Let's All Go to the Movies

I kinda wanna see it like the TV mini-series version where they combine parts 1 and 2 but in chronological order. Wonder if there's non-edited-for-TV, high res cut out there.
It was on HBOGo for the longest time. Like before HBO Max existed. In HD too.

I'm sure it's out there on the torrent sites if you really really want to watch it. I don't believe it was ever released officially on home media. It's definitely not on DVD/Blu-ray/4K.

Pearl was fine, not great, and not close to reaching the highs of of it's predecessor, X. Where X's look is an ode to the grainy celluloid of 70's grindhouse, Pearl is all about that three-strip technicolor. Pearl also isn't the slasher X is, but rather a character study of farm-bound, not quite well young woman who yearns for more. Current queen of the weirdos, Mia Goth is fantastic again.

I'm still looking forward to MaXXXine. It's cool to have an entire original horror trilogy dropped on us within the span of a year.

Full List:
Inferno, Dario Argento, 1980
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne, Walerian Borowczyk, 1981
Dead & Buried, Gary Sherman, 1981
The House by the Cemetery, Lucio Fulci, 1981
The Funhouse, Tobe Hooper, 1981
Strange Behavior, Michael Laughlin, 1981
Wolfen, Michael Wadleigh, 1981
Scanners, David Cronenberg, 1981
Road Games, Richard Franklin, 1981
The Fan, Ed Bianchi, 1981
Basket Case, Frank Henenlotter, 1982
Next of Kin, Tony Williams, 1982
Cat People, Paul Schrader, 1982
Q: The Winged Serpent, Larry Cohen, 1982
The Slumber Party Massacre, Amy Holden Jones, 1982
The Keep, Michael Mann, 1983
The Hunger, Tony Scott, 1983
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, John McNaughton, 1986
The Hidden, Jack Sholder, 1987
Prince of Darkness, John Carpenter, 1987
White of the Eye, Donald Cammell, 1987
Near Dark, Kathryn Bigelow, 1987
The Vanishing, George Sluizer, 1988
Brain Damage, Frank Henenlotter, 1988
Dream Demon, Harley Cokeliss, 1988
The Blob, Chuck Russell, 1988
Lair of the White Worm, Ken Russell, 1988
Vampire’s Kiss, Robert Bierman, 1989
Society, Brian Yuzna, 1989
Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Shinya Tsukamoto, 1989

The Keep is (I think) the only Michael Mann I’ve never seen. I’d generally heard not good things about it (Mann disowned it, I think), but this will give me an excuse to watch. Q, The Winged Serpent kicks ass and I’ve seen it a bunch, but will gladly re-watch when this collection drops.

The Keep is (I think) the only Michael Mann I’ve never seen. I’d generally heard not good things about it (Mann disowned it, I think), but this will give me an excuse to watch. Q, The Winged Serpent kicks ass and I’ve seen it a bunch, but will gladly re-watch when this collection drops.
I thought I’d seen all the Mann movies and totally forgot about this one. Will definitely watch.

Speaking of Mann movies, I watched Collateral last night. Probably the third time I’ve seen it and first rewatch in ten or so years.

I remember loving this movie but I found it kind of boring last night. While I really like Cruise, looking back he just seems so out of place. And I totally forgot Foxx got an Oscar nomination for this. I thought he was fine but nothing great.

Reading about it later and seeing the initial casting was Russell Crown and Adam Sandler makes me kind of want to see that movie again.

And the third act completely falls apart except for making me remember that LA has a train.

I thought I’d seen all the Mann movies and totally forgot about this one. Will definitely watch.

Speaking of Mann movies, I watched Collateral last night. Probably the third time I’ve seen it and first rewatch in ten or so years.

I remember loving this movie but I found it kind of boring last night. While I really like Cruise, looking back he just seems so out of place. And I totally forgot Foxx got an Oscar nomination for this. I thought he was fine but nothing great.

Reading about it later and seeing the initial casting was Russell Crown and Adam Sandler makes me kind of want to see that movie again.

And the third act completely falls apart except for making me remember that LA has a train
Also never seen The Keep. Always been tempted, but I’ve never been able to do that to Mr. Mann.

I always try to rip through a few of the “now leaving” Criterion movies each month and tonight was Fat City, a movie I haven’t seen since I watched it in a class in college 20+ years ago.

What a performance from Stacy Keach. Just a great bust out drunk performance directed perfectly by John Huston and photographed beautifully by Conrad Hall.

I always try to rip through a few of the “now leaving” Criterion movies each month and tonight was Fat City, a movie I haven’t seen since I watched it in a class in college 20+ years ago.

What a performance from Stacy Keach. Just a great bust out drunk performance directed perfectly by John Huston and photographed beautifully by Conrad Hall.

I liked this movie, but it's so incredibly bleak that I can't imagine I'll be able to watch it again anytime soon.

A similarly bleak boxing movie that you can see in that same collection on the Criterion Channel is The Harder They Fall. It's Bogart's last movie (he was dying during filming and you can tell) and it features a great performance from a young Rod Steiger. I never hear it mentioned among Bogart's classics, and while it's no Treasure of the Sierra Madre or The Maltese Falcon, I think it's very good and worth a watch.

Litheum94

Title Earner
Pearl was fine, not great, and not close to reaching the highs of of it's predecessor, X. Where X's look is an ode to the grainy celluloid of 70's grindhouse, Pearl is all about that three-strip technicolor. Pearl also isn't the slasher X is, but rather a character study of farm-bound, not quite well young woman who yearns for more. Current queen of the weirdos, Mia Goth is fantastic again.

I'm still looking forward to MaXXXine. It's cool to have an entire original horror trilogy dropped on us within the span of a year.
I completely agree with every word of your review. I only see myself watching Pearl again while watching the whole trilogy. Goth’s performance was great, but not compelling enough for me to revisit on its on, whereas I am always down to give X another watch.