US - South North Carolina Particulars

I-40 from Asheville to TN is a crap drive fwiw. Not much for bottleshops in Asheville since tasty closed. App Vintner is maybe 15 minutes from I-26, not sure how the selection is, haven’t been in years. The other ok option is a semi-sketchy gas station called Hot Spot on Leicester Hwy. They usually have a good selection of NC stuff. It’s 5-10 min from 240/26 interchange.

Zillicoah isn’t letting kids in, so that might hamper your pickup plans. If you’re going to stop at Zebulon, say hi. I’m usually there on Fridays.
Great info, thanks. I would probably just be doing a pick up at Zillicoah or anywhere else for that matter, so that's probably still in play. If we do go for the detour option, I would probably add on the half hour to head to Sevierville through GSM National Park. 40->19->441, it looks like. Assume that is a much nicer drive?

Am I not included in the DM sliding? Well now this just sounds weird.

tenor.gif

Great info, thanks. I would probably just be doing a pick up at Zillicoah or anywhere else for that matter, so that's probably still in play. If we do go for the detour option, I would probably add on the half hour to head to Sevierville through GSM National Park. 40->19->441, it looks like. Assume that is a much nicer drive?
I don’t think they’ll even let you on the property with kids in the car. They have a person id’ing etc at gate into the lot.

Shitty part of I-40 is from Asheville to NC / TN line. Probably doesn’t bother normal people, but it makes me bonkers. Lots of truck traffic and dbag tourons make it hard to go above 45-50 most days.

Nothing here beer wise I’d put my family through extra road time for.

So, looks like we're leaving a day early and spending a night in Asheville to do something at the Biltmore. Can't believe I forgot to ask, but any bottle shops in Asheville that might have some Fantome?

So, looks like we're leaving a day early and spending a night in Asheville to do something at the Biltmore. Can't believe I forgot to ask, but any bottle shops in Asheville that might have some Fantome?
I think there’s a few tomes at the gas station, too. I’ll look if I make a can run later. He was supposed to get me a case of Oxbow farmhouse pale cans and I never heard from him.

Hope you aren’t doing Biltmore tomorrow. Weather is going to be shit.

They’re not terrible, but really just watered down wine with herbs added.

I actually have been meaning to get up there to try it...most of the guest taps up until now have been haze.

So the kids gonna be Dookies or what?
Have you ever heard someone describe Cary as "cool" before?

Have you ever heard someone describe Cary as "cool" before?
Went to Bond Bros. Not amazing, but tolerable. Nice wine shop in town that my wife enjoyed. Got Indian food that everyone was happy with. When we pulled in and I saw nothing but corporate parks, I didn’t expect much.

I’m planning a solo trip to Burlington to see my dad. He only drinks Red Oak but are there any other trendier places in the general area? Probably not more than 20 minutes outside of Burlington.

I’m planning a solo trip to Burlington to see my dad. He only drinks Red Oak but are there any other trendier places in the general area? Probably not more than 20 minutes outside of Burlington.
Forgotten Road Ales is pretty close if you’re into decent, overpriced haze ipas. The owner was called out as an anti masker some time ago if that makes any difference.

Haw River farmhouse ales is just at the edge of your radius. The location is pretty great (there’s a nice grocery, butcher shop, and some other stores in the same area) and they brew some interesting beers but can be hit or miss. The hits are great and the misses aren’t bad… just middling.

That's the best part of Cary. All the good Asian food.
Any specific recommendations? I'm in Cary once or twice a year to visit family (aunt and uncle, and grandpa until he passed and now I'm helping clean out his place). Beer wise I normally just go to The Pharmacy and grab some singles there, or Harris Teeter if I'm in a pinch. Food recommendations are appreciated, because my aunt and uncle are not very adventurous.

I also bought that same Bond Brothers glass BigFrank showed. Every time I drink out of it I'm reminded of my 90something year old grandpa going there with me, getting a couple samples at the bar, and telling them "I'd rather have an Icehouse."

Back