for the homeless who want to improve their lives. The City of Portland just continues to ignore the problem though.

I have to come back to this comment, and I’m not saying you meant this or knew what you were saying; however, some things within are a bit problematic and should be pointed out:
1) by saying “those who want to improve their lives” one is insinuating that a) a sizeable minority, if not the majority, do not want a better life. This is a very Reaganesque ideology “they choose to be in the streets” which persists to this day. Who really would choose that life? Unless you are calling leaving a violent and abusive home a choice (in the case of having a partner or family members who are abusive and/or discriminate based on your gender and/or sexual orientation, ability, or mental status).
Overwhelming amount of homeless youth left their homes or were kicked out because of who they are. And a disproportionate amount are BIPoC and/or LGBTQ+.
2) it also assumes that people have the means and social capital to change things. Homelessness is often a vicious spiral which is hard to get out of without a lot of support. If I had problems due to bills, losing a job, being kicked out of my home, mental issues I am privileged to have family and friends who would and could help me (social capital). Many do not have that. I am also privileged because I am a white, cis male and society looks at me differently and I automatically, by doing nothing, have a step up on many others.
3) I suspect statements such as this have come from people who have not spoken with too many homeless people.

“The city of Portland continues to ignore the problem.” This is a bit of a platitude and an easy way out. What does one mean when they say such things?

1) are they intimately aware of how much money Portland, or whichever city, spends on programs to help homeless and at-risk people?

And/or:
2) shame on Portland for not having solved centuries of racist policies, lack of a social system, inequitable education, inequitable housing and job markets, predatory lending, and a pervasive neo-liberal system and ideology that benefits from and preys on those with less by continuing the aforementioned shortcomings in society?

Homelessness isn’t a simple problem with a single solution. The entire system within the US needs to change. Thankfully there are people that are trying to change it, and there are organizations helping those who truly need it. But we need to educate ourselves and others around us to affect change and work on allyship, especially if we are in a position of privilege and power.

Cheers:)

I have to come back to this comment, and I’m not saying you meant this or knew what you were saying; however, some things within are a bit problematic and should be pointed out:
1) by saying “those who want to improve their lives” one is insinuating that a) a sizeable minority, if not the majority, do not want a better life. This is a very Reaganesque ideology “they choose to be in the streets” which persists to this day. Who really would choose that life? Unless you are calling leaving a violent and abusive home a choice (in the case of having a partner or family members who are abusive and/or discriminate based on your gender and/or sexual orientation, ability, or mental status).
Overwhelming amount of homeless youth left their homes or were kicked out because of who they are. And a disproportionate amount are BIPoC and/or LGBTQ+.
2) it also assumes that people have the means and social capital to change things. Homelessness is often a vicious spiral which is hard to get out of without a lot of support. If I had problems due to bills, losing a job, being kicked out of my home, mental issues I am privileged to have family and friends who would and could help me (social capital). Many do not have that. I am also privileged because I am a white, cis male and society looks at me differently and I automatically, by doing nothing, have a step up on many others.
3) I suspect statements such as this have come from people who have not spoken with too many homeless people.

“The city of Portland continues to ignore the problem.” This is a bit of a platitude and an easy way out. What does one mean when they say such things?

1) are they intimately aware of how much money Portland, or whichever city, spends on programs to help homeless and at-risk people?

And/or:
2) shame on Portland for not having solved centuries of racist policies, lack of a social system, inequitable education, inequitable housing and job markets, predatory lending, and a pervasive neo-liberal system and ideology that benefits from and preys on those with less by continuing the aforementioned shortcomings in society?

Homelessness isn’t a simple problem with a single solution. The entire system within the US needs to change. Thankfully there are people that are trying to change it, and there are organizations helping those who truly need it. But we need to educate ourselves and others around us to affect change and work on allyship, especially if we are in a position of privilege and power.

Cheers:)
Wonderfully said.

Back