Let's All Go to the Movies

The Eyes of Tammy Faye- 3/10
I’m not sure why I thought this would be something it was never destined to be. While I have historically defended the Biopic in these parts, this is every example of why the genre is garbage, with none of the cheap charm provided in things like Bohemian Rhapsody or Ray. Jessica Chastain does yeomans work to provide a bit of depth to a character that is never even attempted to be developed, but good grief.
I hate writing bad reviews, because I hate seeing bad films. But this is flat, unmoving, pretty damn boring, and just… completely uninspired.
Do yourself a favor and skip this clunker in all formats.
I liked Ray and Walk the Line when they came out because I liked the subjects and the Biopic felt more original back then but, geez, these movies coming out now are just unwatchable.

I watched Larry Cohen's The Stuff, an unclassifiable film (sci-fi/horror/comedy/social satire?) about a popular dessert treat that bubbles out of the ground and makes people go crazy. It's a big swing, and it's very cheap-looking and shoddily-edited in spots, but I had a ball watching it. Sort of like a cross between They Live and Idiocracy, both of which seem to be influenced by its crazy tone. Features Michael Moriarty, Garrett Morris, Danny Aiello, Paul Sorvino, and a great Abe Vigoda cameo.

Also re-watched The Taking of Pelham 123, an all-time classic. The 70s were an incredible time when producers decided Walter Matthau was a leading man and everyone just went along with it. The number of movies influenced by this one is beyond comprehension, and it's one of the great 70s NYC movies to boot. I still haven't seen the Tony Scott remake with John Travolta and Denzel Washington. I've heard bad things, but I love late period Tony Scott, especially when he's working with Denzel, so I should probably just check it out.

Saw Card Counter last night. Mostly agree with the assessments of others, though I don’t know that I can fault Tiffany Haddish for coming across too much like Tiffany Haddish and not enough like her character when you can say the same about Willem Dafoe. The film has a serious subject and tells a good story but I think different casting choices may have thrown me out of the story less, even if the big names may be ultimately what gets people to see it. I enjoyed it overall.

The boy can act!

The Big Lebowski Brandt GIF

Watched it...still don't really know what Licorice Pizza is about...will be seeing it the first weekend. I think it's best to be kind of scant on that plot/story info for this kind of movie, tho. Just give us a taste. Hopefully, the Bradley Cooper and Haim factor will get more butts in seats.

I'm woefully out of touch with popular music these days. Is Haim that big of a deal?

Cooper looks wonderfully unhinged.

I'm woefully out of touch with popular music these days. Is Haim that big of a deal?

Cooper looks wonderfully unhinged.
I honestly don't know. I feel like they were huge at one point but that was maybe longer ago than I recall and maybe they weren't that big. I tried looking it up and I think this is only for the UK.

Crazy Bradley Cooper is very intriguing. Saw someone tweet something like he graduated from David O Russell (fake PTA) to PTA lol.

Back