Official Baseball Thread

I said this over the weekend and I have been saying it for months. The NFL does not give a single solitary shit about their players or fans. I think that if they could legally and realistically have full stadiums for a full season, including pre-season, they would. That probably won't happen, but don't be shocked to see them be the first to jump at the chance to have a limited number of fans in the stands wherever and as soon as possible.

But yeah the NFL won't miss a single game. I mean its a sport that by design slowly turns the players' brains into creamed corn, and they want to have them play more games per year, not less. Why would a global fucking pandemic stop them?
Not to turn this into the NFL thread but the league just today said that each team can dictate how many fans they allow. The NFL is the only one of the major team sports leagues that I would say I'm "confident" will play this year. My guess would be no fans and it being a weekly thing to wake up Sunday morning to find the list of players who tested positive for COVID-19 and will be out for two games.

the bubble concepts of the NBA and the NHL are already facing issues. How can traveling with players, coaches, trainers, media people, and various hangers-on actually work out?
Top Rank Boxing is doing the bubble in Las Vegas with CONSIDERABLY fewer people and still had to cancel a main event last week because a fighter tested positive. The question will be how many positive tests will be tolerable and still keep the leagues running? Rosters are going to be a crapshoot any given week. It's going to be a shitshow. While some are saying any champions will deserve asterisks, staying healthy enough to win a title will be a serious fucking accomplishment.

Top Rank Boxing is doing the bubble in Las Vegas with CONSIDERABLY fewer people and still had to cancel a main event last week because a fighter tested positive. The question will be how many positive tests will be tolerable and still keep the leagues running? Rosters are going to be a crapshoot any given week. It's going to be a shitshow. While some are saying any champions will deserve asterisks, staying healthy enough to win a title will be a serious fucking accomplishment.
And then we're going to have false positives that arise from players shedding the virus that will necessitate holding players out for further testing, like what happened to Mikaela Mayer. Shit is going to be weeeeeird.

Assuming they actually do play, MLBTR has a good run down of the rule changes and such. Link below.

As an NL fan I'm fine with the universal DH at this point. Pitchers used to care about making a good faith effort to hit, but that has seemingly gone out the window. If I never see Mike Foltynewicz try to swing a bat again that will be just fine. Starting with a 30 man roster and slowly paring down to the eventual 26. 40 man rosters still in play with an additional 20 being designated as a "taxi squad".

All extra inning games will begin with a runner on 2nd. The runner will be whoever was the last out in the previous inning. I hate this rule so much I can't even begin to fully articulate it.

Has anything come out about their hotel plans? Everyone is getting worked up about the staff @ Disney not being in the "bubble", but are the baseball players just going to be walking around hotels running into regular guests?

Yeah I haven't read anything about that. I know that every team has until the end of this week to give the league their individual plans for where players will train, where they will stay, etc.

What do you do if a team gets hit with mass infections? Automatically forfeit all their games? Call up minor leaguers and hope none of them catch it?

Also, the M's will have to fly to Texas and Arizona. Fuuuuuuuck.

Assuming they actually do play, MLBTR has a good run down of the rule changes and such. Link below.

As an NL fan I'm fine with the universal DH at this point. Pitchers used to care about making a good faith effort to hit, but that has seemingly gone out the window. If I never see Mike Foltynewicz try to swing a bat again that will be just fine. Starting with a 30 man roster and slowly paring down to the eventual 26. 40 man rosters still in play with an additional 20 being designated as a "taxi squad".

All extra inning games will begin with a runner on 2nd. The runner will be whoever was the last out in the previous inning. I hate this rule so much I can't even begin to fully articulate it.

I can't fucking believe they are going to do the runner on 2nd thing. I'd rather not play the season than bring that sort of bush league crap in.

Universal dh is great though!

Why wouldn't they just put a runner on 2nd in the top of the 9th of a tied game. Same premise and possibly no need for a 10th at all.

Updated ZiPS projections from Fangraphs for the 60 game season are interesting. San Diego in the playoffs, the Rays nipping at the Yankees heels in the AL-E and the Cubs hold onto the NL-C despite a rotation so old they've been around since Moses wore short pants.

NL East - ATL
NL Central - CHC
NL West - LAD

WC1 - DC
WC2 - SD

AL East - NYY
AL Central - MIN
AL West - HOU

WC1 - TB
WC2 - CLE

Back